What temperature justifies bringing a stove?

Norske

FNG
Temps will be between 30 and 55 it's looking like, but I'm thinking a 10 degree difference being in the mountains. Would I benefit enough to justify the cost of hot tent? Hiking in around 5-7 miles, carried by 1 person, maybe 2. Total weight 110 oz., current shelter is 91 oz

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
Also how long are you planning to be out there? A warm stove can be a nice morale boost at the end of a long cold day. I also get up easier in the mornings with a warm fire to get dressed.

Wrench

WKR
Moisture. I would have a stove at 40* and rain and be fine without it if it never broke 30. I hate being wet.

jhm2023

WKR
A hot tent is all about drying out in my opinion. Not really worth trying to keep a lightweight stove going in a lightweight tent just for the warmth. I always bring one I'm case I get soaked by rain, wet snow, fall in a creek, etc. It's just a bonus when you're lounging in the tent with your swollen feet elevated after a rough couple of days of packing meat and smelling of death and succes, then you fire up that stove and burn a stove load of wood while enjoying backstraps or ribs cooked on a willow branch grill over a fire with a side of olive oil and garlic couscous and a night cap of your favorite whiskey and savor the comfort and job well done.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Doesn’t take much for me pack my stove….even in mild temps it sure is nice to dry things out and dress in a warm tent.

OP
N

Norske

FNG
Also how long are you planning to be out there? A warm stove can be a nice morale boost at the end of a long cold day. I also get up easier in the mornings with a warm fire to get dressed.
planning on about 7 nights

OP
N

Norske

FNG
My opinion, yes. Another question would be what’s the weather forecast. If it’s going to rain, double yes.
They had rain, then took it away. I'm sure they'll put back in the forecast again.

Wrench

WKR
7 days....I'm taking a stove. The weather forecast is never 100% and being wet for days sucks.

*zap*

WKR
It is only 14 miles....to be comfortable from time to time while you are there which is overall very good for you.

Northpark

WKR
More about moisture for me but basically if I think it’s gonna be less than about 30 at night or have any moisture I’m bringing the stove. Or even here in the desert I’ll bring the stove so I can lounge in comfort while reading at night when it’s getting dark at 530 in the evening. That leaves 3 hours to eat and read a good book in peace and quiet.

Yes. I have a Kifaru sawtooth. Condensation is a problem. But I just keep a pile of tinder, small sticks and a wad of TP next to me. In the morning reach out of my bag and start a fire. Wait a few and all the condensation is gone. Way easier getting up when it’s warm in the tent. And going out to pee and coming back to a warm tent is a perk too. And… as mentioned previously the psychology perk of a warm fire after a rough day is hard to beat

Poser

WKR
A few more factors for me. If the days are warm and the nights aren’t going to hit really cold temps until late, no stove.

If the temps are going to drop dramatically the moment the sun goes down, stove.

Low in the 20s and dry? Probably no stove
Low in the 20s and wet? Stove
Low in the single digits and dry: probably

Other factors: 1 person also carrying a tripod and spotter? -that’s a lot of weight

2 people to split load, makes a big difference.

Moving camp every day with a stove? Yuck. Better be good reason to have it, otherwise I need the extra sleep.

Stoves also require saws, time and energy, collecting and cutting wood. Great option to have but the conditions for it depend.

mlgc20

WKR
Normally I only bring a stove if it’s going to be close to zero Fahrenheit. In November I did a hunt with my daughter where the nighttime temps were in the low teens. There was a little rain during the days. Against my normal “rule”, I brought the stove. We ended up using it once. And that was basically just for fun. We certainly didn’t need a stove for the teens. It reinforced my zero degree threshold.