What to do in or around Big Sky, MT?

I’m going to a wedding in Big Sky at the middle of February and would like to know what else there is to do for the outdoorsman that time of year in the area? I’m up for anything and wanted to see what y’all might know about I don’t. Thanks for any suggestions.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
In Big Sky your only about 50 miles North of West Yellowstone on the Wyoming/Montana border. It’s a nice scenic drive and once you get into West Yellowstone there are some visitor and discovery centers that are fun. Also... watch out for elk and deer on 191. Drive during the day if you can. The road can be nasty or closed through there in Feb. I just drove that route 3 weeks ago heading back home from hunting in Minnesota. Almost hit a really nice bull elk who was nice enough to head for the shoulder and stare me down before heading into the woods. There were also multiple doe and fawn groups on the roads. I drove through at about 1 in the morning in the way there and at about 3 in the morning on the way home. Sketchy lol.

Last edited:
Yellowstone is fairly close by, if you can travel a bit and get in that time of the year. I took my family there is summer and it is truly an American treasure. It should be on everyone's bucket list. Don't know how passable the roads are that time of the year but we stayed a couple days in Gardiner, MT and a couple more in West Yellowstone, MT, both of which are nice little towns at entrances into Yellowstone.

I'd love to live in that area some day.

Yellowstone is fairly close by, if you can travel a bit and get in that time of the year. I took my family there is summer and it is truly an American treasure. It should be on everyone's bucket list. Don't know how passable the roads are that time of the year but we stayed a couple days in Gardiner, MT and a couple more in West Yellowstone, MT, both of which are nice little towns at entrances into Yellowstone.

I'd love to live in that area some day.
Yellowstone will only be available by snowmobile tour by Feb. A good option though if you really want to see it. Also, you're really close to Bozeman, which has tons of outdoor industry related stuff if that's your thing. Sitka HQ, Stone Glacier HQ, The Meateater is based out of here also. Endless snowshoeing/cross country skiing, backcountry big mountain skiing, 2 ski resorts very close by. If you want a blow your mind scenic drive, go to Bozeman, then over the pass to Livingston, then down paradise valley to Gardiner (Yellowstone arch entry is here). That drive is pretty stunning. I'll hopefully be chasing big yellow kitty cats if there's some fresh snow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Drive towards Bozeman and stop at Deer Creek, West side of the road. Hike up, weather permitting and there will be snow, and check out bighorn sheep. You might see quite a few on the road anyway.

Rent snowmobiles in West Yellowstone, wicked fun!

Hope you have a great trip.

deerlick

FNG
Rent a sled a pound some of the best backcountry riding anywhere. Or just trail ride if you have no experience.

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
First, do not be alarmed by all the California license plates you will see, you are in Montana. I second West Yellowstone area, snow coach or snowmobile trip into the park. If you have time, take a trip over to the Crazy Mountains, it is worth it. While there, check out the Natural Bridge south of Big Timber, on the Boulder river. Stop at the Grand for lunch or dinner, you will not regret it. Montana, the last best place!

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Drive up to Bozeangeles, sample the food and breweries, and go to Bridger Bowl. Skip Big Sky--the Big Lie--if you can.

If you're stuck down there, rent a sled and ride Buck Creek. Good trail, lots of play areas, nothing too challenging.

OP
BigCountry344
Yellowstone will only be available by snowmobile tour by Feb. A good option though if you really want to see it. Also, you're really close to Bozeman, which has tons of outdoor industry related stuff if that's your thing. Sitka HQ, Stone Glacier HQ, The Meateater is based out of here also. Endless snowshoeing/cross country skiing, backcountry big mountain skiing, 2 ski resorts very close by. If you want a blow your mind scenic drive, go to Bozeman, then over the pass to Livingston, then down paradise valley to Gardiner (Yellowstone arch entry is here). That drive is pretty stunning. I'll hopefully be chasing big yellow kitty cats if there's some fresh snow.

Thanks for the HQ reminders I will definitely be stopping to pay a visit. I looked into a lion hunt but had no idea how expensive they are, I’ve always wanted to just go and get the experience of chasing a cat.

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
First, do not be alarmed by all the California license plates you will see, you are in Montana. I second West Yellowstone area, snow coach or snowmobile trip into the park. If you have time, take a trip over to the Crazy Mountains, it is worth it. While there, check out the Natural Bridge south of Big Timber, on the Boulder river. Stop at the Grand for lunch or dinner, you will not regret it. Montana, the last best place!

I second all of this! I will add that if you ski Big Sky is awesome but spendy. You can ski at the Bridgers for a lot less. The Crazies are awesome as is West Yellowstone but pretty much everything around here will require a sled or skis or snowshoes at that time of year.

Thanks for the HQ reminders I will definitely be stopping to pay a visit. I looked into a lion hunt but had no idea how expensive they are, I’ve always wanted to just go and get the experience of chasing a cat.
What dates are you going to be free? If we're out cutting tracks you would be welcome to join. My buddy has dogs, we're always looking for an excuse to run one

danarnold

WKR

the drive is killer, we stayed in Gadiner several times many years age and liked it.
sled tour sounds like a nice way to see the park w/o all the asians stepping on your toes or bumping your kids off the walkways

mtnkid85

WKR
Do you ski? Lots of great BC touring opportunities all over. Beehive basin is ~15min from Bigsky ski resort.
Or drive back down the canyon and head into any of the multiple trail heads off the highway, lots of pretty sight to see.
Buy a wolf tag and go call for them.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
If your not into skiing - Wolf hunting is open. Think they are around $50 -$100 for a nonresident. Not very good odds of getting one, plus you’ll need a Monday to check it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
Like others have said W Yellowstone is only about an hour south of there. The old snow bus tours in winter are something I've always wanted to do but they book up early. There are some good places to eat in Big Sky. Cheap and casual- ScissorBills right by the ski lodge hotels, great steak down on the highway -Bucks T-4, BBQ just south of Bucks- Riverhouse Grill. Haven't been to the Beehive brewery but hear it's good.
Bozeman is busy, lots of traffic but good brews and eats. Mystery Ranch factory is there in addition to the other places mentioned above.

MTtrout

WKR
A lot of great suggestions already mentioned above. I will add that if you're into cross country skiing or snowshoeing, there's a lot of solitude to be had within a short drive from Big Sky. The drive up to Bozeman then over to Ennis and then down and back over to West Yellowstone is highly worth it. Lots of wintering big game throughout that route and beautiful scenery. There still can be some fishing to be had in a 'few' areas, but that is highly dependent on the severity of the winter.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
snowshoeing, There is also an ice rink in big sky. OnX, Mystery Ranch, Black Gold Sights, Butler Creek, and Blackhawk are also in the Gallatin Valley. Ice Climbing if you are into it. Cross Country Skiing. Lots of stuff to do. If you get bored it's because you didn't try very hard to be entertained.