What time of day are most of your shots on Elk?

Loper

WKR
Out of curiosity, what time of day have you shot elk? Are most of your shots at dusk or dawn in low light conditions, or are they at other times of the day when there is plenty of light out?

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just ran through all the ones I could remember and it is literally a 50/50 split for before noon and after noon. That covers 40 years and both rifle and archery. And both rifle and archery were split in the middle individually as well.

Out of curiosity, what time of day have you shot elk? Are most of your shots at dusk or dawn in low light conditions, or are they at other times of the day when there is plenty of light out?
All mornings first light to 9am.

Kills spread throughout the day really, I have had a few encounters in low light conditions but didn’t close on them

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I think it really depends on where and how you hunt. I have shot all but 2 the last 1/2 hour of legal light. The other 2 were between 10:30 and noon.

In the areas I hunt, you are not glassing anything from a distance. If you can see it, it's already well within rifle range less than 250 yards) and in allot of cases, less than 75 yards.

From my experience, the bulls are far more likely to come in close to investigate a call during this time, especially as the rut progresses and the bulls get cow'd up.

Downside of shooting at last light is you have to accept the fact that you are dressing and packing in the dark.

A-Brakke

FNG
New to the forum. Thanks providing a chance to talk Elk with my morning coffee. Just moved and don’t know anyone to talk it with. Figured I’d hop in hear.

I’ve always found for myself it depends on the season your hunting them. For Rut hunting I’ve always killed bulls 10:30am - 2:00pm. I’ve just found it’s been easier for me to pull a bull away from his cows when his cows are are bedded for the day. Typically a few grunts and raking….I don’t like to be to pushy.

For late season I’ve found it to be a wide range. From first 1 hour of day light - last hour of daylight. Typically if mid day I’m hunting in a high elevation secluded area where I believe they feel safer, and will be out a bit more.

Just my experience….Appreciate all the great threads posted. Thanks.