What socks for early season?

Hunting New Mexico archery and I don't know if I have a good pair of socks for when it's that warm. I love my first lite compression socks but they go to my knees and I think they may be to hot.

What you guys running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
I think I'm on to something, finally this has plaqued me for awhile. Cheap dress socks from Payless shoes. Seriously they are basically thin liner socks but a tad thicker. Just check the materials. Mine are nylon, polyester and rayon. They do come up high but I just fold them. I still carry warm wool socks for sleeping or through the morning chill. They layer nicely and unlike a traditional liner sock they aren't too thin to wear by themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

halg

Lil-Rokslider
Merino. Preferably heavyweight (I wear them year round) and at least 70% merino.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm really liking my Darn Tough Hiker boot socks. Not too thick, but keep my feet warm down into the 20s and still nice and comfortable into the 60-70s. I haven't worn them out in anything warmer than that, but I don't have any reason to believe they wouldn't be just fine.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
Another fan of Merino here as well. I use different weights for different seasons.

mdfanatic

FNG
Lightweight merino and get whatever size you need to go just above the boot. I'm headed to NM for archery this year myself and I'll have my Lowa Rangers and Cabela's lightweight merino hiking socks (crew I think).

colersu22

WKR
Darn tough micro crew light cushion hiking sock....I wear these almost exclusively

REI link: Access Denied

These are the only socks I have worn for the last 2 years every day no matter the weather unless I have flip flops on. I have about 8 pairs and the rest of my socks turned into rags or got tossed out. I still have yet to try their lifetime warranty since they will just not wear out.

These are the only socks I have worn for the last 2 years every day no matter the weather unless I have flip flops on. I have about 8 pairs and the rest of my socks turned into rags or got tossed out. I still have yet to try their lifetime warranty since they will just not wear out.

I wore them over my pants to keep out ticks, and thorns tore them up a little. I've debated sending them back to test that warranty, but it's my fault so I haven't. Other than that, I've had no problem with them.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
I wore the FL Compression socks last year for first archery in NM. They didn't seem too hot to me. I did use a liner too.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Darn Tough Merino socks! Regular crew height for early season, and the heavy weight merino for late season.