What sleep pad do you all use?

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah true, but if you go look at most websites right now, which is what OP will do, they're not all there. Good point to bring up though.

XPEDs are great, they're thicker than the thermarest but the 20D fabric vs 30/70D on xtherm has always given me pause. Buy em both and see which is more comfortable, take a patch kit (superlight, do it with every brand).

Understood on fabrics. I've been exclusively on EXPED mats for almost 7yrs now and have yet to puncture a UL 20D mat. It happens for sure, but EXPED is more than happy to repair the mat if that happens, simply ship it to them. So long as you choose your sleep site well and keep your tent for clean you should be good to go

PlanoDano

FNG
Nemo Tensor ultralight insulated for me as well - an yes I am carrying the inflator - very much worth the extra ounce

Nitrous24

FNG
I just bought the klymit insulated static v luxe sl. Will see how it goes for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

gleason51

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the Big Agnes Q Core SLX insulated in a wide/long. I’ve heard great things about it for side sleepers, so decided to give it a shot.

OXN939

WKR
Great pad. I've used that pad for the past 3 seasons.

Think I'm going to one of these for this fall. Anyone ever tried the smallest size? Got one trip on the docket that's gonna be an ounce shaving kinda experience

Enel

FNG
I use a heavier pad that is longer and wider for the comfort. Exped Synmat 3-D 7 34.6 oz. I sleep in all kinds of positions so I needed to be able to not touch the floor and not hear my pad every moment. Also it covers me into most of winter and if necessary I bring a foam pad for extension.

Desertrek

FNG
I love my old school Therm-a-Rest AllSeason. Not the same as the ones that are offered now. I didn’t care for the Xtherm. It was way too noisy for me.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Well guys I appreciate all the input.
I pulled the trigger on a purchase and I will be running with the Therm-a-Rest Neoair Xtherm this fall, It shaved off an entire pound and packs down 60% smaller in comparison to my old Therm-a-Rest pad which served me extremely well for the past 10 years. I have faith in Therm-a-Rest products and am looking forward to using the new pad.

If I'm carrying it on my back I use the old style xtherm year round.

Car camping I use an rei camp pad 3.5", it's a 30" wide pad and weighs 4+ pounds, but man that pad is comfortable.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have four older, thinner Therm-a-Rests — all 20” wide, but with different lengths and thicknesses. I don’t sleep very comfortably with them.

In 2018, I bought an Exped DownMat XP 9 LW. The LW stands for Large Wide (definitely not Light Weight). It is the most comfortable pad I have ever used. The rectangular shape and width really helps.

Last year, I decided to save some weight and got a large XTherm. It is half the weight of the Exped, per the spec sheets. The “crinkling” noise I have heard others complain of wasn’t significant enough to bother me. I did miss the width of the Exped and I now wish I would have bought the rectangular XTherm MAX that is available for only a few ounce weight penalty.

On any future trips where every ounce counts, I will definitely take the XTherm. However, if I were planning a trip with an easy hike out, I would take the DownMat.

HuntNTag

WKR
I second the Klymit static V insulated. You also can check out REI as they have some solid pads that I used with a great R value and you can catch their sales for 25% off. They have it going on right now on REI products.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
ive been using therm-a-rest neo air xlite for years now, thinking about switching to a therm-a-rest z pad. The neo air x lite has been good for me but i tend to roll off the edge in the middle of the night and wake up. hoping the solution to this is a thin z pad, and with R Value of 2.2; also hope it'll keep me warm enough during later season hunts.

Last edited:

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
Paria outdoors recharge s. 23" wide, 4" thick, only 48" long, 13.8 oz on my scale, super comfortable for my tossing and turning side sleeping style. I haven't missed the extra pad under my feet and calves at all.