What Spotting Scope (Budget)

loops

FNG
So I'm in the market for my first spotting scope.

I currently have Maven C1 10x42 Binos which for the price I'm pretty happy with. I'm considering the following scopes and I've listed prices in CAD as that's what it may take for me to import or find locally if i can.

Maven CS.1 15-45x65mm $970 CAD
Hawke Endurance ED 15x45x60mm $750 CAD
Athlon Ares 15-45-65mmUHD $890 CAD
Vanguard Endeavor HD 65a 15-45-65mm $470 CAD

Most importantly looking for a scope that has good detail at range. I was glassing 1000 yards with my binos and was having trouble distinguishing antlers. Would like to be able to hopefully see points at range and have a somewhat sharp enough image to do so. Low light performance would be nice as well. Not too concerned about weight as I'm not doing a lot of backpack hunting yet.

So with those options I know they are all fairly close in quality. Would the Vanguard be close enough to the rest to just save $300+ for now or am I going to see a big jump going to something like the Athlon or the Maven?

HuntNTag

WKR
I have an athlon ares and can’t say enough good things about it. Very similar to the Maven C series spotter as well. I think you would be very happy with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
Ill follow along as I am in that price range as well for a spotter except I want to backpack with mine. Leaning heavily towards maven right now due to its prisms and reviews. I have swaro binos but cant afford a matching spotter lol. The mavens have a schmidt-pechan prism vs the others bak-4s. Id also wager the mavens have better coatings and overall construction. If you are happy with you c1s now, id also bet you would be equally happy with the spotter. Im yet to find one in that size, quality, and price that I like better. Curious to see what others have to say who have looked through the mavens and similar ones.

elkguide

WKR
I had an Athlon Chronus, currently have the Maven S1A. and there is NO comparison to my eyes. With glass you really do get what you pay for and if you're looking to count points at 1000 yards....

I've been researching this price range of scopes for a few months now. From everything I've read, it seems like the Athlon Ares or Maven will be your best bet. I had considered the Vanguard until I came across a review saying that the Vanguard had less clarity than the Leupold Ventana. I currently have a gen1 Ventana 15-45x60, which works well, but clarity/detail falls off past 700 yds.

JRMiller

WKR
Dont get the Vanguard. I just returned one. My 8 year old Celsetron was clearer.
And the Vanguard weighed way more than advertised. It was a brick. At least a pound more than the 80mm Celestron.

I actually have a Hawke 60mm arriving today. I’ll let you know how it pans out.
The Hawkes main asset is its weight, claimed only 31 oz.

fwiw, If cash was not an issue i would get the Maven.

j_volt

WKR
I am a big fan of my Athlon Ares as well, but I cannot directly compare it to any of the others listed.

JRMiller

WKR
Dont get the Vanguard. I just returned one. My 8 year old Celsetron was clearer.
And the Vanguard weighed way more than advertised. It was a brick. At least a pound more than the 80mm Celestron.

I actually have a Hawke 60mm arriving today. I’ll let you know how it pans out.
The Hawkes main asset is its weight, claimed only 31 oz.

fwiw, If cash was not an issue i would get the Maven.
Well, been testing the Hawke all day and so far its not doing well.
The focus knob is notchy and rough making it almost useless. I spent the day using the fine knob instead.
While the view at all distances is very bright, clarity after 200 yards drops off its not much use past 600 yards.
Side by side with my old Celestron, the Celestron still wins at long range.
Low light clarity is excellent, but since clarity falls off past 200, it doesnt do much good.
Build quality is average, but almost below average for this price range.
The Hawke does weigh as claimed, just shy of 32ozs, which is very good weight for a mid size spotter.
Part of me wants to keep it just because of its lightweight and compact.
But to spend $500 on a spotter thats poor at long distance, well whats the point.
I will fork it up and buy the Maven.
Based on the two Maven binos i have im certain i wont be disappointed.

NDGuy

WKR
I will fork it up and buy the Maven.
Based on the two Maven binos i have im certain i wont be disappointed.
Maven gets good reviews, however the Athlon Ares is still a solid pick as many vouched for on this site. Can find it on sale for $499 frequently.

JRMiller

WKR
Maven gets good reviews, however the Athlon Ares is still a solid pick as many vouched for on this site. Can find it on sale for $499 frequently.
Im not inclined to buy another Athlon.
I’ve had two binos ( midas uhd and cronos uhd) from Athlon and both were disappointing for me.
Perhaps Athlon spotting scopes are better than their binos but the two mavens i have are amazing glass for the price so hard to ignore.

mapticon

FNG
I have the cheaper and heavier Athlon Argos, no issues with it. I also have a couple of their scopes and my primary binocs. I'd be the first to admit there's better glass, but not typically at the Athlon price point. The scopes were great when I first got into long range, but quickly realized I wanted more and invested in Leupold and Burris. Long story short: I think Athlon is a solid option.

rj2

WKR
I thought I I have seen a few reports of the eyepiece coming off of the mavens and the user being told to glue it back on. I have an athlon and would like to compare it to maven but I won't buy the maven until I know they fixed the chincy eye piece

Save up a little longer and..... buy once cry once....get a Swarovski and be happy with it for the next 20 years. Over the years I’ve owned a few spotters that would have added up to a Swarovski.

I second this. Don't be afraid to buy used. Search all manners of classifieds and auctions. Earlier this year I bought a brand new Swarovski STS65 non-hd with 20-60x eye piece for a steal off an older gentleman on craigslist in Tennessee. He bought it for a hunt that he never went on so it sat for years unused.

Search every where. The deals are out there.