What tires are you running?

Rich_Senn

FNG
I've got a Ram 2500 that's been through several sets.

Nitto Trail Grappler - Great off road traction, terrible tread life, a little loud on the highway.

BF Goodrich KO2 - Great all around tire, with about 30K. Not aggressive enough when I needed it, didn't clean out well in mud. Perfect for my 1/2 ton vehicles but not for my 3/4 ton.

Cooper STT Pro - Great tire, great off road traction, not to loud on highway. They are sipped so they do great in rain and wet traction. Great tread life at 35K, I may be going back to these.

Cooper ST Maxx - Great all around tire, did better than the KO2 offroad and about the same tread life at 30K. I think the STT Pro performed better and being an MT it also looked better.

Dick Cepek Fun Country - This tire has 10K and looks new, is a great all around tire for on road highway driving, and does good off road. It cleans out better than the KO2 did and gets better gas mileage than the Cooper ST Pro did. If the treadlife holds up to the 30K mark I'll get another set and if not I'll go back to the STT Pro

If you had a 1/2 ton vehicle, I'd say the Duratrac's are extremely hard to beat. I felt invincible when I had my Chevy Silverado, but that's also because it had the locker for true 4x4. The Ram's 4x4 and limited slip is the worst I've ever owned and 4x4 is practically non existent compared to the Silverado. I haven't tried the Duratrac's on my 3/4 ton since they beefed up the sidewall on the 10ply.

CorbLand

WKR
I have Big O AT on my 2001 Tundra. Cant say that I absolutely love them but they have done well in the snow, mud, rain, and all the above. I only get about 35,000 miles out of them but they keep giving me a prorated deal on replacing them so I got the second set for pretty cheap.

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
One ton ford diesel
BFG only got maybe 20,000 miles.
Toyo MT got about 35,000 miles
Toyo RT I have about 25,000 miles on so far and it looks like I’ve got another 25,000 of tread left. All had good off road traction. All around I like the the Toyo RT’s the best.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Running a 2500, some tires don't wear as well on them. Had some Nitto Terra Graplers, decent traction and low road noise, so-so life (35k range). After reading reviews for tires that hold up well on 3/4t trucks I decided to give Hankook Dynapros a try, literally just got a set put on Monday.

SWOHTR

WKR
All of these comments and not one about pressure?!

What tire pressure are you running? Are you routinely running at greater than 35 psi? Don’t count on the tire shop/mechanic to get your tire pressure right. Do it yourself. It’s cheap or free. Match your tire pressure to your load. Check your vehicle’s manual and/or sticker on the inside of your drivers side door.

Guarantee you will have better performance if you do this and aren’t already. You’ll also get better mileage out of your KO2s. I had a set and at 20k on them, had 3/4 tread life left.

The alternative is to trust someone else to put the right pressure in your tires. Almost guarantee they will read the tire sidewall max pressure and put that in your tires. Then you drive off with a stiff ride, hating life, and looking to spend $1k more in new tires that “wear and ride better.”

Or just air tires appropriately to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
All of these comments and not one about pressure?!

What tire pressure are you running? Are you routinely running at greater than 35 psi? Don’t count on the tire shop/mechanic to get your tire pressure right. Do it yourself. It’s cheap or free. Match your tire pressure to your load. Check your vehicle’s manual and/or sticker on the inside of your drivers side door.

Guarantee you will have better performance if you do this and aren’t already. You’ll also get better mileage out of your KO2s. I had a set and at 20k on them, had 3/4 tread life left.

The alternative is to trust someone else to put the right pressure in your tires. Almost guarantee they will read the tire sidewall max pressure and put that in your tires. Then you drive off with a stiff ride, hating life, and looking to spend $1k more in new tires that “wear and ride better.”

Or just air tires appropriately to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my trucks the experience has always been the opposite and they set them to manufacturer spec, which is 28/32 for my Tundra. It seems like there is always a fight to get the oil change places to just leave them where I have them. When I'm towing I usually run them 45/50.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cooper ST Maxx. No reason to ever switch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I can't believe the love for Duratracs. I've got a set with 12k on them sitting in the shop because that's all I put on them before switching back out to STMaxx. My boss wore out a set of Duratracs at about 25k on his 3500 Duramax. Mine were on my Tacoma, and I hated the Duratracs. Get a set of ST Maxx, have them siped, and enjoy life lol.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Tires aren't what they used to be. Probably some regulation banning some substance in their manufacturing, but they don't last worth a crap these days. In my 30 year old Toyota I always got 50-60k miles out of a set.........everything I ever ran on it. The last two sets have barely made it to 30-35k. My previous set were the KO's, they convinced me that the KO2's would last longer so I got those this time. Only about 6k so far, but we'll see.

On my F-350......same thing, lucky to get 35k. I've had Big O AT's and Michelin LTX's and they last the same......only about 35k. On the F-350 I could care less about everything else.........I'd just like to get 60k out of a set.

sneaky

"DADDY"
5miles... you really only getting 30-35k on your Toyota? My 06 double cab Tacoma I got almost 70k out of my last set of ST Maxx, and I've got almost 40k on this set and i'm still at almost 11/32 on them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
5miles... you really only getting 30-35k on your Toyota?

Ya, those were the original BFG KO's before the KO2's. The best I've had were Michelin XC AT's but they discontinued those years ago. Superb snow and ice traction with great lugs for mud as well. A little loud on the highway, but got over 60k on those.

Gr8bawana

WKR
On my trucks the experience has always been the opposite and they set them to manufacturer spec, which is 28/32 for my Tundra. It seems like there is always a fight to get the oil change places to just leave them where I have them. When I'm towing I usually run them 45/50.

Too many people fill their tires up to the max psi on the sidewall and leave it there. I guess they aren't smart enough to know that is for carrying the max weight on those tires. Then they wonder why their pick-ups have such a crappy ride and the tires wear out in the middle, like my idiot bro-in-law.

TripleJ

WKR
I had bad luck with several sets of Toyos on a couple different trucks. I switched to Coopers about 10 years ago, and have been super happy with them. I'm currently running the ST-MAXX on my 2010 Tundra and they've been great. I also had good luck with AT3's on my old 2004 Tundra.

16Bore

WKR
Bridgestone Dueler A/T. I've ridden them for 268k miles, my brother for 190k.

You won't see another tire on our trucks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Too many people fill their tires up to the max psi on the sidewall and leave it there. I guess they aren't smart enough to know that is for carrying the max weight on those tires. Then they wonder why their pick-ups have such a crappy ride and the tires wear out in the middle, like my idiot bro-in-law.

I've seen more people running their tires too low. They don't seem to adjust them for whatever load they're carrying.

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
I would never buy duratracs. They have such a weak sidewall. I had a twig puncture the sidewall. Couldn't believe it.

I used to love the duratracs on my 1/2 ton, when I put them on my 3/4 ton it was a huge disappointment. I actually made Goodyear refund me on them because they wore so fast and 2 out of 4 had tread seperation. I thought I had out of balance tires twice and both times they found bulges in the tread where it had seperated. As far as air pressure at factory spec... That is the worst ride you could ask for in a 3/4 ton. Ram wants you to have 80lbs in the rear. Might as well drive on solid tires at that point. Unless I am towing something heavy, I run my F range Nitto's at 65 lbs and the ride is exponentially better.

Gobspur

FNG
All terrain tire, I've had 2 sets of BFG KO and 1 set of ko2s. Ive got between 60-70k on all, on a 1/2 ton. Rotate every 5000. Buy load D, much better ride. 10 ply are probably rated higher than the damn axle.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk