What size rings?

brownth2

FNG
Decided to re-glass my Rem700 and have a Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 OK back order (thank you to all for recommendations and opinions). Now to acquiring rings:

I’ve got a 0moa picatinny mounted over a heavy varmint barrel. Can I get away with Low rings with a 50mm reticle and 30mm tube? Anyone know of a smoking’ hot deal on seekins/vortex match rings? Recommendations for other high quality mounts or rings? I do mostly 3-600yd paper punching with .308

BigLost

FNG
I would think Low might contact the barrel with that profile and a 50mm objective. Medium should work for sure.

Not sure about the vortex rings but if they’re similar to the Talley rings they recommend the high rings for 50mm objective lens. You could order a couple and see what fits. That’s what I did. Otherwise I’d always wonder if I could’ve got it lower and closer to the barrel.

Horseman

Lil-Rokslider
Lay a straight edge on your mount, then measure the clearance from the bottom of the straight edge to the top of the barrel.
From there, you should be able to determine ring height.
Some rings give you height from mount to center line others give "saddle height" (mount to bottom of ring hole).
I'll guess you will get .300-.350" when you measure.
So if the measurement is .300" and your scope objective OD is 2.400" The centerline (1/2 of 2.400") 1.200above the barrel will hit/contact the barrel.
So you need more than 1.200" You have (for this example) a measured .300"
1.200" - .300" = .900" So you need to be above .900" (in my example) to centerline of your scope.
Vortex Pro Series VPR -30M are .970" for medium that would give you .070" clearance (for my example)
You need to check what clearance you have base to barrel and you scope's objective OD to make your own conclusions.

I say you will need Medium rings, Low will be too low.