What tires are you running?

isu22andy

WKR
Ive had two sets of Hankook Dynapro ATMs and they are good for 40-50,000 miles on them. They are an okay all around tire. Gotta compromise somewhere in tires. Arent they all made by like 3 manufacturers anyway ?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I had two GY Wranglers blow out sidewalls last fall on my rd trip. Switched to Cooper AT3s as I have had them before with out any problems. Great on ice and hwy but not great in mud and deep snow. I am driving a 3/4 ton so options are more limited than a smaller truck.
I am still searching for the perfect tire.

260madman

WKR
The only knock on my Hankook Dynapro ATMs is the rock/gravel retention. They seem to not clear out very quick.

Ran Goodyear Duratracs for a long time in AK. Excellent snow and ice tire, even when towing a loaded trailer on slick roads. Sold them with 40k miles and tons of tread left. Only downside is they get really loud after about 10k and they don’t balance worth a damn. Just put on a set of Nitro ridge grapplers. Hopefully get similar performance from them.

I purchased Michelin Defender LTX for my Nissan Armada. The truck came with Contintental Conti Trac which were horrible. The Michelins ride like the truck is a magic carpet, no road noise, and wet road handling is sure and stable. I would not hesitate to buy another set.

sneaky

"DADDY"
How are those LTXs off pavement?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No, they aren't really. They are rated very high in snow and rain, but are designed more on road than off. Definitely not a mud tire, but I run them on some of the dirt roads and two tracks on the Ranch I hunt. I saw the title "What tires are you running?" so I told him. Guess he should have asked "What MUD tires are you running?" Sorry..... forget I said anything

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wtf are you talking about? I just asked a simple question about how they do OFF PAVEMENT. For the love of God point out where I asked how they do in mud? I'm curious as to how they handle gravels, sidewall abrasion etc etc. My dad had a set on his 2wd pickup, but it was always on the pavement. I've not heard from anyone who has spent any amount of time on dirt/ gravel roads, around sagebrush etc etc with those tires.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Never made it past 30k with BFG AT’s on a diesel. Have gotten 65k +- out of 3 sets of Toyo AT’s XT . At 55k on set of RT’s. Like RT’s better but don’t expect same longevity out of them as the AT’s I actually shocked but happy I broke 50k on them

Sorry sneaky, misunderstood your question. I thought you meant "How could I call those LTX off pavement?". Sorry again-my apologies. I found them decent on gravel, and the sidewalls held up very well- no scuffs or abrasions. They did pick up a little gravel in the tread, but those cleaned out once I got onto blacktop. If most of your use will be off road, I would opt for a little more aggressive tread.
I bought these on someone's recommendation-my primary use is travel on the highway, with a little off the highway driving once I get to the hunting area. They are excellent on the highway, and very quiet.

Mickey Thompson ATZ for quiet ride on highway or MTZ for true off road performance.
I got about 80k useable miles out of both

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I run falken wild peaks on my ram 2500 cummins I like everything about them except they throw rocks worse than any tire I have ever had.

Chico103

Lil-Rokslider
On my third set of bfg ko2’s. All have gotten around 45,000 miles on 2500 diesels. Best tire ive had on snow and ice. And they’re quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RumLover

FNG
I've got 40k miles on my 10 ply Mickey Thompson mtz's with about 3/4" tred left. They've pulled me out of some mud holes that I never would have tried with the Goodyear's I had before them.

Beendare

WKR
Not happy with longevity of BFG KO2 tires. Looking for alternatives in a 10 ply that work well on trails, but don't wear so fast.

I'm running the Toyo Open Country's on my Tundra and got right at 80,000 miles on my first set. I've never got that kind of mileage from any truck tire over the last 4 decades.

Those Toyos are fantastic off road, though they have a radical tread pattern they aren't as loud as some of the other comparable tires...but they are expensive....and heavy if that matters.

I’ve ran toyo mt rt and now the at2 all in a 3/4 ram I loved the wear I got on the mt the rt I traded that truck in before I really got to see how they wore but was happy with their performance off road these at2 tires I don’t think I’ll buy again I’ve been stuck more this year in places I didn’t think I should have been stuck in on road they are pretty good tho.... but when your hours from home being stuck is a bad feeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk