What Tips for Long Range Hunting?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been hitting the very basics for someone brand new to the idea of long range hunting, and will continue to do them.

I am also working on a list of items for practical video tips to help the more experienced shooters expand their technique and explain how to use gear. Tripod use will be a significant part of the videos, but wondering if there was anything else Roksliders wanted to see. I will be heading out to do some shooting bullets and video soon, and will include your requests.

Lawnboi

WKR
Not exactly tips, but maybe some drills that guys can participate in, and post results.

Such as this thread

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like that idea, actually. He makes a good point. I was one of the guys that went to the range, missed three or four times, got dialed in and then said "Look how cool I am". That was early on when I was a newbie. Now, I realize it is the first shot that matters and practice that more.

I have seen it done before, but someone posts up a challenge for the month and people post up their results. That would be interesting.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I agree tripod usage would be helpful in particular transition from glassing with binos to rifle ready.

Not sure if it falls within your area of expertise...but shot placement and terminal performance have been of particular interest to me lately.

Some of the long range mechanics can be found out there in terms of other shooting disciplines (PRS/NRL) but from a hunting perspective I feel like terminal performance is only covered in passing (maybe only learned through experience?).

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree tripod usage would be helpful in particular transition from glassing with binos to rifle ready.

Not sure if it falls within your area of expertise...but shot placement and terminal performance have been of particular interest to me lately.

Some of the long range mechanics can be found out there in terms of other shooting disciplines (PRS/NRL) but from a hunting perspective I feel like terminal performance is only covered in passing (maybe only learned through experience?).

Good feedback.

I plan on the videos showing how I use a tripod from pack to glass to shooting. So, on the same page there.

Precision shooting has lots of good stuff. I hope to make it more practical and easy for hunters to translate what they are seeing.

I can cover terminal performance some, probably lay out the basics, and point to some epic threads I have seen recently.

Thanks!

Stephen

The Kraft data “challenge” is a good exercise. Shot it twice today with my hunting rifle & bulk Hornady American Gunner ammo (shot numbers aren’t correct).

View attachment 268532

View attachment 268537

For those that don’t know, the Kraft challenge consists of shooting 1-shot standing, 1-shot kneeling, 1-shot sitting, and 1-shot prone. Do this 3 times in order (total of 12 shots).

The Modern Day Sniper dot drill is a good one too.

What are the rules for support? I assume you're using a tripod or other rest in all positions to shoot groups like that?

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All positions are supported. You can use whatever you want, but most guys will not clip into their tripods. I put a bag on top of tripods for positional and use a bipod for prone.

If you’re shooting unsupported a bunch in the field, then there’s no reason you shouldn’t run the drill unsupported.

For me, I’ve always been able to use a bipod, tripod, pack frame, fence post/rail, tree limb, rock, etc in the field so I don’t shoot much unsupported any more.
I've only been hunting for a few years, but that is my experience. I either have time to use something nearby, if only a hiking staff or shooting sticks. And, with practice I mostly have time to deploy a tripod. After a couple years of PRS matches, everything looks like a barricade. And, I am quite confident I will never have to shoot off of a bag full of rubber balls and pool noodles, lol.

ericwh

WKR
Just a comment - I'm on the forum regularly but I'm not "seeing" the tips. i.e. I forgot about the tips until I saw this thread. Now I'm going to go get caught up.

Maybe it's just how I browse the forum. Or maybe there's a way it could be more visible when you post a new tip?

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks. Yes, getting awareness is the trick. Takes time.

Maybe a contest for everyone that follows the forum... free stuff gets attention.

Not sure if this is the kind of tip your looking for, but for me it is patience. The first time I had a long range shot I rushed it bad and missed. The deer just looked around for a bit and went back to eating. I ended up watch it for 1.5 hours before I took another shot. Ever since then I don't do anything until around 15-20 minutes goes by to calm down and assess the shot.