What the flip is with agreeing to sell something and then selling to another party?

LostArra

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm with Ghost and Ebby on this one.

A deal should be a deal. If a buyer clearly says they'll take it, that should be it. No problem for a seller to let other possible buyers know they'd be next in line if the deal falls through for some reason. And, if a buyer backs out of something that was meant to be definite, then they can be named in the good guy/bad guy list.

I've got to say, though, that in my experience of selling online on forums where people value their own reputation and honor, I've rarely had a buyer not complete a sale.

What I have seen here, though, is sellers not giving complete details (or photos!) so that buyers can make an informed decision. Or, worse, state that something is complete when it's not. I've contacted the seller, told them I'd like the item, but asked if it's complete ... only to have it sell to someone else. If an item is under negotiation partly because the seller hasn't been thorough, the seller should provide all the relevant info to the person who has expressed interest so the buyer can make the call.

I may disagree here.
Buyer A has question or needs another photo or some other contingency
Buyer B says I'll take it. What's your PayPal ?

Buyer B gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, maybe I was a bit too simplistic on that ...

I've seen another forum where buyers can call 'dibs' on things, only to back out because they've decided they don't like the color after all, their wife tells them they can't spend the money, their dog ate their wallet, and so on. That sh*t drives me crazy too.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if a buyer is definite about something but just needs to confirm something the seller has left out of the listing, it would be nice if sellers can provide what they ideally should have provided in the first instance to make an informed decision ... it's not like we're walking into a store, so I think it's on the seller to give as much information, photos, description of condition, etc, as possible.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
I won't sell it out from someone if they tell me when they are gone by to pay. If they miss that I give them a deadline to respond then go on. I will tell you as the forum gets bigger I have had more guys say they will take something and then you never hear from them again.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have to say im lucky , all transactions Ive done here have been great buying and selling

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im with you ghost. I recently agreed to sell a pair of used Binos for $800. I offered the buyer to send them back for a once over before I sold them to him. He agreed and once the mfg got them they found a scratch on the objective lense. Instead of repairing them they sent me a brand new pair. Since the buyer and I had already agreed to pay $800 I honored the price and he got a smoking deal on brand new binos. I guess I'm old school too but in my mind a deal is a deal and commitment means something.

I agree completely. If someone says they'll take it, it's their opportunity unless they flake out, then it goes to the next guy who responded.

If someone wants to sell it to the first guy to pay, that should be made damned clear in the classified. I've had very good luck selling and buying on here. Integrity is very much appreciated.

mpg07

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the forum and i must say a big Thank You to the senior guys on here that take my old school Money Orders!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't honor dibs. I've had way too many people back out, then I have to go on the thread and say it is still available.
If someone says they will pay later that day or the next day and I don't have a line up behind them I'm usually ok with that.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The accepted law across the internet universe is who ever contacts you first has dibs. If they need to ask a couple questions regarding that product and a third party says "I will take it" that first person still had dibs. those are also the laws of decency.

Of course there are always some exceptions, but this is how it should work.

weaver

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The accepted law across the internet universe is who ever contacts you first has dibs. If they need to ask a couple questions regarding that product and a third party says "I will take it" that first person still had dibs. those are also the laws of decency.

I disagree.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If all questions are answered and terms agreed upon then it's a done deal. You hold the item for the agreed upon time. If you sell it to someone else you are in the wrong. Hell I sold a kifaru pack on Craigslist and held it for 3 weeks until we could meet up in person.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may disagree here.
Buyer A has question or needs another photo or some other contingency
Buyer B says I'll take it. What's your PayPal ?

Buyer B gets it.

I agree whole heartedly. Just because you asked a question doesn't trump an "I'll take it"

My only question is with low ball offers.

Seller posts something for $200
Buyer A offers $25 for it at 5:00 pm
Buyer B offer full price at 5:30 pm

Do you inform buyer A you have a full price offer or just sell it to buyer B?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I agree whole heartedly. Just because you asked a question doesn't trump an "I'll take it"

My only question is with low ball offers.

Seller posts something for $200
Buyer A offers $25 for it at 5:00 pm
Buyer B offer full price at 5:30 pm

Do you inform buyer A you have a full price offer or just sell it to buyer B?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm with Zeroforhire on honoring dibs and this is why. I will get a post on a thread I'll take it. Then check my inbox to find a low ball offer, and several offers after that at full price. I'll never sell to the low ball offer in that kind of situation. If it's a lower reasonable price I'll wheel, and deal with the buyer before offering it to the next guy. I also have certain guys that buy off me all the time, they know who they are. Most of them will just send me payment with no notification, which is completely fine by me. Those gentlemen will always get the sale if their interested in the product because they are great buyers with great confidence in me. That's playing favorites, but I bet a lot of you understand where I'm coming from.

Sellers could make a similar thread about buyers :)

With that said, I always stick by a deal made. And No, I wouldn't inform the low ball offer that I have a full or reasonable offer. I'd sell the product then tell the low ball offer it was sold at full or reasonable price, but thank you for your offer ;-)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

ohoopee

WKR
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ghost,
Next time the person who did that has something to sell buy his item using PP. Pay the 3% then reverse payment:). Only if he hasn't shipped it within the first 10 min:)). I believe common decency has been the rule on rockslide. People that agree to sell and then sell to someone else in minutes should be called out. Turning a blind eye to bad behavior begets more bad behavior.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Things must be changing here a little bit. Used to be the first, I'll take it, gets it. And when you say I'll take it it means it for full price.

R_burg

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never thought 24 hours was a big deal, and still dont. If I agree to sell something, Id give the buyer the benefit of doubt they are going to follow through, at least for 2 days. Stuff happens, life gets in the way of the web.
IMO if you can PM someone, you can pay them via PayPal. You're at a phone or a computer already.

IMO a couple days isnt reasonable unless you communicate that when you make the offer. If you do that and someone agrees and then sells it, thats screwed up.

If you say I take it and then go dont say anything, I will attempt to communicate with you and if you don't respond I think its fair to sell to someone else.

I guess the point is, both parties should communicate.

R_burg

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with this as well. Its how I work.