What tent are you tall guys using?

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Is this for spiking out? I can understand that given the average elevation of 8000-15000 feet. Hope you don't suffer from altitude sickness. Some of those Turkish hunts are literally in the middle of nowhere. Got horses? What're you targeting? Ibex? Marcos? Argali? Some hunts/species are more physical than others, especially when it gets cold. You have a guide-provided base camp right?
From what I’ve been told in the 9,000 feet range in early September. It’ll be horseback for ibex. The guides will provide basecamp but was told their tents are lacking drastically. So I’m gonna bring my own.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
I'm not at all tall and definitely no where near your size, but have you considered an UL floorless shelter? It sure is nice to walk into something without having to bend over, or bend over very little, and ample room to spread out a little. Also very nice to be able to stand up and put on/take off cloths.
I have thought about it. And after running my 8 man in Colorado I’m leaning more towards a tipi. How do they hold up in alaska?

Jaker_cc

WKR
6’4” 240lbs

I use the redcliff as well if hunting with a partner. If solo I still use a kifaru supertarp. I don’t mind crawling into my tarp to save the weight

I have thought about it. And after running my 8 man in Colorado I’m leaning more towards a tipi. How do they hold up in alaska?

I’ve been using floorless shelters and tipi’s a ton up here for the last 10 years, or so, with very little issues. There’s definitely a bit of a learning curve to using floorless shelters but, for the most part, it’s no different using it here than any other place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thread! Im 6'7" & it's nice to know there are more normal sized people in the world that hunt than just me 😂!

I've not done a lot of winter camping, most backcountry camping for me has been for fly fishing, and I like hammocks and tarps for that down to the low 30's.
But I'm gearing up for first west hunt with OTC elk in CO & out sounds like a good tent is 100% necessary in 2nd & 3rd rifle. Definitely the weight savings of floorless tents make them more attractive. As well as having the option to be a hot tent.

Have narrowed down to light versions of cimarron & redcliff for 2-4 people (maybe 6 man tipi, but it's starting to tip the scales in my opinion). Strangely everyone I hunt with is short af. Definitely 2 people, 50% chance of 3 people, & a big maybe 5% of the time 4 people. I guess we would be spike camping 3-5 miles in with this tent & moving camp maybe once or twice in a 7-9 day hunt, depending on what we see or don't see.

While I'm open to other suggestions, with possibility of stove jack, I am curious what y'alls thoughts are on those 2 or 3 specifically??

(Don't mean to derail the thread, but everyone in this thread has the same size issues I have and thought it would be easier to ask here since these models were already mentioned.)

WKR
Son and I are 6'7". Been almost blown off a mountain using a tipi style 6 man tent above treeline in mid October. It was an exceptionally bad night with high winds and snow. After reflecting on that evening we moved on to a Hilleberg Keron 3. Its bombproof. Their reputation is well deserved and it has plenty of room for 2 big guys and really is big enough for 3 though haven't used it for that.

For mid October above treeline or later in season, this is my answer. And obviously I'd use it in Sept too. Hard to find firewood above treeline or with 10" of snow.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Son and I are 6'7". Been almost blown off a mountain using a tipi style 6 man tent above treeline in mid October. It was an exceptionally bad night with high winds and snow. After reflecting on that evening we moved on to a Hilleberg Keron 3. Its bombproof. Their reputation is well deserved and it has plenty of room for 2 big guys and really is big enough for 3 though haven't used it for that.

For mid October above treeline or later in season, this is my answer. And obviously I'd use it in Sept too. Hard to find firewood above treeline or with 10" of snow.
Keron 3 is also pushing 10 lbs— fine if you can split it, but bombproof doesn't come easy.

-mox

mouri010

FNG
6’4 240lb. I run a seek outside red cliff. We had three of us a stove and our gear in it in CO on an elk hunt. Two other guys were 6’5 and 6’2.

I run it by myself every year too. I can stand up in the middle and get dressed without bending down which is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear. Just picked one of these up and I’m 6’4” and have a tall family😂