What to do when you're in a new state...

We recently relocated to the great state of Colorado. After spending my entire hunting life in one state i am ready to tackle the opportunities CO provides. What do you recommend as some key steps for making this transition as quickly and effectively and successfully as possible? I will primarily be bowhunting for elk and deer.

Last edited:

a3dhunter

WKR
Pick up a copy of the regulations and start reading.
Identify areas you would like to hunt through google earth and pictures of terrain you would like to spend time in.
Learn the laws, learn what units are OTC (over the counter) units for elk, and then start checking the preference points required to draw the deer units you are interested in.
Once an area is identified that you will be able to draw a deer tag with zero points, or hunt OTC then take a trip to scout the unit.
Drive the roads and identify camping spots and trailheads.
Then start hiking into the woods to scout come spring time. Focus on learning the area, the terrain, and giving yourself multiple areas to access during hunting season.
Develop an A, B, and C plan on where to hunt.
As you go along, search for answers and ask direct question as they arise.

Hardstalk

WKR
When I go different places fishing and or hunting. Even though I wont drink much I like to head to the local bars and slowly work into the conversations fishing or hunting. Thats where I find alot of good local advice. If your a resident and know general areas people usually wont shin you like a outsider.

When I go different places fishing and or hunting. Even though I wont drink much I like to head to the local bars and slowly work into the conversations fishing or hunting. Thats where I find alot of good local advice. If your a resident and know general areas people usually wont shin you like a outsider.

I could see that situation getting risky.... haha!

Mike