What to build, volume/hunter?

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Curious as to why you are eliminating the easiest choice?

I agree. I'm all for being different but it comes at a cost. If you shoot as much as you say then it's hard to give up the option of factory ammo. I shoot a 6x47 in my match rifle and a 6.5x55 wild cat in my hunting rifle but when I go to the range to burn 100 rounds I grab the factory creedmoor cause it's so damn cheap!

OP
lyle_destroys
I agree. I'm all for being different but it comes at a cost. If you shoot as much as you say then it's hard to give up the option of factory ammo. I shoot a 6x47 in my match rifle and a 6.5x55 wild cat in my hunting rifle but when I go to the range to burn 100 rounds I grab the factory creedmoor cause it's so damn cheap!
You and Form do have a good point, I like having something different and everyone has a 6.5 creedmoor now but Im pretty sure I wouldnt be disappointed if thats the route I went.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You and Form do have a good point, I like having something different and everyone has a 6.5 creedmoor now but Im pretty sure I wouldnt be disappointed if thats the route I went.

Don’t go “special” on a volume shooter. Volume shooters should the most common chambering in their class- 223, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, 300 WM, etc.

Going 260, 6.5x47L, etc. gives up every advantage with the only positive being able to say “it’s not a Creedmoor”.

Baron85

WKR
I built a 6.5x47 a few years back when the 6.5 creedmoor was just coming out. I wanted to jump on the creedmoor bandwagon for the available factory ammo but at the time there wasn’t much quality brass (I prefer lapua brass) so I decided to go 6.5x47. I have not been disappointed. But I will say, once this barrel is smoked I will be going with the creedmoor due to the factory ammo. I obviously reload but it’s nice when I take new shooters out to be able to tell them to pick up a couple boxes of ammo so they are burning their money not mine.

WRO

WKR
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not being able to run them in a factory SA setup is a bummer.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this thread about building a custom rifle?

Also there are a few manufacturers not named remington that sell the PRC in a short action?

N2TRKYS

WKR

Yeah, not being able to run them in a factory SA setup is a bummer.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this thread about building a custom rifle?

Also there are a few manufacturers not named remington that sell the PRC in a short action?[/QUOTE]

It was asked if it would fit it a SA and I was pointing out not necessarily in all. You seemed adamant that it would so I asked about your experience with the Remington SA. Everything I’ve read and folks I’ve talked to said not to build on a short action, but rather on a medium or long action.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
6.5x47L. Exceptional barrel life. Amazing brass. I’ve had 30 firings on brass. Dream to load for. Everything your asking for without being a groupie.

As for a stock the Manners Eh1 is hard to beat

I have a left hand savage 11 7mm-08 that Ive had since high school. I have thousands of rounds through it and Im ready to build it into something else. This means quality barrel and stock. I have a 300 yard range in my backyard and I can shoot out to 750 here if I want so I shoot a lot. This could also be a whitetail rifle. So what caliber/stock would you go with? Ive narrowed it down to 7-08, 260ai, 243ai, NO 6.5 creedmoors. Help me build a rifle.

WRO

WKR
It was asked if it would fit it a SA and I was pointing out not necessarily in all. You seemed adamant that it would so I asked about your experience with the Remington SA. Everything I’ve read and folks I’ve talked to said not to build on a short action, but rather on a medium or long action.

Lots of people have opinions, not a lot of people have real world experience. ;)

My Smith has built several on short actions and is in the process of building me one right now. You could run one on a Remington short action with a longer mag box, that being said, all my experience is with custom rifles.

OP
lyle_destroys
Lets say that Im going with 6.5 creedmoor 26" Proof barrel (May do 6mm cm). Now my rifle is internal mag, does anyone know of a bottom metal kit that I could use to convert to aics mags?

Baron85

WKR
We didn’t get a very good description of your goals other than gold barrel and stock that can shoot out to 750 yds and hunt whitetail. Do you have a build weight in mind?

Why I ask is, you also said high volume. To me a proof barrel and high volume don’t go together unless your really worried about weight. The cost of replacement barrels from high volume will cost more vs a normal barrel for no gain except weight. From your requirements I don’t see weight being an issue.

With that all said I would look into some of the different chassis. Going that route will not require bedding usually and will also get you AICS detachable mags.

OP
lyle_destroys
We didn’t get a very good description of your goals other than gold barrel and stock that can shoot out to 750 yds and hunt whitetail. Do you have a build weight in mind?

Why I ask is, you also said high volume. To me a proof barrel and high volume don’t go together unless your really worried about weight. The cost of replacement barrels from high volume will cost more vs a normal barrel for no gain except weight. From your requirements I don’t see weight being an issue.

With that all said I would look into some of the different chassis. Going that route will not require bedding usually and will also get you AICS detachable mags.
Honestly I would be happier with a 12lb rifle, even more would be ok. I will sit down and shoot 20-50 in an afternoon, but I would still like to take long shots on deer. I wont be hiking up and down mountains with it. So I guess a lightweight carbon barrel isnt the way to go.

I've reloaded for 9 calibers.. doesn't make me an expert nor mean I'm a graybeard.. but I do know that after pulling a lever in the thousands and thousands of times

without a doubt 223 for me has been the best volume shooter across the board... swipe the card at Walmart and pick up 150rounds for 60$ out the door.. and sg ammo delivers to my door loaded up hot 556 spec ammo that shoots within 10% accuracy wise of my hand loads. Barrels stay good for ages.

That said: lapua brass, temp stable powder by the 8lb jug that'll meter easily and long for caliber bulk hornady bullets is the ez button in life. Punch the button.

6.5 creedmoor.

Baron85

WKR
Honestly I would be happier with a 12lb rifle, even more would be ok. I will sit down and shoot 20-50 in an afternoon, but I would still like to take long shots on deer. I wont be hiking up and down mountains with it. So I guess a lightweight carbon barrel isnt the way to go.

Doesn’t sound like you are a good candidate for the proof. A Krieger or bartlein will be cheaper and shoot just as good if not better. ( I have no experience with carbon fiber barrels)

As far as your goals the 6.5 creedmoor really makes the most sense. You can find ammo off the shelf most places that shoot well under MOA and lapua makes brass for loading. Decent barrel life, and plenty of power to plink out to 1000+ and whitetail should be easy money out to 500yds or so.

The chassis/stock is mostly personal preference. I’m not sure what’s available for savages but I have gone through a few different stocks and chassis to find what I like. Every person is going to like something different but all work excellent for someone. I personally like a more traditional style target stock vs the newer pistol grip chassis. I have shot AI, McMillan a5, Sako trg, ruger precision rifle, Boyd’s tacticool, Krg bravo, JAllen and masterpiece arms. My favorite is the Sako TRG and since the Krg bravo is a pretty close replica I put bravos on my other rifles. I don’t like the AI or masterpiece due to the pistol grip but they are nice chassis if that’s your thing. And the JAllen I didn’t like the grip angle, hard on my wrist. The McMillan A5 and tacticool are close seconds to the bravo.

I also second the idea above about a 223 blaster for high volume. I have a tikka varmint in 223 and it is so much fun to shoot and much cheaper than the bigger guns. Also plenty of gun to get you out to 750+ with the heavy pills. Obviously wouldn’t work great for long distance deer hunting but just another option.