What the heck do I do with a goose?

Something I do with ducks which would also work with geese is take individual skin on breasts barely score the breast skin with a razor blade in a crosshatch so you don’t go through the fat. Salt and pepper both sides, lay skin side down in a cold cast iron skillet and cook as low as possible until you get most of the fat to render out, then crank the heat up and get the skin crispy and flip to brown the other side but not too long, cool to medium rare and slice thin. My wife who doesn’t usually like duck likes it this way. Not greasy and is like med rare steak slices.

BDRam16

WKR
Absolutely the best Canada goose recipe I have ever made:

Breast out the bird and take off the thigh/leg whole. Season all the meat with your favorite rub that would be suitable for either pork or beef. Brown all sides of all meat hot and fast in a pan. All meat goes into the crockpot with a can of Coke for as long as it takes for the meat to pull/shred easily. Leg bones should slide right out. Drain all the liquid into a sauce pan and add your favorite BBQ sauce to thicken and reduce, but still on the watery side. Sauce back into the crockpot with the meat and stir. Serve on your favorite bun or slider roll, I like the Hawaiian ones.

kpk

WKR
Jerky is about the only way I like them and I used to shoot a ton of geese.

Another suggestion is to cube the breast meat and marinate in something soy based for kebobs.

There's a number of good suggestions in here and one that mentions "white meat", which you will not find on a wild (or any?) goose.

Jerky is a winner for goose. Some geese are better than others (ie Ag geese vs golf course geese)
The strong flavor goes really well in jerky IMO

Everyone making goose jerky is seriously missing out. Don't get me wrong, I love goose Jerky.

But what you do is pluck it, singe the pin feathers, gut it, yada, yada...

Then you cut the spine out, shove it breast side up into a massive cast iron pan, season well with salt and cumin, then stick a temp probe in the breast and roast it in the oven at 425 degrees until the internal temp is like 130-135. Medium or medium rare is the secret to roast waterfowl, in my opinion.

Carve it up and garnish with wild plum jam.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone making goose jerky is seriously missing out. Don't get me wrong, I love goose Jerky.

But what you do is pluck it, singe the pin feathers, gut it, yada, yada...

Then you cut the spine out, shove it breast side up into a massive cast iron pan, season well with salt and cumin, then stick a temp probe in the breast and roast it in the oven at 425 degrees until the internal temp is like 130-135. Medium or medium rare is the secret to roast waterfowl, in my opinion.

Carve it up and garnish with wild plum jam.
As good as that sounds, I am not taking the time to pluck a goose. Skinned breast and leg/thigh is all I am going after. I plucked too many chickens as a kid and hated every min of it.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I appreciate all the feedback. I've got lots of things to try!

If you get into a slaughter fest like a snow goose hunt, I like to breast them and grind the breast meat with bacon ends. Makes great burgers.

As good as that sounds, I am not taking the time to pluck a goose. Skinned breast and leg/thigh is all I am going after. I plucked too many chickens as a kid and hated every min of it.
I understand that sentiment. If I shoot a bunch, I usually pluck a few birds for special occasions and skin the leftover birds for jerky or stir fry.

Buddy asked me to go goose hunting. They have grain fields on family land and tells me they have been hammering geese. Sounds like one heck of a good time but I don't want to blast them just to blast them.

I'm fairly well versed in the world of big game but have next to zero experience bird hunting.

I'm picturing a whole goose in a roasting pan, like a turkey, but something's telling me that's not how its done...

What are some favorite ways to prepare goose meat? He tells me he makes lots of jerky. Could be good,.. I guess?
Cook like most wild game. Don't over cook it. Salt water brine the meat over night is huge. Pluck breast and singe with flame. Put breast in salt water brine. Remove rinse score skin on breast season with any good wild game seasonings. Blacken in skillet to medium rare at the most. Can be eat as is or served with a topping sauce. I did one with a pomegranate reduction sauce . It's incredible good.

Attachments

• 20210204_184850.jpg
    20210204_184850.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 28
Cook like most wild game. Don't over cook it. Salt water brine the meat over night is huge. Pluck breast and singe with flame. Put breast in salt water brine. Remove rinse score skin on breast season with any good wild game seasonings. Blacken in skillet to medium rare at the most. Can be eat as is or served with a topping sauce. I did one with a pomegranate reduction sauce . It's incredible good.
Only pluck the breast.

Breasts jerky or pastraimi, legs,thighs slow cooker till off bone and make rice soup. And seconds on the skinning them boys.