What the heck do I do with a goose?

Geewhiz

WKR
Buddy asked me to go goose hunting. They have grain fields on family land and tells me they have been hammering geese. Sounds like one heck of a good time but I don't want to blast them just to blast them.

I'm fairly well versed in the world of big game but have next to zero experience bird hunting.

I'm picturing a whole goose in a roasting pan, like a turkey, but something's telling me that's not how its done...

What are some favorite ways to prepare goose meat? He tells me he makes lots of jerky. Could be good,.. I guess?

Rob5589

WKR
I usually marinate boned out breasts in something I put together then roast. I don't generally eat the legs.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Figure out what Hank Shaw recommends on his site Honest Food or in his cook book Duck, Duck, Goose. That’d be where I’d look for good goose recipes.
For some reason I think I've heard of that. I'll check it out, thanks!

FLATHEAD

WKR
I do know they are 80 bucks a piece in the grocery store here.
Never ate one but are they that good?

Superdoo

WKR
Meateater has a great pastrami recipe. I used it the first time and it was great!
Now I’m lazy. I marinate in salt and sugar brine for a day. Then pat the breasts dry, add dry rub and put them on the pellet grill.
Cook to medium rare and slice thin to serve. 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Pluck/clean the goose.

Use a cleaver to take off the wings and the neck.

In the video below, fast forward to the 12:00 minute mark to see how to clean the inside.

Brine the bird 2x. 1st brine for 6 hour.

BRINE (1st brine)
2 gallons of water
1 cup of salt

Drain the brine, rinse the bird thoroughly, then do 2nd brine for 8 hours.

BRINE (2nd)
2 gallons of water
1 cup of salt.
1 cup brown sugar
2 oranges quartered
2 lemons quartered
4 sprigs of rosemary
4 sprigs of thyme

Drain the brine, rinse the bird thoroughly, the clean and pat dry the bird.

STUFF THE BIRD
Salt & pepper the inside
2 oranges quartered
2 lemons quartered
1 large onion
1 carrot cut into 1" pieces
1 stalk of celery cut into 1" pieces
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of thyme

use more or less as needed to completely stuff the bird. Sew it up and truss it.

Oven to 325º OR put it on the rotisserie (my preferred method).
Rub the bird down with a stick of butter.
On the rotisserie season the outside of the bird as you like.

Cook until the internal temperature is 160º. Remove and tent the bird for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Pluck/clean the goose.

Use a cleaver to take off the wings and the neck.

In the video below, fast forward to the 12:00 minute mark to see how to clean the inside.

Brine the bird 2x. 1st brine for 6 hour.

BRINE (1st brine)
2 gallons of water
1 cup of salt

Drain the brine, rinse the bird thoroughly, then do 2nd brine for 8 hours.

BRINE (2nd)
2 gallons of water
1 cup of salt.
1 cup brown sugar
2 oranges quartered
2 lemons quartered
4 sprigs of rosemary
4 sprigs of thyme

Drain the brine, rinse the bird thoroughly, the clean and pat dry the bird.

STUFF THE BIRD
Salt & pepper the inside
2 oranges quartered
2 lemons quartered
1 large onion
1 carrot cut into 1" pieces
1 stalk of celery cut into 1" pieces
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of thyme

use more or less as needed to completely stuff the bird. Sew it up and truss it.

Oven to 325º OR put it on the rotisserie (my preferred method).
Rub the bird down with a stick of butter.
On the rotisserie season the outside of the bird as you like.

Cook until the internal temperature is 160º. Remove and tent the bird for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!
Good grief man. That sounds delicious.

jfs82

WKR
cure the breasts into prosciutto
render the fat
confit the legs/thighs in the fat for something phenomenal
rillettes

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
Steakhouse goose. Works best with lessers i wouldn’t try it with a big goose.

Season the breast with SPG sear both sides on cast iron then finish in the oven until it’s about 135 degrees internal temp. Let it rest and slice thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How ever you do it, be sure to cook the red meat separately from the white. The different kinds of meat need different cooking processes. The one and only reason to cook a bird whole is so that you can carve it on the dinner table in front of everybody.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
How ever you do it, be sure to cook the red meat separately from the white. The different kinds of meat need different cooking processes. The one and only reason to cook a bird whole is so that you can carve it on the dinner table in front of everybody.
Sorry, I disagree. When you do it on the rotisserie the juices stay with the bird. Also, when you roast it stuffed your materials that you stuff it with allow for a much more flavorful bird - even better than marinated.

Fordguy

WKR
When I hunted geese, the breast was either jerky or cooked hot and.fast on the grill and served rare. Over cook the breast and it's very dry, very tough and the flavor... Well it's not the greatest. Thighs and drumsticks went into a slow cooker, when falling off the bone tender remove the bones, add a can of cream of mushroom soup to the meat and broth, stir in some cooked noodles and enjoy. Or take the long route and make it all from scratch. Goose and noodles is really good.

I’ve been wanting to try duck confit for awhile, I would imagine goose would work as well. Hank shaw would be a good resource for such things. Back when I still used Instagram I asked him a couple questions about his recipes and he responded very quickly with great insight, seems like a nice guy and knows his stuff.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
So we kill a god handful of geese a year I mainly only do 3 different things.
Jerky
Pastrami
And then throw a couple breasts into a crockpot with some bbq sauce and some beef broth (and rub of choice) then let it cook all day, shred it and have bbq sandwiches.