What system to wear Sitka,kuiu, first lite?

OP
A
Just ordered the attacks in solid color. Is camp really all that necessary when talking about elk or deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stump06

WKR
I like to have a Camo top but a lot of my pants are solids. You don't have to have Camo and I like the way solids look. I have sitka and kuiu gear but not any first lite. I built my system through sales and 2nd hand. I don't think I paid full price for any of my stuff. Sign up for blackovis and camofire's emails and join kuiu's inner circle and you'll get the heads up on sales. You can't return kuiu's outlet items but everything else you can send back if the sizing is off

jspradley

WKR
I wouldn't get hung up on sticking with a certain brand, unless they are sponsoring you then brand loyalty doesnt get us anywhere.

I have a mixture of just about every brand's gear and it's all good. I will say that Sitka's outer layers are my favorite hands down though and just seem built like a tank.

LightFoot

WKR
I wouldn't get hung up on sticking with a certain brand, unless they are sponsoring you then brand loyalty doesnt get us anywhere.

I have a mixture of just about every brand's gear and it's all good. I will say that Sitka's outer layers are my favorite hands down though and just seem built like a tank.
This...

Hard to get bad gear these days if you stick with solid companies. Focus more on what kinds of items you need to build your kit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wear what fits and best suits your needs. I have a blend of all three just because there are features I like and dislike about each item.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
Like most here, I have mixed and matched all three plus some UA and SKRE. I try to buy last years blowouts on sale as much as possible. The good thing about mixing and matching brands is that they are all camo so no one will see!

Sitka Ascent pants are my favorite early season pant by far. First Lite Unpronounceable is an awesome puffy. Corrugate Guide jacket is very utilitarian. Llano was my all time favorite merino shirt but they wear out quick from my backpack.

TX_Diver

WKR
I've got mostly kuiu but am not a brand loyalist. I like their merino as you can get an almost turtleneck w/ the 1/4 zip and keep the sun off a bit.

For pants don't overlook the Prana Zions. Little cheaper and they're awesome for early season stuff.

I wouldn't get hung up on which company. They all make great stuff.

A "system" doesn't need to be all from one company (as much as they would like you to think so), mix and match your favorite pieces from each company.

Base, mid, insulation, rain gear, that's a system. Brand doesn't really matter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree and own all of the brands you mentioned a slew of others. That said, I now find myself wearing a good merino base layer (FL, Kuiu, Minus 33 and others) suitable to the temps i'm in and Sitka because it fits my fat ass best. I also like that I can get soaking wet to the core, hike 5 miles in cold wet weather and be dry again. That can save your life in the backcountry. I also like the Subalpine because other hunters don't notice me...had em walk pass me at 17 yards and never see me.

screen.jpg
MOOSEMAN2.jpg

Adventure

FNG
I have all three but lately i have been adding more Sitka to the collection. Especially for a broader range of hunting styles including tree stand hunting and cold weather hunts.

BluMtn

WKR
I am what you might call a lady of the night when it comes to my hunting cloths. I own KUIU, Cabelas, Skre, Kryptek, and a few other off brands. Why?, because I got them at a decent price and I also buy for patterns. If I am hunting in barren country I stay with the Kryptek, if I am in dry country with some green scrub brush I wear my KUIU. If I am in the mountains and it is well digger cold I have some Cabelas that will keep me warm. I do like the KUIU and Skre pants because as mentioned before if you start to get hot you can open the hip vents and regulate your body heat. I have never really needed rain gear because if the weather is that bad I wear my KUIU or Cabelas and they repel rain long enough for me to get under a tree and out of the weather. As far as camo is concerned I don't really wear it for the animals, I wear it to conceal myself from other hunters. I would much rather spot them first so I can let them do my brushing for me.

I don’t know if money is a concern or not but a lot of military surplus stuff works good. I like the base layers. Also when I started buying the high priced stuff I got solids so I can wear them when I’m just out hiking or on the town. But some people like to wear camo around all the time and that’s cool too. Also like others said look for sales on last years stuff you save a lot doing that.

Trial153

WKR
I had enough issues with first lite, fit and durability to not consider them at this point.
Sitka gears line up has about everything I could possibly need to bowhunt most any place. Pretty much own or owned about it all. For building a system sitka has about everything I need to fill the gaps. I would say i own sitka 80/20 compared to other brands pieces this point.

I have Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Pnuma and Costco. I focus on natural blends such as Merino wool. Comes down to whats your price point and comfort. The Costco Merino wool are solid colors - I buy the grey shirts as they blend well where I hunt and I can buy 6 of those shirts compared to one of the camo brands lol. Biggest thing is play the wind and don't move. Good luck with your choice..there's lots to choose from

K_pem

WKR
Having tried many brands different products side by side these are the absolutes in my opinion:
FL Aerowool for next to skin
KUIU for pants/ zip off bottom mid layers
KUIU or Sitka for synthetic mid layers (Kuiu if ultralight is a concern)
Sitka (Gore Windstopper) for wind blocking anything.

I would add KUIU for rain gear but id be a hypocrite since i still haven't been able to move from my Sitka cloudburst to the Chugach or Yukon just yet haha. Other than those items i think that you cant go wrong either way. Depending on your hunt style and budget i think there is a lot of money to be saved in some obvious places, but don't skimp on solid base layers, boots, or pack.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the mutt approach.

I have:
Sitka
Cabela's
Kuiu *current favorite
First Lite
Kryptek
Smart wool
Under Armour
Costco
Kuhl
Outdoor research
North Face
Patagonia

Most are only a piece or two, and accumulated over the years. Each has their place. And some that seemed great and well made but just didn't fit me (e.g. FL Obsidian pants).

I tend to follow the varied solid colors, although I have camo in vias, Verde 2.0, realtree, optifade, UA barren, multicam, MARPAT, FL fusion and Highlander.

My recent joy was just finding some wool in blaze orange.

Best of luck!

Hello everybody, I’m planning on going in my first hunt here in northern Arizona, and I am wondering what clothing system I should go with I’ve been eying Kuiu and Sitka year primarily given their reputation.im looking on advice from everything to rain gear, layering, foot wear, and everything else. I’m planning on an OTC elk hunt in November. I realize I probably won’t even see an elk and am wanting to just head out and get my feet wet sort of speak. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

I wouldn't get too hung up on one specific brand. Most of the major brands for Western hunting make good products. That being said, I tend to mix and match and prefer solid earth tone colors for my clothing system. Here's the system that works for me: Baselayers- Kuiu merino wool, Midlayers- Kuiu/First Lite synthetics, Outerwear- First Lite/Sitka, Raingear- First Lite.

weeble19

FNG
I think the Sitka bottoms fit best for me but the FL tops fit me better. I have an athletic build with a smaller waist than hips and butt and the odd sizes from Sitka fit great. I’m always in between on the FL pants. The Sitka tops are the exact opposite. I’m in between large and XL and the difference between the those sizes is noticeable. FL large fits like a dream for me on the tops. Also Prana Zions and Outdoor Research Ferossi pants are pretty awesome in the solids.

I have the same system across the board for all my hunts. Lightest weight layer next to skin and preferably merino because I stink something awful and I have yet to find a synthetic that doesn’t reek after a day, then a mid weight stretchy fleece for the upper, lightweight to heavyweight puffy, and a rain shell which is also my wind shell. Layer according to the conditions and exertion level. Mountaineers and climbers have been using this system for decades and it works very well from 0-80 degrees. Find what fits best though for your body type and keeps you comfortable. The more comfortable you are the longer you’re willing to stay in the crappy situations to fill your tag.