What system to wear Sitka,kuiu, first lite?

Hello everybody, I’m planning on going in my first hunt here in northern Arizona, and I am wondering what clothing system I should go with I’ve been eying Kuiu and Sitka year primarily given their reputation.im looking on advice from everything to rain gear, layering, foot wear, and everything else. I’m planning on an OTC elk hunt in November. I realize I probably won’t even see an elk and am wanting to just head out and get my feet wet sort of speak. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run and love Sitka gear. The big reason I went with them is that there Optifade is one of a kind on the market. They are the only company that made a patter that is designed to not trigger a animals defense. Ever other camo on the market is just some colors and shapes put together to make a pattern and turn you into a rock or tree.

You can really tell a difference.

I started with cheaper UA stuff and then bought some first lite and kuiu. Been shifting to Sitka for the last two years.

You can’t go wrong with either of the brands you mentioned. Unless $ is no object I would say build up slow and find what works for you.

I second Scott’s point above about Sitka. Their camo works well.

The reason I am buying more of their stuff is design and function. IMO they have the best designed and executed gear. Pockets, fabrics, fit are just at a different level than most. FL is catching up and in fairness to them I don’t own any of their latest stuff. Kuiu has some great pieces (attack pants, zip off base layer bottoms) but my experience has been inconsistent, sizing is wonky and CS has been underwhelming. By contrast the one Sitka item I didn’t like was redesigned and they sent me the new, updated version for free.

dtrkyman

WKR
I would recommend Sitka simply for the fact you can go to a store and try things on and see what pieces would work for you.

I really like the design of the kuiu stuff but have been reluctant to buy their clothes, I do have a pack from them.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't get hung up on which company. They all make great stuff.

A "system" doesn't need to be all from one company (as much as they would like you to think so), mix and match your favorite pieces from each company.

Base, mid, insulation, rain gear, that's a system. Brand doesn't really matter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Really wouldn’t worry about what “system” to get and just try a little of it all to see what works. They all have strong and weak points. Trying to stick with one brand will rob you of getting the best particular piece of gear, since you aren’t prostaff and I assume don’t plan to be, why not have the best? I run all three. Generally speaking I like FL merino bases, Sitka mids and insulation, Kuiu outerwear and rain gear. Sitka also makes good outerwear pieces, and first lite some good rain gear, but that’s just what I found has worked best for me.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't be all that concerned about rain gear either. Unless there's rain on the forecast close to your hunt.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I mix and match as well. First Lite base layers, Sitka mid and outer. I have a KUIU Peloton 200 Hoodie that I also like as a mid layer. If I had to pick one it would be Sitka but I love First Lite's base layers.

OP
A
Sweet I appreciate the input. What would be a good mid layer and outer layer? I was looking at all of those companies and there’s so many different pieces to choose from.

I have pieces from all 3 because after trying most options these are what work best for me.

Kuiu pants no question because of the hip vents. No other company comes close on performance and versatility. Sitka makes nice pants but they all run very very hot because they are less breathable and you can’t dump heat. Kuiu zip off long underwear are also unbeatable. First lite has the best Merino blend tops out there. Sitka Core lightweight if you want to go synthetic top base layer.
For mid layers I really don’t think much can beat the kuiu Peloton 240 Hoody because of its wind resistance and breath ability. If warmer temps are expected the kuiu Peloton 97 is great as well. These two have outperformed the first lite Halstead and Sitka Core heavyweight. Rain gear kuiu chugach has outperformed Sitka dewpoint. Socks I like gore the best bust Sitka discontinued them and has not brought them back yet. Darn tough are nice as well but didn’t handle my sweaty feet as well and my feet were cold and clammy more often than with gore. I also like the Sitka jetstream for really cold windy days because it absolutely stops the wind.

ChrisAU

WKR
First Lite socks, boxers, and next to skin tops. Kuiu bottom base layers solely for the zip-off function - incredible and have no idea why someone else hasn't done it.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I second the previous post on the zip off bottom baselayers from Kuiu. Underrated feature.

Outside of that I'm personally more of a fan of FL for their overall fit, but there are a couple of pieces of Sitka that I would like to get. If you're able to, get some different stuff from each company to see how things fit you. The cut from each company is a little different, but they all make quality gear. So get what fits you the way you want, even if it's a mix and match set, and run with that.

chasewild

WKR
For an AZ hunt -- do kuiu or first lite or whatever you can find on sale.

For high country mule deer or sheep, Sitka soup-to-nuts.

huntn100

FNG
I'd look through the classifieds here. Get what you can in your size and dont worry too much about which of those 3 brands (all are good). Kuiu and First lite have big sales every November. I always plan on getting a peice or two then. Sitka you can find on sale randomly throughout the year, online or in stores. My kit used to be alot of kuiu and over the last few years has been leaning first lite, but I have and love few sitka pieces. Im all about the sales.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I have pieces from all 3 because after trying most options these are what work best for me.

Kuiu pants no question because of the hip vents. No other company comes close on performance and versatility. Sitka makes nice pants but they all run very very hot because they are less breathable and you can’t dump heat. Kuiu zip off long underwear are also unbeatable. First lite has the best Merino blend tops out there. Sitka Core lightweight if you want to go synthetic top base layer.
For mid layers I really don’t think much can beat the kuiu Peloton 240 Hoody because of its wind resistance and breath ability. If warmer temps are expected the kuiu Peloton 97 is great as well. These two have outperformed the first lite Halstead and Sitka Core heavyweight. Rain gear kuiu chugach has outperformed Sitka dewpoint. Socks I like gore the best bust Sitka discontinued them and has not brought them back yet. Darn tough are nice as well but didn’t handle my sweaty feet as well and my feet were cold and clammy more often than with gore. I also like the Sitka jetstream for really cold windy days because it absolutely stops the wind.

I would look at the classifieds on here and build your system that way. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper. I think most companies are pretty close in quality but shine in their own ways. I went with Sitka because of the huge discount they give for military

FlyGuy

WKR
The answer is always Sitka. HaHa!

They all make great stuff. Doubt you can go wrong with any of them, but staying mostly within one brand makes the process of acquiring and building out your kit somewhat simpler.

You can’t cheat the mountain

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
Thankfully Sitka is available in stores so I got to try on their stuff & find out it don't fit. I have a mix of Kuiu, First Lite, Cabellas. Make your own "system" you will find out that none of them make everything the way you like. I have mostly FL stuff, but dont like their pants. I use Kuiu Attack or Kutana pants. I use FL Wick base layers. I use FL & Kuiu mid layers. The Pelleton 240 is awesome & so is their zipp off bottoms. I use a Cabellas Lookout fleece soft shell, when I use a soft shell. FL puffys. FL SEAK rain gear. For really cold low activity hunt I have a parka & bibbs from Midway USA (elk creek) that were on sale that are warm quiet & dry. So shop around.