What spotting scope and binoculars are you running?

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex Razor HD's 10x42.

I Did a lot of comparing to Swaro and Zeiss that I borrowed from a friend and my dad. All are great IMO but the Vortex seemed to be the best bang for the buck

Foldem

WKR
Swaro 10x50 SLC's and ATS 65MM spotter. I will most likely pick up some 8x32 SLC's before I hit the high country this year though.

bohntr

WKR
My hunting binos are Leica Geovid BRF 10x40....the binos I keep in the truck are Zeiss Classic C 10x40's.

I have a couple different spotting scopes for different uses. For non-backpack hunts I use my Swarovski 65 STM HD. For backpack hunts, I use the Nikon ED50.

a3dhunter

WKR
I have Vortex Razor 10x42 bino's and two spotters.
Vortex Nomad (still looking to upgrade) when near the truck.
Minox MD50 for backpacking.

Both will accomplish what I need, just not as well as I would like.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use kowa optics? I dont any, but ive looked through the glass and the binos 10x42 and the 773 scope, and it was near impossible for me totell the difference against the swaro's but they are 25% cheaper. Just a thought

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone use kowa optics? I dont any, but ive looked through the glass and the binos 10x42 and the 773 scope, and it was near impossible for me totell the difference against the swaro's but they are 25% cheaper. Just a thought

The Kowa 883 spotter is the finest available at any price. There are some concerns about the pure flourite crystal objective being fragile, but I haven't heard of any actual field reports of problems. It is very popular with birders. The 773 is very nice also, and has a more conventional ED objective assembly. The Kowa 773, Swaro 80HD, and Vortex Razor 85HD are all comparable in image quality, IMO. I had them together for a dusk viewing session two summers ago, during my own quest for a big spotter purchase. Hard to tell them apart, really, and right up to dark. The Swaro seemed really light compared to the Razor, though. I ended up going with the Razor, as the extra ounces were worth the money savings. I haven't regretted it, but I wouldn't pass up a great deal on the Swaro, though, as it is really slender and light for an 80mm spotter. It is really amazing what you can see through these high-end big-eye spotters.

I recently looked at the new black armored Zeiss 85tFL with dual-ratio focus and think if anything could give the Kowa 883 a run for the money, it would be the Zeiss. That is one fine image right up to 75x!

I am on a modest budget and am going with a 20-60 vortex nomad and my vortex diamondbacks. Hope to upgrade the binos after this season.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Kiabab2004011.jpg

Started with these 10x42 Leicas and a 65mm Zeiss Diascope. Have since upgraded to 10x Duovids set up with the same Silk tripod and Jim White head. Working on a bigger Bogen tripod to hold the spotter and binos at the same time and for digiscoping.

bbrown

WKR
Vortex Viper 10x42s and Leupold GR 15-30x by 50. I really want to upgrade/add a 80mm spotter - probably a Swaro but I just have to convince the wife that I "need" it.