What the flip is with agreeing to sell something and then selling to another party?

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 2 people in the last week agree to se me something and the because its been 24 hours or less in the last case since I made contact, they sell it to someone else? Some people have to work and dont have time to spend all day on the internet!!! Maybe I'm old school, but when i sau im going to do something it gets done!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When I sell stuff it is usually first to pay gets it. I got tired of waiting around for people to get their act together and make a payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats BS, but like I said you make an agreement. You stick to it. Now i can see a couple of days without a reply. Must be the times.

tfields

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup, people will sell it pretty quick and typically to the first who pays but that sometimes just protecting themselves.

The only advice I can give you is when you make contact with another member make it clear that you will take it and that you will settle up payment in the evening or later in the day whenever you can make it happen just so they know that you do work and you won't be able to get payment till later. P

welpro222

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Most buyers on here do pay very quickly. I think the buyer needs to state that payment will be made within the next day or two, along with the agreement to buy the item(s). I've had several buyers go a few days (heck even weeks) without paying, but they let me know first.

I do agree that an agreement is an agreement, there just needs to be more communication between seller and buyer.

AZinAK

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is an agreement for sale, it should stand. Sellers need to put FTP (First To Pay) in their posts to make it clear to buyers if that's the way they are going to go. If this is done, there is no room for gripers. I understand the side of the sellers as well as I've dealt with long delays in sales.

-AZinAK

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a few forums were agreeing to sell something and then selling it to somelse would get you a time out. I must be getting old, guess ill go yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think it's all in how you word it. If you make it clear that you're going to be paying within 24 hours and the seller agrees to that, then he should wait. If there's no actual agreement in place, then it's first come/first served. I can't tell you how many times I've had people say they'll take something and then change their minds the next day. Meanwhile, I've already told several other buyers that the item has been sold...thus missing out on a potential sale.

Ebby

WKR
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm with you ghost. I've had that happen to me several times on this site. I say I'll take and the seller responds that it's mine and when I ask how they want to be paid, they say they sold it somebody else who was "faster". Mine have all been under 30 minutes. Very frustrating. I posted about it a while back. I always sell to the first who claims it. I will wait for contact and th n make arrangements. If I don't hear from you for 3-4 days then I'll move on. It's not the case around here. People post an item for sale, don't give address or PayPal for payment and th n somehow "sell" to the fastest person to pay. Drives me crazy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If you agree to buy but don't pay in a timely matter of course they'll sell to next guy. Paying after work a couple hours later is way different than waiting a day or more to pay that's ridiculous with the technology in day and age

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I pretty much give 24 hrs because I realize not everyone has the luxury of being on the computer at will. You should also explain it may take time to pay due to work or what else. I got an Ebay seller to give me a week to pay if I won the item because I would be away from cell service. If I'm busy I even tell buyers it may take me a few days to ship something out.

Sometimes I get burned by being a nice guy too.

dotman

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to agree with you but have had a few buyers say they are going to buy and then continue on with excuses. I tend to be reasonable and work with people but you only get one chance to communicate a payment so be open and honest about when you can. I've waited a week for guys to get paid and it always worked out but I took the risk of taking them at their word.

I can see why some would take first to pay.

WyoElk

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im with you ghost. I recently agreed to sell a pair of used Binos for $800. I offered the buyer to send them back for a once over before I sold them to him. He agreed and once the mfg got them they found a scratch on the objective lense. Instead of repairing them they sent me a brand new pair. Since the buyer and I had already agreed to pay $800 I honored the price and he got a smoking deal on brand new binos. I guess I'm old school too but in my mind a deal is a deal and commitment means something.

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never thought 24 hours was a big deal, and still dont. If I agree to sell something, Id give the buyer the benefit of doubt they are going to follow through, at least for 2 days. Stuff happens, life gets in the way of the web.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've also had guys post "I'll take it" in the for sale thread, only to pm me haggling for a better price or asking questions. Those things are fine, obviously, but don't post "I'll take it" unless you're prepared to send funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I often will hold items for people who ask. But not holding items that haven't been paid for is more frowned upon then against the rules.

I'll say though, as a seller on this site, you can get so used to quick fast payment, and after being stiffed by a few people posting an "I'll take it", it gets easy to assume that someone has backed out after a couple hours with no response.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a job where I can be away from my phone for extended periods so I sympathize, but taking longer than 24 hours to pay without any communication of that fact is too long. I would probably give the person a warning message a couple hours before I sold to someone else though. I'd also be willing to wait if someone asked if they could pay later (ie waiting for a paycheck on Friday, but you can't assume someone is willing/capable of waiting a couple days). Also, while you may say that your word is good (and it may be); there is no way for sellers to have any assurance to that fact. People get screwed over all the time on the internet even by people that have completed a few good transactions.

Dobermann

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Ghost and Ebby on this one.

A deal should be a deal. If a buyer clearly says they'll take it, that should be it. No problem for a seller to let other possible buyers know they'd be next in line if the deal falls through for some reason. And, if a buyer backs out of something that was meant to be definite, then they can be named in the good guy/bad guy list.

I've got to say, though, that in my experience of selling online on forums where people value their own reputation and honor, I've rarely had a buyer not complete a sale.

What I have seen here, though, is sellers not giving complete details (or photos!) so that buyers can make an informed decision. Or, worse, state that something is complete when it's not. I've contacted the seller, told them I'd like the item, but asked if it's complete ... only to have it sell to someone else. If an item is under negotiation partly because the seller hasn't been thorough, the seller should provide all the relevant info to the person who has expressed interest so the buyer can make the call.

bwlacy

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had it happen yet. But we can't have our phones at work so I only get on here before or after work. Heck I'm so old school I don't even know how to pay that fast, I'd have to figure it out. Guess I better get a paypal account or something.

topher89

WKR
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I get selling to someone else if its been more than 24 hours but I think a day is more than acceptable.

I know from experience that you can definitely get burned waiting around for some dude to buy your gear but I think a whole day is more than fair to wait.