What the snowpack looking like in montana

Headed to Montana specifically the big snowy mountains and little belts the first week of May. I would like to hunt the snowies but wasn't sure what the snowline would be like this year. Back up plan us the lower elevations of the little belts. Anyone have any idea what the snowmelt is looking like for the two ranges the first week of may?

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
The big snowies just got hammered with snow. Even on warm years it usually doesn’t green up until late May. Another downside is they have limited access and the access points get quite a bit of hunting pressure. Low elevation little belts would probably be a much better option if you’re coming early May

fireguy65

Lil-Rokslider
The first track I've seen this year..... after a light snow the day after Easter.

Attachments

• 20220417_185555.jpg
    20220417_185555.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 59

Deadfall

WKR
Most of montana just got hammered with snow. Atleast from great falls west. A couple feet worth up high. I would push your time frame if possible

OP
P
Most of montana just got hammered with snow. Atleast from great falls west. A couple feet worth up high. I would push your time frame if possible
Unfortunately I'm not able to with having the week off scheduled through work. I have a few spots in the 4500 to 5500 ft range wasn't sure if there would still be snow in that range with what looks like warm Temps coming through for the next week

Deadfall

WKR
Unfortunately I'm not able to with having the week off scheduled through work. I have a few spots in the 4500 to 5500 ft range wasn't sure if there would still be snow in that range with what looks like warm Temps coming through for the next week
We supposed to be getting rain next couple weeks, recon that might help if it knocks enough snow out and start getting some green.

WCB

WKR
Ill be out there end of next week at anywhere between 4000-6000ft. I will be hunting private ranches a few touching the NW side of the little belts. Snow is going fast and without any other major snow fall and the warm temps next week it will be all but gone. However the little belts themselves (at least the Monarch or Neihart) are probably going to be 10+ degrees cooler and the heavy timber is going to hold the snow longer.

Good part may be if you find exposed areas the bears will probably be there...be prepared for slimmy muddy mess though. At least in the area I am going to it is a struggle to get around the ranches but the warm up should help.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely peek at the Snotel site, there are a few sites in and near the Little Belts that should give you an idea of snow conditions.

Looks there is another chance this weekend for some more snow (in the mountains anyways)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you click on the NASA button it has some relatively up to date shots- not real time, but timely anyways :)

bsnedeker

WKR
Maps update every 3-4 days depending on cloud cover.
Lol...ok, that explains it! Everything looked white when I looked at my house in the Flathead valley but we haven't had snow down here in a while...I forgot that clouds are a thing!

ianpadron

WKR
Lol...ok, that explains it! Everything looked white when I looked at my house in the Flathead valley but we haven't had snow down here in a while...I forgot that clouds are a thing!
I'm in the Flathead too, we should meet up and discuss killing bulls like that one in your pic ;)