What tent do you recommend for Coastal Elk?

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for tent recommendations for Coastal weather in sept. One day it can rain inches the next it can be 80. Wide temp swings and high humidty. Thanks

Joyce

FNG
I know it’s bulkier and heavier than many options, but my MSR Hubba Hubba has been a faithful companion on coastal elk hunts in November. The extra weather protection and space for you and your gear has been well worth the penalty, as well as the added durability over lighter weight options when setting up in less than tent sized spots in the brush. I did not enjoy my bivy in similar conditions, fwiw.

OP
SquirrelyDan

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe a little more base camp orientated but also wouldn't mind lighter weight. I have been eyeing the Kuiu mountain star .

TheGDog

WKR
Hubba Hubba 2 person! gives you room to rotate your sleeping bag within the floor of the tent a lil bit to make up for not the best initial positioning of the tent on the ground in terms of minor sloping inconsistencies of the ground. And you can put everything inside the tent. Which can be helpful if the area you're in happens to have certain kinds of ants/insects which come out at night and want to get all over things.

OP
SquirrelyDan

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
Hubba Hubba 2 person! gives you room to rotate your sleeping bag within the floor of the tent a lil bit to make up for not the best initial positioning of the tent on the ground in terms of minor sloping inconsistencies of the ground. And you can put everything inside the tent. Which can be helpful if the area you're in happens to have certain kinds of ants/insects which come out at night and want to get all over things.
I looked at those an they seem nice. The only thing i didnt like was the warranty . All of the other higher end tents have a lifetime vs MSR's 3 year. How long have you had yours? how is it holding up?

TheGDog

WKR
I looked at those an they seem nice. The only thing i didnt like was the warranty . All of the other higher end tents have a lifetime vs MSR's 3 year. How long have you had yours? how is it holding up?
I'd be a bad example of that. I only use it while hunting. And joining along with my boys scout troop. I'm 50+ with injuries that make sleeping on the ground uncomfortable. So I've only used it like... maybe 8 times in 2 years I've had it.

Assuming your base camp is in proximity of your vehicle and you are taking day trips into your hunting area I highly suggest a larger canvas tent or trailer. I’ve hunted Washington’s coast for many years using everything from the bed of my truck to a hotel room. The more room you have to dry stuff out the longer you will want to stay. The Kodiak Canvas FlexBow tents seam to have a large following here. I have one on order right now myself.
The MSR hubba hubba is a great tent. I have the original version from when they first came out, over ten years ago. MSR stands behind their products even after the warranty. The rain fly on mine got sticky and lost it’s waterproof ability years after my purchase. When I contacted MSR to purchase a new rain fly they replaced it free of charge and apologized saying it should never have happened. It was well used and sun faded but they still replaced it.

Joyce

FNG

I’ve also had mine for about three years, with about 15-20 nights in it a year being the norm. It still looks good and performs very well. I’m happy with the durability so far.