What state for guided elk hunt?

Have been looking at guided elk hunts and there are some that seem pretty fairly priced. What would be your Top 3 states for a guided hunt, either 1:1 or 2:1. Would be me and a buddy going. We are looking at fall of 2021. If anybody has any personal favorite guides / operations that you'd be willing to share, please PM. Thanks.

rlmmarine

WKR
I went on a guided hunt with Gunnison County Outfitters last summer for a velvet bull elk. Nick did a great job and we all killed out on the first day I would highly recommend him for a good elk hunt.

could could definitely do it in montana for 10k all in. archery or rifle, but the rifle permit would be a tough draw. archery almost garunteed. 280-320 class bulls, i know people personally who hunt the same outfitter every year archery and have harvested 3 of 5 years and one of those years they lost the animal and the other he missed the only shot. so 100% shot opportunity over 5 years.

robie

WKR
New Mexico without a doubt.

Put in for the draw with a guide. Coming from Texas it's a easy choice.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

rlmmarine

WKR
Gunnison co outfitters was 4500 i flew out had it processes and the antlers vacuum freeze drried and shipped back for another 1100

Bob92057

FNG
Guess you should figure out WHERE you could draw a tag for, right?

Got any points in any states?

There are are some great guides in all states, but if you re going OTC, it all depends on the unit.

If you want to guarantee you are hunting you should cross off NM, AZ, WY or UT unless you are buying a landowner tag which will cost you big $$. Those states you will have very low draw odds.
Positive on NM is everyone has same low chance no preference points. AZ, UT , WY good units you have to have many many years of points.
The states where you can have a good quality hunt are Montana draw with Guide which your odds are very high or Colorado OTC tag.

Ultimately I would recommend Montana as the elk densities are high, Good Outfitters are plentiful and you don't run into as many other hunters as Colorado. You can get it done with a good outfitter, good lodge, good food for under $ 6K all in including tag, processing, tip etc.
(Tag will cost you roughly $ 1K, Outfitter $ 4.5K)

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
New Mexico without a doubt.

Put in for the draw with a guide. Coming from Texas it's a easy choice.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
I drew 3 out of 4 times applying in NM in the outfitter pool. hard to beat NM public land elk hunting and you can get a guided hunt for around $5500. I'll be applying there every year until I draw a AZ tag

Probably help if you told what kind of hunt you're looking for too.

Ranch hunt with some work
Ranch hunt where you walk out and pull the trigger and drink beer more than hunt
Wilderness hunt
Depredation cull

WRO

WKR
Oregon has some great guaranteed tag opportunities, I'd look at Cody Cole's guide service for a murders Creek public hunt, good shot at a 300-330 bull, better is possible. Lots of just bull opportunities as well on private.

If you just want to kill a bull and have a good time, we're pretty consistent on elk and no one's complained about hunting with us yet.

In New Mexico, I'd call Keith Williams with Arizona Pro outfitters. He hunts 10,12,13,15 and kills some great bulls with guaranteed tags.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The NM draw is highly dependent on the zone you are applying for......If anyone knows of zones that produce big bulls other than the ones that have a 1 % draw chance even in the outfitter pool I would love to hear what they are.

OP
P
All right, I've been doing a little more research on this. Boy... the options will really make your head spin.

So, having narrowed down a few things I have some better parameters now. Where / who would you all recommend I look for the following:

1. Guided with tags (I'm guessing NM or CO???)
2. No problem with spike camp
3. Moderate to high odds of harvest
4. Average quality is perfectly acceptable. Knowing a chance (even if extremely slim) at a trophy would be encouraging.

Terrain isn't important. Any type of elk country will be new and exciting to me.

Thanks,

PH80

My father-in-law goes on a guided elk hunt in MT every year for about $5,000 and has filled his tag every year with very nice bulls. He has used several different outfitters and has returned to the same ones before too. There are lots of good outfitters to choose from in MT.

OP
P
My father-in-law goes on a guided elk hunt in MT every year for about $5,000 and has filled his tag every year with very nice bulls. He has used several different outfitters and has returned to the same ones before too. There are lots of good outfitters to choose from in MT.

Do you know who he has used? Thanks.

WRO

WKR
All right, I've been doing a little more research on this. Boy... the options will really make your head spin.

So, having narrowed down a few things I have some better parameters now. Where / who would you all recommend I look for the following:

1. Guided with tags (I'm guessing NM or CO???)
2. No problem with spike camp
3. Moderate to high odds of harvest
4. Average quality is perfectly acceptable. Knowing a chance (even if extremely slim) at a trophy would be encouraging.

Terrain isn't important. Any type of elk country will be new and exciting to me.

Thanks,

PH80

I've got a couple guys in oregon I would highly reccomend with long track records of success..

Brian Campbell - Birch creek guide service
Cody Cole - Cody Coles guide service
Walker Powell - no tellum guide service

I've known Brian for 10 years, his archery hunts are phonomal and hes been north of 80% on bull hunts with 100 % opportunity.

Cody's been doing this for 20 years, he's killed a ton of great bulls on public and private.

Walker is just starting out, but I've guided with him a couple times and know his family well. He took my dad this year and did a great job getting him a nice 6x5.