What Sleeping Bag?

Matt G.

WKR
Almost wish I didn't buy the SG bag. Awesome deal with schnees.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a promo code for Shcnees or did they just have the Kodiak on sale?

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I found a promo code for schnees. WELCOMEBACK will give you 15 percent off. I would buy one if they had the antelope bag in stock

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I found a promo code for schnees. WELCOMEBACK will give you 15 percent off. I would buy one if they had the antelope bag in stock
I just looked, they don't have the badger in the 6.5'. Currently out of stock.

ianpadron

WKR
I stumbled on this over at ebay.
Might be a pretty decent deal.
He has another listing with the same bag just the 6’ size as well.
Thanks for posting, I ordered the 6'6" version for $450 (make the seller an offer)

Won't beat that deal EVER

Look at the Western Mountaineering Kodiak (down, micro-fiber shell). I suspect it will meet your parameters very well.

I have a WM Badger (micro-fiber)...it is a 15 degree bag that is just perfect for me. It is by far the best made and functional bag that I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot over the years. Made in the USA. Pricey, but worth every penny.

Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with AZ Hunter below...you MUST have a high R-value pad with a down bag.
I second this. I have an Antelope Super Dryloft Down from Western Mountaineering. It's close to 20 years old and it's still my go-to bag for everything. It's easily been used in the field 600+ nights in that time, if not more. I'm 6'2" and 215, it's plenty roomy for me. I've slept out in sub zero temperatures multiple times, warm enough to Bivy hunt 4th season, but comfortable all around for everything, inside of a Outdoor Research Helium Bivy, it still packs down to the size of a volleyball. I actually am getting ready to send it back to get re-lofted. It's that good of a bag. Their quality is worth every penny.

For a much more budget friendly bag, I've had good luck with an REI brand down bag, it's easily as old as my WM bag, and while not in perfect condition like my WM, it has held up well. It's seen at least as many days as the WM bag, I used it heavily backpacking Australia and New Zealand in college, and used it every archery season for years until I got the quilt. Put one inside an REI brand bivy, and that's a nice budget setup.

Last edited:

Whitty

FNG
If you truly need a 0 degree this might not work but after going through several bags I've settled on the Nemo Disco 15 and been very happy. Much roomier than a mummy style, down, and light for its size. You could throw in a reactor liner bag to get you close to 0 degrees perhaps. Should run around $300ish plus a liner if you need it.

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
If you truly need a 0 degree this might not work but after going through several bags I've settled on the Nemo Disco 15 and been very happy. Much roomier than a mummy style, down, and light for its size. You could throw in a reactor liner bag to get you close to 0 degrees perhaps. Should run around $300ish plus a liner if you need it.

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I went to a local REI yesterday and tried out that exact bag. I don't fit well In a traditional mummy at all. Also need a little more room for a side sleeper. The nemo disco 15 fit with enough room to be comfortable. I will most likely go with that bag and a liner if needed. First choice would be a WM badger if I can find a good deal used. This bag is for a trip to Asia in September, temps shouldn't get below 20 degrees.

Hikein

FNG
40 years I’ve been sleeping in the two same sleeping bags. North Face Inferno for cold cold, and North Face Purple Haze for warmer weather. I chose synthetic for the Inferno simply because in cold and wet synthetic still retains loft, down does not. Now if you find that bargain Goretex Down bag then there you go, but NF has served me well. Of course back 40 years NF was really a Mountaineering Climbing sort of company. But the current stuff look we’ll build too.

sneaky

"DADDY"
40 years I’ve been sleeping in the two same sleeping bags. North Face Inferno for cold cold, and North Face Purple Haze for warmer weather. I chose synthetic for the Inferno simply because in cold and wet synthetic still retains loft, down does not. Now if you find that bargain Goretex Down bag then there you go, but NF has served me well. Of course back 40 years NF was really a Mountaineering Climbing sort of company. But the current stuff look we’ll build too.
How much loft have your synthetic bags lost over the past 40 years? That's the issue with synthetic, their insulative properties drop off much faster than down due to degradation of loft. Would be interesting to see the numbers if they were tested now after all these years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk