What species for first DIY Western Hunt? (Colorado)

Hey everyone, I know this has probably been talked about alot, so if you have any good links for any related threads that would be great. Any way, me and a buddy are planning our first Western Hunt. He is moving to Colorado this December and we are trying to plan out a three day hunt. We are open to either a Bear or Elk. We aren't after a giant bull, we just want to have a good time and actually see the target species. I am very comfortable with a bow, but we would also consider using a rifle. Basically I am just wondering what's the best meat hunt in Colorado, would you guys suggest just going on a fly fishing trip for our first trip and use it as a scouting trip? Any help would be appreciated!

OP
M
I was considering going the bear/fish combo and spoting the mornings fish a little and spot again. But I don't know if there a any good bear units in Colorado where that would be doable.

cgasner1

WKR
Are you flyingor driving I’d driving have him meet you in Wyoming and do a antelope hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a three day, first time hunt I would recommend antelope. You will see some animals because they live in open country. Also higher chance of success compared to elk or deer.

If you are set on being in the mountains though, I would say make it a fishing & scouting trip

As everyone has stated, 3 days is pretty short. If you could get it up to 5-6 I'd say Elk is the best hunting there is...but it's hard and knowing terrain helps a ton. Antelope is fun...the "family friendly hunt". They are all over, you can spot and stalk, long range hunt, open country hunt, sit over water. Loads of options for hunting and success on Antelope. Deer, you might as well just hunt elk :)

Due to cost of out of state tags, draws, all the complications, I'd vote for fishing and plan out a longer elk trip when you can. If it's anywhere like here, fishing will put you in lot of the same country. You can fish part of the day, and hike and glass other parts of the day. Get a feel for the land.

The other thing a lot of people don't talk about is "acute mountain sickness", the nicer cousin of altitude sickness. Before I lived here, I would get headaches and my chest would burn for a couple of days when I first came to the mountains. You don't want those couple days to be half your hunt time.

Btaylor

WKR
What species for first western hunt should be the one that you want to hunt, period. If you want to hunt elk, go hunt elk. Same for deer, bear, pronghorn etc. If three days in the field is what you have, make the most of it doing what you want to do most not what might be easier. I agree with everyone else that 3 days is not much time at all for a mountain hunt so set your expectations accordingly. What it is though is 3 days more hunting in the mountains than you currently have done and it will start you on your way.

cgasner1

WKR
Whatever you decide just go make the trip and enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thanks for all of the advice! I am leaning towards making it a fishing trip, but my Friend would be a resident at the time, so he might pick up an elk tag just in case. Does anyone have any units to look at as far as fishing and elk?

Go fishing but buy a bear tag. They're $100 for NR and you never know what you might come across.

OP
M
So after watching some antelope videos I think bowhunting with a decoy looks like a blast! Has anyone tried it? I am thinking one of us uses a decoy and the other shoots. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.