What temp rating bag?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
imo always better to have to much warmth that not enough as nothing worse that a night of bad or no sleep...some of this is contingent on how warm you tend to sleep.....I went with a zero degree down bag many years back and never have regretted it for October on and sometimes in September:)

NWHunter84

Lil-Rokslider
Better to be warm, i would go with the 0 bag. If weight is an issue you could sleep in a puffy with the 15 degree bag.

Harder for me to warm up than to cool off. I’m a 0* guy. I’m curious on the EN rating for those bags? That would help in the decision too. If the 15 rates closer to 30, that would be important to know.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i plan to do alot of reviews from a newbie perspective after my hunt next year. i have gotten so much help here. i feel like i should give something back to y'all.

i will be testing alot of this gear prior to the hunt so i will let y'all know my thoughts :D

dtrkyman

WKR
I’ve got 8 or so nights in my outdoor vitals zero bag.

Initially wasn’t too pleased as I had to wear a thinsulate quarter zip top to stay warm in the upper teens, also a mid to heavy weight fleece bottom.

After some experimenting I realized you can tighten up the top baffle with a pull cord which really locks the heat in, the other night was in the teens and wearing mid weight base layers and pulling that and the hood tight I was pretty comfy.

I am a light and cold sleeper that constantly tosses and turns which probably doesn’t help me at all!

The zipper is pretty damn good as well, better than other bags I have(north face/marmot)

Pretty nice bag for the money but I still wonder if a WM would be that much better? I mean where not splitting atoms here it’s a feather filled bag

Comparing full power and weight of fill it’s on par with higher end bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Just got mine yesterday. I really like the zipper. Both the placement and how it doesn't catch. I'm really confused by the 2 flaps near the top by the hood though? Any insight?

I hope to get out and use it soon...

The weather in CO. can and will change quickly, its a good idea to be prepared.
a 15 degree bag will work but everyone is different of course, so 0 degree will probably be the safer route..

Along with a good sleeping bag I would recommend a quality sleeping pad to provide insulation from the ground this will prevent major heat loss. Bag liners help some as well plus they are light weight so it wouldn't hurt to throw one your pack.
I've made the mistake of not taking a warm enough bag before and was miserable all night. In this situation I filled my Nalgene bottle with boiling water to place in my bag.