What the heck is a "possibles pouch"?

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Always hearing guys saying, "I keep it in my possibles pouch." Not sure if I'm mishearing them or what, but I can't figure out what they are taking about.

Thanks

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

WKR
It's an old mountain man saying. It's the man purse you carry, basically your 10 essentials.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Yep, a throwback to the old "possibles bag" of the past. I'd say what is in it varies widely by person and how they specifically use it but I think of it as "core gear" meaning stuff that I always want to have with me regardless of the exact hunt/activity I'm doing. Some examples for me would be things like headlamp, compass, knife/knives, fire kit, cordage, first aid, etc.

WKR
Yup. My lid on my pack is my possibles bag. If I drop my pack that comes with me (Fanny pack style). When I drop my pack bag and just use the frame to haul meat the lid stays on the frame. It's "oh shit kit" and I don't like to be separated from it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DIYslide

FNG
((Video))
Did he say corking up?? Newbie question: what is he taking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
A small bag or pack that goes with you everywhere no matter what. It has the minimum amount of gear needed to 'survive' if you get separated from your pack and camp

Debo75

FNG
((Video))
Did he say corking up?? Newbie question: what is he taking about?

Old school camo facepaint. You burn the end of a cork and smudge your face and backs of your hands with the soot.

boom

WKR
i've often thought that "IMPOSSIBLE POUCH" made more sense for my friends pack. for example:

"wtf?!..is that a zombie?!! IMPOSSIBLE!!! thank goodness is slipped this Benelli tactical into my impossible pouch w/290713 shells!"

he is a schooch on the extreme side.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
My "possibles pouch" contains a lot more than the necessary survival basics.

Mine contains things like repair patches for air mattress, spare boot lace, extra batteries, backup headlamp, tent pole repair tube, super glue, zip ties, knife sharpener, lens cleaner wipe, water purification tabs, etc.

Basically all those small items for repairing critical gear in the field and keeping me out there longer if things go poorly.

Everything as light as possible but I have expanded the contents quite a bit from the 10 essentials.

My "possibles pouch" contains a lot more than the necessary survival basics.

Mine contains things like repair patches for air mattress, spare boot lace, extra batteries, backup headlamp, tent pole repair tube, super glue, zip ties, knife sharpener, lens cleaner wipe, water purification tabs, etc.

Basically all those small items for repairing critical gear in the field and keeping me out there longer if things go poorly.

Everything as light as possible but I have expanded the contents quite a bit from the 10 essentials.

I'm more on this level for a "possibles pouch." It's really my back-up equipment.

The 10 essentials always are with me no matter what. But the possibles pouch with extra batteries, tent patches, etc; that stays back at camp.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Old school camo facepaint. You burn the end of a cork and smudge your face and backs of your hands with the soot.

Exactly right... It wipes off pretty easy at the end of the day - especially nice if you're in the backcountry. Another good option is carbo mask.

Good luck.