What the flip is with agreeing to sell something and then selling to another party?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You cant say ill take something then negotiate on price.i agree with northernpiker .and if you tell someone you will take something ..pay for it quickly . Its just a polite way to do buisness among friends and fellow hunters

Broomd

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive never thought 24 hours was a big deal, and still dont. If I agree to sell something, Id give the buyer the benefit of doubt they are going to follow through, at least for 2 days. Stuff happens, life gets in the way of the web.
Yep, the way I roll too......

bozeman

WKR
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Just this week, PM 'I'll take it', put SPF on the thread, didn't hear back for 3 days, reposted it and sold it........still haven't heard from the first one....I'll wait, but not long if no communication.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if you can PM someone, you can pay them via PayPal. You're at a phone or a computer already.

not always the case.
Im in a prison right now and have a computer with a firewall that's more strict than a catholic schools ruler wielding nun... I can not access paypal, or ebay, or one of my several banks websites.... I also cant bring my phone inside. I can say "ill take it" and send a PM asking if they can wait until my shifts over...

but my experiences buying and selling have been great. several have waited for that shift to be over, one seller held on to an item until I had a house to ship it to...

the main thing is communication

I did see an item I would have liked a few days ago, there was an "ill take it" posted a few minutes after the original posting followed by an "SPF" a few minutes after that. then I saw it back up for sale yesterday with a new "till take it" and I was a little heart broken...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree whole heartedly. Just because you asked a question doesn't trump an "I'll take it"

My only question is with low ball offers.

Seller posts something for $200
Buyer A offers $25 for it at 5:00 pm
Buyer B offer full price at 5:30 pm

Do you inform buyer A you have a full price offer or just sell it to buyer B?

I don't necessarily agree with the earlier scenario as being black and white. Some people will not buy anything without pictures and depending on the question there may be some dibs implied. If someone is asking something stupid about the product in general (sizing, etc) then yes I'd agree the the "I'll take it" get's it, but if someone asks for pictures (if used, if new just effing google it) or a detail about the item itself, they should get first dibs as the pictures/details should've been included in the first place.

Your scenario however it is unquestionably buyer B that gets the item (that's a risk you take in low-balling) assuming that you had not accepted or countered buyer A's offer. If you had already responded to or counter offered buyer A, then they have dibs if they accept that counter offer even if someone comes along agreeing to your original price.

As far as payment, I really want to know how effing hard is it to either pay or respond in less than 24 giving a timeline for payment. If someone is radio silent for that long I'd certainly assume they'd have backed out.

R_burg

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not always the case.
Im in a prison right now and have a computer with a firewall that's more strict than a catholic schools ruler wielding nun... I can not access paypal, or ebay, or one of my several banks websites.... I also cant bring my phone inside. I can say "ill take it" and send a PM asking if they can wait until my shifts over...

but my experiences buying and selling have been great. several have waited for that shift to be over, one seller held on to an item until I had a house to ship it to...

the main thing is communication

I did see an item I would have liked a few days ago, there was an "ill take it" posted a few minutes after the original posting followed by an "SPF" a few minutes after that. then I saw it back up for sale yesterday with a new "till take it" and I was a little heart broken...
Totally understand.

As you said, communication is the key, I went on to say that in the post you quoted. When you PM someone you tell them you cant paypal until after work. Therefore the seller knows whats going on.

In a way, its just being courteous but it goes a long way, IMO.

tttoadman

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I am at work, I always reply immediately that I will be making payment that evening when I get home.

I agree that a tire kicker asking questions doesn't have first rights. The way to to solve this problem is to qualify with "I'll take it if this has composite stays". If the conditions are met, then you should have a deal.

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if you can PM someone, you can pay them via PayPal. You're at a phone or a computer already.

IMO a couple days isnt reasonable unless you communicate that when you make the offer. If you do that and someone agrees and then sells it, thats screwed up.

If you say I take it and then go dont say anything, I will attempt to communicate with you and if you don't respond I think its fair to sell to someone else.

I guess the point is, both parties should communicate.

Oh thats nonsense, The PM system isnt real time. You pm someone what you are willing to pay, they come back with a counter offer, you say youll take it, this could take hours depending on cell phone coverage/internet connectivity. Now its 10pm one or both of the parties have gone to bed, next day rolls around one or both parties dont get a chance check the rok till after work and then the darn things been sold out from underneath you. I dont really care about the item, its the lack of standing by your word that bothers me.

FURMAN

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am with Ghost. First to pay is just stupid. I can't even see how that would not turn into a nightmare when the seller gets multiple payments. I have never had an issue with people paying in a timely manner. If a guy says he will take something then it is his. If you are worried about not getting the payment in a certain time put that in your listing. I also think the person to get the item being sold should be the first guy to post in the thread "I will take it" not secret behind closed door deals. I can assure you if I had a situation happen as Ghost is describing I would consider that person untrustworthy. I believe most forums have a policy against first to pay. None of us are retailers. We have lives. Sometimes it takes a little time to complete a transaction. I suspect we will start seeing more of this in our McDonald's "I want it now" world.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
A lot of folks don't have apps to link to RS or other forums for mobile devices. I am old school and if I say I am going to buy something or sell something to someone, I will. If things go south. Has rarely happened. Maybe once in many years. So be it. I guess I have some patience.
The whole whoever pays first gets it seems ridiculous to this old sob.

Jauwater

WKR
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
To clarify first, I'm not speaking on the OP original comment cause as stated I believe a deal is a deal. I'm speaking on the direction this thread has taken.

Does an individual who is selling something, that they own out right, have the right to sell or not to sell that item to whomever that seller wishes regardless of words exchanged with another individual, legally?

I'm not asking if it's proper Rokslide etiquette. As stated before I believe in a deal is a deal. But how as a seller, not being face to face with a buyer, do you cipher through the ones who are locked up at work, or the ones wasting your time. Yeah, good communication is the key, but most the time when deals go south communication was bad. So being in that moment how does the seller know what's going on? I buy, and sell things all the time, and frequently you'll get a tag chiming in they'll take it then they're checked out minutes later. Days later your going through your other PM's waiting on their reply which may or may not result in a sale.

I'd say 99.9% of my sales go great on this site, and I bet that's the case for most people. It socks when it goes south, but I bet this isn't that much of a real issue on here. This thread could go on and on because in a debate like this "it's all relative".

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
First to pay turns me off so I just stay away from those. I don't want to pay only to find out someone beat me to it. I've never had a problem waiting on someone if they proposed reasonable terms and vice versa. I think detailed payment terms in the listing is key along with communication. A lot of ads leave out the payment type/terms which can cause confusion and extra back and forth via PM to get squared away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R_burg

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thats nonsense, The PM system isnt real time. You pm someone what you are willing to pay, they come back with a counter offer, you say youll take it, this could take hours depending on cell phone coverage/internet connectivity. Now its 10pm one or both of the parties have gone to bed, next day rolls around one or both parties dont get a chance check the rok till after work and then the darn things been sold out from underneath you. I dont really care about the item, its the lack of standing by your word that bothers me.
Cmon man, thats not what I'm saying and thats not how I read your complaint. In that scenario it sounds like you went back and forth, the item shouldn't be sold out from under you. That being said, I think it would be polite of you to pay that night when you get the PM accepting the offer and providing you a PayPal address.

Either way, the only time I have run into an issue on any forum... Cameras, cars, hunting, etc... Is one time a guy never paid me and I reached out to him, he never responded, and about 5 days later I sold it to someone else. He PM'd me very surprised, but when I explained what happened, it appeared he meant to PayPal me but never did.

That being said, the onus is also on the seller to give the buyer some leeway. If you have a product that is popular enough its getting a lot of interest, its going to sell even if you give the original person a little leeway.

Maybe its just me, but I PM a lot to make sure that myself and the buyer or seller are on the same page about everything. No reason to leave anything to chance.

dotman

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of folks don't have apps to link to RS or other forums for mobile devices. I am old school and if I say I am going to buy something or sell something to someone, I will. If things go south. Has rarely happened. Maybe once in many years. So be it. I guess I have some patience.
The whole whoever pays first gets it seems ridiculous to this old sob.

I don't use an app and only use my phone, just view it as a full site and it's no different then on your computer expect you'll zoom in and out.

Also it is very easy to communicate in a pm that you'll pay either when you get home or the next day. If you can send a pm to say you'll take it you can send one to communicate when you can pay.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Theres a few forums were agreeing to sell something and then selling it to somelse would get you a time out. I must be getting old, guess ill go yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

You can't be too old, because if you were you wouldn't use the term "time out". That's a new age term using it in that sense.;)

Last edited: