What state would you live in to own and live on hunting ranch

WBT

FNG
It's hard to beat Texas for the hunting aspect. Of course you'll have a liberal whitetail season that can span up to five months. And on top of that, you will probably have pigs and possibly exotics that can be hunted all year without any restrictions.

Weldor

WKR
Texas, especially if it comes with mineral rights. Then I would just travel to hunt the other big game species.
Agreed, Hunting to make money is Texas all the way. You can Hunt just about any species year around from Bison to desert bighorn and all the african animals. If it is hunting ranch for income that's the place.

New Mexico, best bang for your buck in my opinion. Lots of hunting opportunities (landowner elk tags for many ranches), price per acre is very reasonable.

If I don't have to work, Wyoming... Small place would be fine.

If I do have to work, Texas Hill Country. Run dogs on quail, sell some whitetail hunts (I don't sit in a stand) and take trips out west.

49ereric

WKR
Wherever you buy land be sure you can get plenty of big game tags to eat cuz horn soup is mighty thin.

Attachments

• 8C1118CA-745D-42BF-97BF-88735CA56B61.jpeg
    8C1118CA-745D-42BF-97BF-88735CA56B61.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 43

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
If I don't have to work, Wyoming... Small place would be fine.

If I do have to work, Texas Hill Country. Run dogs on quail, sell some whitetail hunts (I don't sit in a stand) and take trips out west.
A "small hunting ranch" in Wyoming now costs about $4M thanks to everyone pouring in from Texas, Washington and California driving our real estate markets to insane levels.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I think South Florida is a sleeper. Hogs year round, epic turkey early in the year, decent deer, swamp buggies in summer, manage for black belly whistling ducks and other waterfowl in winter. Shoot to the coasts/Bahama’s for fishing.

Gonna take some $$$ though.

Antares

WKR
Well if we’re talking about buying ranch land and money is no object, I’ll take a thousand acres in Upcounty Maui, thank you very much.

A "small hunting ranch" in Wyoming now costs about $4M thanks to everyone pouring in from Texas, Washington and California driving our real estate markets to insane levels.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
I ain't scared of public land... I was thinking a couple acres halfway between Rock Springs and Jackson!

Montana hands down. You can buy a ranch in the right area and have whitetails, mule deer, pronghorn, elk and black bear all on the same ranch.

Jarl Varg

FNG
New Mexico. Ranches come with land owner tags. I know a guy that sells them if you want to get ahold of someone

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I'd prefer somewhere on the west coast that my land borders up to the pacific ocean.

Sled

WKR
A ranch wasn't in the cards for me so instead, I have a cabin in the uintas that boarders FS land. It was cheap when I bought it and fixed it up. If I ever were to move away I'd be looking at Idaho, Wyoming, Montana or Alaska. Access to public land, tags and a favorable political climate would factor in. Taxes and cost of living would be high on the list too.

I moved to Utah from the south east about 20 years back. You'd have to pay me a very unreasonable sum of money to get me to spend more than a week or two down that way ever again. The same goes for most areas over a few hundred miles east of the continental divide.

No state checks all the boxes,

If I had to pick would be summer in Wyoming until Oct then winter Texas coast/hill country until mid June.

With acreage preference to Texas.

Now if I won the lottery, I spend a few years starting in Alaska in July and working down to Argentina by March. But would eventually settle down splitting time between Wy and TX bases.

Maverick1

WKR
New Jersey
Nice. Someone else noticed this thread is from 2018.....and also noticed that no one is reading the responses.....LOL. "New Jersey" - known for it's abundance of "elk, deer, antelope, bear, etc." that the OP asked about. Good one! :)

I would love to have some land in Colorado. Preferably close to some ski hills to enjoy some winter sports as well as the hunting opportunities.