What sleep pad do you all use?

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advise guys. I am going to research both the Thermarest Neoair Xtherm and the Nemo Tensor insulated Ultralight.

gldenhwk

FNG
I ran the Klymit insulated static V for 2 years as I got it for $45 CDN through an Amazon deal .. worked awesome for that price for that time .. ended up getting a killer deal on a NEMO Tensor insulated for my wife .. my wife preferred the Klymit so we switched and I'm super glad we did .. I love the NEMO and the inflating bag is awesome ..

I can't stand the Thermarest Neoairs .. way to noisy for me .. sounds like rolling on tin foil all night but my brother and other ppl swear by them

Trial153

WKR
Insulated Tensor long and wide. Comes in at 21oz. Been a good pad for me for a couple years.

I would love to save the weight and go to regular size pad however i roll around a bit under my quilt. Seems like everything that is wide and insulated is running about 1.5 pounds and up...

Jauwater

WKR
For the past year I've been using a Insulated REI Flash. The welds have held out on this one, but it has just recently acquired two small holes. The patches held overnight last night during my little backpacking trip. I did, literally just now order the new REI Insulated Flash Rectangular Regular Wide. Supposedly it's new and improved with stronger welds. The pad design feels great to me. I've always used Thermarest in the past. Never had a problem with any of their pads.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Not that it applies to folks on this thread, but I’ve always noticed people way over inflate their pads like it’s a pool toy and then wonder why they have issues with it. I sleep on my side and only put in enough air so that my hips do not hit the ground. It seems under inflated to other people. Just .02c
I think this has to do with a lot of pads no brands in particular when it comes to inflatables. I noticed the comfortability was much better after sleeping on a pad not inflated like a pool toy.

having said that I like my BA Q-core SLX. Especially since I’m a side sleeper.

Reactions: ODB

CoryCa

FNG
I picked up a Klymit static v and pillow for $50 on costco.com a few years back and its held up pretty good and is comfortable. But it is heavy so I will likely upgrade to a tensor when I find it on sale

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
If you are short guy (like I am) the womens thermarest xtherm is just about perfect. Splits the difference in R Value between standard xlite and xtherm. It is only 66inches still weighs only 12 oz and pack extremely well. The valves on the newer ones are significant upgrades as well. I pair it with the zpacks medium pillow which is reversible, 1.8oz, very comfortable, and works perfect as the dry bag for for puffy layers.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Currently using Thermarest ProLite Plus but the large weighs almost 2lbs. I'm curious how much durability I'd be sacrificing to go ultralight.

renagde

WKR
I haven't had a problem with my Thermarest Xtherm. I'll take the added durability of the thicker, older version over the Xlite and the new version of the Xtherm.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
The only downside to thermarest in my experience is the price. As I've reminded folks elsewhere, R-value is not standardized, so companies make up whatever they want. Thermarest is definitely the warmest of them all.

I'd go for a NeoAir if you're looking to shed weight. Just make sure you clear sharp things out from under the tent. Have the xtherm version and it's been super durable, but it's a bit higher denier

For 2020, most companies, and any company being sold at REI is abiding by ASTM standards for r-value testing. So any 2020 production mat will be much more apples to apples when you compare r-values.

And if you want some light reading, EXPED has been testing r-values, 3rd party for almost 20yrs.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo Tensor insulated. I'm willing to carry some extra weight for a good night sleep so I went with the wide/long version and couldn't be happier. As a side sleeper who moves around a lot, the extra height (up to 3") kept my shoulders and hips from cutting through the pad. Sleeping deeper and warmer because of it.

Couldn't make the Xtherm or Xlite to work for me. Too loud and too narrow. Xtherm was definitely warmer but that's not as important to me where I hunt.