What the heck happened to curtain rods

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
Bought some curtain rods at Walmart not to long ago while I was remodeling the house we moved into.

When did they start using pop cans to make the curtain rods and hardware. Everything is so cheap and either bends or breaks.
Thank you China

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Ha! My wife knows how much I hate curtains because of this,all the screws would strip and all the hardware bends.

China is concentrating on importing the "Kung-Flu", putting lead in kid's toys and spreading the Avian Flu in our poultry. There's no time to beef up curtain rods.😏

grfox92

WKR
I can build you a house from the ground up start to finish, but I lose my mind trying to unbox and effectively hang cheap curtain rods.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I use curtain rod holders to hang strung recurves on the wall. Honestly the only reason I’ve ever had to ask where the curtain rods were.

Q child

WKR
I have American made curtain rods. Curtains too. I know because I made them. They’re really nice.
You have cheap and crappy curtain rods because you walked into the cheapest store and bought the cheapest stuff. Why did you do that?

OP
boonez40

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
I have American made curtain rods. Curtains too. I know because I made them. They’re really nice.
You have cheap and crappy curtain rods because you walked into the cheapest store and bought the cheapest stuff. Why did you do that?
I didn't, you forgot to add the wife to the equation.
It takes me a min of six months to purchase a new pair of shoes. It drives my wife crazy when I need something and I will not buy it till I have done my research.

Let's be real here, shoes are an investment in your feet. A bad pair of shoes will destroy your feet, knees, hips and back. I am on my feet on concrete a min of 12 hours a day.

This my friends is why I still own and shoot a 2009 Mathews Monster. Yes I own a brand new bow I purchased in 2014. Its hanging in my building as a back up. Shot enough to sight it in to 60 yards. It will most likely be a POS by the time I need it. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
My wife sewed the curtains for one of our sliding doors...couldn't find a good rod to hold them across that span. got a length of rebar and some floor pipe fittings and attached pipe elbows to the fittings. Rebar sits in the elbows. Cost like $20.

When we move this will be our standard curtain rod.

The curtain rod situation is paralleled by… almost everything.
It started when the Big-Box retailers came to town and offered a cheap disposable version, of the all the good stuff. People responded to the price. The good stuff people went out of business.
Welcome to the 21st century!

Your first problem is that you went to Walmart for home decor. What are you expecting?

My wife just got two different curtain rods from a design outfit and both are solid pieces that were cut to specifications by a pro. You want quality, you don't go to Walmart.

Goatboy22

FNG
Curtain rods? Back when I was in my 20's I put up all my curtains with thumbtacks, color coordinated with the curtain color. My sisters gave me the curtains. Then I got married......

TomJoad

WKR
This has absolutely nothing to with China and little to do with Walmart. All a factory (located anywhere including the US) is doing is building to spec based on a contract. All Walmart is doing is delivering exactly what consumers are asking for: low price above all else.

Want to see change? Start buying against other metrics, like quality if that’s what’s important to you. Your purchase of that rod just confirmed Walmarts assumptions and aggregate purchases are driving new POs right now.

Want someone to complain about? Look to yourself first, look to American consumers second: we asked for it (low price) they’re just delivering what we asked for.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You expected quality from Walmart? You know Walmart is cheap because they intentionally spec things poorly? This can be so bad as to effect even reputable brands as Walmart will request corners be cut on the production they get shipped (such as dropping QC).

In short, nothing has happened to curtain rods, you just get what you pay for and too many people are not willing to pay for quality.

wapitibob

WKR
This has absolutely nothing to with China and little to do with Walmart. All a factory (located anywhere including the US) is doing is building to spec based on a contract. All Walmart is doing is delivering exactly what consumers are asking for: low price above all else.

Want to see change? Start buying against other metrics, like quality if that’s what’s important to you. Your purchase of that rod just confirmed Walmarts assumptions and aggregate purchases are driving new POs right now.

Want someone to complain about? Look to yourself first, look to American consumers second: we asked for it (low price) they’re just delivering what we asked for.
Finally somebody gets it.