What state is my bow in

SlimTim

FNG
Hi all,

I recently moved while living in Australia and my container was delayed for a few weeks. My bow was in the container, and when I removed my bow today the bow was hot to the touch. My bow had to of been baking in that container for six weeks in the Australian summer desert.

Is this how a write off? Should I even attempt to shoot it? Is there anything that can be done?

On close inspection I can’t see any defects in the limbs, cams or strings.

Cheers (from a hot Aussie summer),
Tim.

String/cable would be the main concern. Limbs could have been damaged but it would have taken some pretty high heat.

If peep is no longer positioned correctly that is likely a sign of your fibers creeping. If draw weight is low, it can be the same thing, or possibly limb damage. However I really doubt that anything would have happened to it except string/cable damage. It's going to take some high heat to cause permanent limb damage.

Was anything else in the container damaged? Bow case get warped or something?

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
String/cable would be the main concern. Limbs could have been damaged but it would have taken some pretty high heat.

If peep is no longer positioned correctly that is likely a sign of your fibers creeping. If draw weight is low, it can be the same thing, or possibly limb damage. However I really doubt that anything would have happened to it except string/cable damage. It's going to take some high heat to cause permanent limb damage.

Was anything else in the container damaged? Bow case get warped or something?
So do you think the string could break, or just stretched? I haven't shot the bow yet, but the peep appears to be inline still.

Ok, sounds like I might be over-reacting. I'll throw some safety glasses on and put a couple of arrows through it. If she blows up then, I suppose I can conclude its busted.

So do you think the string could break, or just stretched? I haven't shot the bow yet, but the peep appears to be inline still.

Ok, sounds like I might be over-reacting. I'll throw some safety glasses on and put a couple of arrows through it. If she blows up then, I suppose I can conclude its busted.

Strings should still be safe to shoot, look for any frayed pieces. They likely crept if they got hot, but it's not anything unsafe. Just will likely be out of tune, and if they crept that much it's just as well to put new ones on. In my experience once they start moving on you, they don't stop.

If everything seems good after a few shots, I think you are fine.