What the heck is everyone carrying

OP
M
For me it’s a few snacks, rope, knife, game bag and water. Maybe a puffy but most of the time I don’t. My fulcrum is strapped down And just use the guide lid. Still have room in the lid.

Every time I watch a hunting show it seems that everyone’s pack is stuffed full during hunts. I could see packing in and out but during the hunt??? What the heck are these guys carrying in there??? Once I leave camp I am not carrying very much but the basics and can pretty much fit everything in a guide lid.
Just wondering
I've often wondered the same thing, especially when they have a base camp and they're not spiking out at all. You got me, I can't imagine what the hell would be filling all those packs.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on weather. I carry head lamp, jetboil, 2L water, CNOC bag and sawyer water filter, 3aaa batteries as backup, puffy (weather dependent), food ( I try to get at least 3000 calories in a day when I’m not hunting), kill kit w/game bags (the one time I thought I should save the weight and leave it I shot a bull about 3.5 miles away.... stupid on my part .)
Sometimes a camera. It always amazes me how many cool creatures I see when I DON’T have a tag for them.
Very rarely a spotting scope.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daypack rolls about 25lbs! The older I get the more crap I carry. My pack is certainly "compressed" though

mine is right in that ballpark; I'm glad it was yesterday though, 9F when I left the truck- even colder near the top where I wanted to glass (and the wind had come up)- had my puffy top on (and a couple of layers underneath), puffy bottom, two short ccf pads- one for my butt, one for my feet and when that wasn't enough, I draped my emergency quilt over the top :D

you add in food, water, kill kit, headlamp, trekking poles (lashed and not used unless hauling meat out), etc- pretty easy to get in the 25 lb range

R2xaQUk.jpg

I have so much crap to pack, even for just a day hunt that my pack is almost always full. I plan for the worst case scenario, like I may get stranded on the mountain and have to spend the night, or I get hurt or whatever. My down bottoms and tops always stay in the bottom of my pack and after 95 mm BTX, food, first aid kit, jetboil, rain gear etc I easily completely stuff my 3600 Kuiu pack.

prm

WKR
I was watching Newberg’s YouTube with the folks hunting Caribou, and they had nearly full packs on stalks near the truck. I was baffled...

Once I‘m packed into an area, I hunt with a kill kit, first aid, snacks for day, water purification, bag of miscellaneous supplies, and layering appropriate for the day. It all fits easily into my Stryker bag. I am looking to trim it down again just to keep weight to a bare minimum while hunting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I asked two different guys that question this year, and both carried packs all day that were larger and more filled to the brim than I take on a 2-3 night pack-in trip. Neither had a tripod or spotter, and this was archery season. One told me "well, you never know what you'll need back here". Actually, this isn't my first rodeo.....I've been doing this for awhile. I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I'll need back there. But both of them were 30 and under. I'm sure they'll eventually be paring it down as well after a few seasons under their belt, and when they start feeling every joint in their body.

Last edited:
I’ve been hunting with my young boys this week and so I’m the pack mule of the group with all the water, extra coats, hand warmers, hot chocolate, etc. yesterday when it warmed up and we shed a layer, my pack looked like it had enough gear for a week on Everest.

when I’m by myself I carry a lot less, but it still feels heavier than I would like.