What to do? (308)

OP
roosiebull
still have not made a decision, haha... it got worse, still can't run down a seekins to handle, and am toying with a kimber montana. still undecided on a scope too... i'm torn between the shv 3-10X and NXS 2.5-10X. i like the MOAR reticle regardless, but i like the illumination on the SHV how just the center is illuminated, wish the NXS was the same.

anyone know a ballpark weight difference between the factory tikka t3x stock vs the krg bravo? i do think the tikka superlite and krg bravo is the most sensible option for what i'm trying to accomplish, but also like what seekins offers.... and a kimber montana with an NXS on it would also probably be a dandy rifle.

Under 500 yard rifle? That Kimber Montana in 308 would be nice. Liking my Kimber Montana 84L .270 with a Trijicon Credo (illuminated green mil reticle). Not in love with my SHV, but it has non-illuminated MOAR reticle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
still have not made a decision, haha... it got worse, still can't run down a seekins to handle,

Everything about a Tikka is better than the Seekins except about even on barrels. The T3 action and trigger is superior in function.

and am toying with a kimber montana.

If high precision and field shooting at any distance is on the table, the Kimber is very hard to shoot well and recoil is substantial.

anyone know a ballpark weight difference between the factory tikka t3x stock vs the krg bravo?

Factory stock is 28oz. Stopped down Bravo is 48oz. 20oz difference. But that 20oz cost with the Bravo makes the rifle far more shootable in the field.

OP
roosiebull
Everything about a Tikka is better than the Seekins except about even on barrels. The T3 action and trigger is superior in function.

If high precision and field shooting at any distance is on the table, the Kimber is very hard to shoot well and recoil is substantial.

Factory stock is 28oz. Stopped down Bravo is 48oz. 20oz difference. But that 20oz cost with the Bravo makes the rifle far more shootable in the field.
thank you sir, that's the way i was leaning, and think that's the route i'll go.... i like the idea of packing a kimber, but my last one was indeed harder to shoot well unless i was shooting off bags and a bench.

the seekins has just been that wild card because i have always liked what they offered, but have not handled one, and i'm a little hesitant buying sight unseen not knowing how it would actually fit me, and not much for aftermarket options.

the tikka/krg is a practical choice, i know i like tikkas, and i know the bravo will fit me well, and finished weight should be right in that sweet spot... only reason i went away from tikka is their factory stocks don't fit me well, and have more felt recoil apples to apples (for me) vs other similar weight setups

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
thank you sir, that's the way i was leaning, and think that's the route i'll go.... i like the idea of packing a kimber, but my last one was indeed harder to shoot well unless i was shooting off bags and a bench.

A 308 Montana is a handful.

the seekins has just been that wild card because i have always liked what they offered, but have not handled one, and i'm a little hesitant buying sight unseen not knowing how it would actually fit me, and not much for aftermarket options.

As far as R700 pattern actions/rifles go, Seekins is pretty good. The issue is that they all use the 700 pattern trigger which fails more often in bad conditions, and they have bolt bind. For this two reasons- objectively, they are not as a good a choice.

the tikka/krg is a practical choice, i know i like tikkas, and i know the bravo will fit me well, and finished weight should be right in that sweet spot... only reason i went away from tikka is their factory stocks don't fit me well, and have more felt recoil apples to apples (for me) vs other similar weight setups

The T3 lite/SL in the Bravo with a good scope is an eminently shootable field rifle while not being ridiculous in weight.

still have not made a decision, haha... it got worse, still can't run down a seekins to handle, and am toying with a kimber montana. still undecided on a scope too... i'm torn between the shv 3-10X and NXS 2.5-10X. i like the MOAR reticle regardless, but i like the illumination on the SHV how just the center is illuminated, wish the NXS was the same.

anyone know a ballpark weight difference between the factory tikka t3x stock vs the krg bravo? i do think the tikka superlite and krg bravo is the most sensible option for what i'm trying to accomplish, but also like what seekins offers.... and a kimber montana with an NXS on it would also probably be a dandy rifle.
I just picked up a seekins havak ph2 in 6.5 creedmoor. I have an NXS 2.5-10x42 on order for it - 8 month wait.

I have owned almost every factory rifle out there. I am big on 3 manufacturers right now: Christensen, particularly their carbon stuff. I have 2 - a BA tactical in 6.5 PRC and a MPP in 308. Bergara Premiers - these rifles are amazing. I have a 6mm CM in the approach, and now the Seekins Havak PH2. Well worth the additional money over a Tikka IMO and it has an awesome accuracy guarantee. The spiral fluting is super sick. Guys who buy tikkas end up spending way more on them by the time they upgrade the crappy stock and put in a trigger and rebarrel etc. Tikka is the new M700 for those tinkerers. If you don’t want to tinker and just want a shooter right out of the box, get one of the three I just mentioned.

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had Tikkas and Seekins. Actually I’ve had two seekins and they both got sold. The rifle shot fantastic and there was a lot to like about it. In the end, I wanted a shorter barrel and the stock felt short. I still have a tikka. To me, the stock Tikka is pretty boring. The problem is they just work. People bitch about the stocks, but they work fine. I’ve never owned one that didn’t shoot way better than it’s price tag.

OP
roosiebull
Well, found a NXS 2.5-10x here on the classifieds and stopped by the gun shop I like to support this afternoon and placed an order on a tikka, it’s back ordered and I locked myself into that, but I like giving him my money so I will order a krg bravo tonight or tomorrow and wait for the parts to all show up…

No big hurry… luckily

For now, I’ll stock up on ammo and reloading supplies as I find them and wait impatiently, got a decent head start there already

Runar

FNG
My son picked up a super light from sportsman’s, had to order but it only took a couple weeks. Still getting it setup but looks like a great rifle. Unfortunately it’s a 7mm and 160AB is nowhere to be found. You’ll do well with .30 bullets! Interested to hear your opinions after you get it setup

OP
roosiebull
My son picked up a super light from sportsman’s, had to order but it only took a couple weeks. Still getting it setup but looks like a great rifle. Unfortunately it’s a 7mm and 160AB is nowhere to be found. You’ll do well with .30 bullets! Interested to hear your opinions after you get it setup
does he need some brass? i believe i have a good amount of 7rem mag brass around (all once fired) i don't have any use for it, i got rid of that rifle last year, so it's collecting dust.... not sure exact how much brass i saved, but probably 100 pieces anyways

Runar

FNG
Thanks for the offer, I think I’ve got the brass covered as I picked some up a year ago to reload for a friend of his.

OP
roosiebull
well, finally in que on a tikka super lite... was kinda hoping they had a normal lite, so i could chop it down this winter, but i figure i can just rebarrel it when i get serious about that and have a pending e-form on a muffler, but i'll hunt with it as is this year happily.... i have everything i need for it already (krg bravo, arca plate, rings, plenty of ammo, and the little nxs 2.5-10X) so hopefully i can pick it up on my way east for my work week, but if not, it will be ready Thursday on my way back home.... should have everything dialed in by the Aug 1st opener for fall bear, and calling lions this winter.... everything else this year will be archery for me, but i'm looking forward to spending time behind it.....

never before the last year would i ever think i would be excited about a .308, haha... it's a boringly practical cartridge for me.... still boring, but that's not always a bad thing

turley

Lil-Rokslider
never before the last year would i ever think i would be excited about a .308, haha... it's a boringly practical cartridge for me.... still boring, but that's not always a bad thing
The .308 is still a very good and incredibly versatile cartridge and was one I strongly considered with my last purchase. In the end I went with a 7mm-08, the.308's offspring, not because it's superior to the .308 but because it brings back teenage memories.

OP
roosiebull
The .308 is still a very good and incredibly versatile cartridge and was one I strongly considered with my last purchase. In the end I went with a 7mm-08, the.308's offspring, not because it's superior to the .308 but because it brings back teenage memories.
i have had a few 7-08's, it's a great cartridge (killed my first rifle buck with a 7-08) i like all of the .308 offspring, just never had interest in the .308 until recently.... i agree on it being versatile, especially for normal hunting ranges.

OP
roosiebull
again, appreciate all of the feedback, i was pretty set on the seekins PH2, which i'm sure i would have been happy with, but i also knew the tikka was the more practical option with the ability to fit the rifle regardless, that was my hangup with the seekins... without seeing one in the wild, it's a gamble, and potentially a big compromise if the ergos didn't fit me well.

ElPollo

WKR
Roosie,

I don’t intend to burst your bubble. 308 is a great choice. That said theAmerican gun market is stuck in a repeating cycle of ammopocalypses. Making a choice for a caliber based on ammo availability at any single point in that cycle is a flawed strategy in my humble opinion.

We are currently in the upswing to recovery where manufacturers are pumping out common calibers like 308, 223/5.56, 300 win mag, 270 win, 30/06, 6.5 cm, etc. Those cartridges will be widely available for a time, while other less common calibers (25/06, 257 Roberts, 7-08, 338 Fed, 35 Rem, etc) will take longer to recover. Ammo manufacturers are focusing on producing the popular calibers now and are running smaller runs of the less popular calibers. If we are lucky, this upswing will run long enough for supply on all calibers to recover.

But once another downturn happens (read “election”), 308 and other popular calibers will be unobtainium again. Every Tom, Dick, and Harriett will horde that stuff like crazy. Your 308 will sit in the safe for lack of ammo. Or worse, you’ll look at your mountainous stash of 308 ammo and think, I can’t shoot it because I’ll never find any more.

Eventually you’ll say to yourself, “What if I bought a 300 Savage?” That will eat at you a bit because there will be tons of boxes of 300 Savage on the shelf. Finally, you’ll acquiesce to the desire and sell your 308 at a loss. You’ll sink your hard earned cash into an old Savage 99 or Rem 81, or rebarrel your 308 into a 300 Savage. But by the time that’s done, the surplus of 300 Savage will be gone because everyone else saw it too. If you are really sick, you might do this with another 2-3 calibers as the bottom drops out again.

Then if you haven’t already, you’ll sink tons of money into reloading equipment until powder and primer supplies dry up.

Finally after 2-3 ammpocalypses, you’ll be so done with this bullshit that you’ll forget all about guns and take up something like primitive archery made from branches you cut out of your neighbor’s yard under cover of darkness, or weaving baskets using yard clippings twisted into cordage. Whatever it is, you’ll be ready to say that you’ll never have another hobby that involves the word backorder or optics planet again.

Enjoy your romance with the 308 while it lasts. 😁

Roosie,

I don’t intend to burst your bubble. 308 is a great choice. That said theAmerican gun market is stuck in a repeating cycle of ammopocalypses. Making a choice for a caliber based on ammo availability at any single point in that cycle is a flawed strategy in my humble opinion.

We are currently in the upswing to recovery where manufacturers are pumping out common calibers like 308, 223/5.56, 300 win mag, 270 win, 30/06, 6.5 cm, etc. Those cartridges will be widely available for a time, while other less common calibers (25/06, 257 Roberts, 7-08, 338 Fed, 35 Rem, etc) will take longer to recover. Ammo manufacturers are focusing on producing the popular calibers now and are running smaller runs of the less popular calibers. If we are lucky, this upswing will run long enough for supply on all calibers to recover.

But once another downturn happens (read “election”), 308 and other popular calibers will be unobtainium again. Every Tom, Dick, and Harriett will horde that stuff like crazy. Your 308 will sit in the safe for lack of ammo. Or worse, you’ll look at your mountainous stash of 308 ammo and think, I can’t shoot it because I’ll never find any more.

Eventually you’ll say to yourself, “What if I bought a 300 Savage?” That will eat at you a bit because there will be tons of boxes of 300 Savage on the shelf. Finally, you’ll acquiesce to the desire and sell your 308 at a loss. You’ll sink your hard earned cash into an old Savage 99 or Rem 81, or rebarrel your 308 into a 300 Savage. But by the time that’s done, the surplus of 300 Savage will be gone because everyone else saw it too. If you are really sick, you might do this with another 2-3 calibers as the bottom drops out again.

Then if you haven’t already, you’ll sink tons of money into reloading equipment until powder and primer supplies dry up.

Finally after 2-3 ammpocalypses, you’ll be so done with this bullshit that you’ll forget all about guns and take up something like primitive archery made from branches you cut out of your neighbor’s yard under cover of darkness, or weaving baskets using yard clippings twisted into cordage. Whatever it is, you’ll be ready to say that you’ll never have another hobby that involves the word backorder or optics planet again.

Enjoy your romance with the 308 while it lasts. 😁

He already a stick shooter.....

Probably why he likes the .308 skullet, you know, the 6.5 manbun for the older generation.