What time of day are most of your shots on Elk?

Kurts86

WKR
3/4 of mine have been in the last hour of light in the evening and were a result of locating them in the morning by glassing or calls and intercepting them in the PM when I had time to get in the right place.

My experience with mornings is that I’m scrambling to play catch up as the elk move away regardless if it’s a September rut hunt or October rifle hunt. I’ve had a lot of action in the mornings but I found it difficult to capitalize on. Mornings are just a bit more chaotic for me. It think the key to mornings are having more experience and knowledge of elk movements in a given unit.

My one true mid day September opportunity was blow up by me not understanding thermals on my first day ever elk hunting.

I think it really depends on where and how you hunt. I have shot all but 2 the last 1/2 hour of legal light. The other 2 were between 10:30 and noon.

In the areas I hunt, you are not glassing anything from a distance. If you can see it, it's already well within rifle range less than 250 yards) and in allot of cases, less than 75 yards.

From my experience, the bulls are far more likely to come in close to investigate a call during this time, especially as the rut progresses and the bulls get cow'd up.

Downside of shooting at last light is you have to accept the fact that you are dressing and packing in the dark.
Yes but the upside is the flies and meat bee's arent nearly as bad and it's way cooler packing out. To be fair though i am talking about sharp stick seasons.

Seth

WKR
Nearly 100% of my family’s elk have been in the last hour of daylight. We hunt mornings and have good action, but it all seems to come together late in the day.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
75% from 11-3, and the rest the first 30 minutes of shooting light and 5-10 minutes right before last light.

most my shots are in the last hour of the day , with one midday bull I shot around 2 in the afternoon.

Wrench

WKR
Killed a few at closing light, but the bulk are after/in or on their way to bedding areas.

bz_711

WKR
All in the PM...still not sure why I'm hiking in the dark each morning...

Laramie

WKR
I would have to look through my notes but I feel a slight majority were in the morning. That said, I have killed elk at all hours of daylight.

Archery 11am, 1130am and 5pm.. Rifle before 8am on all of them. Biggest bull was at 730 am. Hopefully this year I can challenge that bull which isn't to hard. Lol