What to do with Elk in WY with 9PP

wytx

WKR
You have a chance for a great hunt with those PP, do not throw that away by sharing for a general tag. Use those PP and then go the general route in the future.

Laramie

WKR
9 preference points doesn't get you into some of the areas it used to even a few years ago. I know of several guys over the last couple of years that ate tag soup after hunting LQ areas. Just drawing an LQ tag won't guarantee you a better experience.

If you are a veteran elk hunter, by all means you should strongly consider finding the right LQ area. If you aren't, splitting points with a veteran elk hunter in a general area may very well provide you with a better experience.

No shame in a guided hunt either if that's the route you feel is best.

Riplip

WKR
9 preference points doesn't get you into some of the areas it used to even a few years ago. I know of several guys over the last couple of years that ate tag soup after hunting LQ areas. Just drawing an LQ tag won't guarantee you a better experience.

If you are a veteran elk hunter, by all means you should strongly consider finding the right LQ area. If you aren't, splitting points with a veteran elk hunter in a general area may very well provide you with a better experience.

No shame in a guided hunt either if that's the route you feel is best.

This is a good point and I think holds true in a lot of States, while there are certainly some premier units out there with incredible bull to cow ratios and success rates, but hunting is hunting and it is still takes a lot of work to get to know a new area especially coming from another State. I think people sometimes get caught up in the point game a bit too much, I know I certainly have ( 7 elk points in WY, which kind of no mans land).

Back to the OP, 9 points gives you some options, I would either go with one of the Type 9 tags and have at it. I also agree that there are some great outfitters out there, and would seriously consider just for the knowledge and/or access to private land. (sent you a PM).

Should be fun either way, good luck.

Overdrive

WKR
I'm sitting at 10 PP for Wyoming and know exactly where I'm going, I have friends that outfit in Area 7, I guide for them and once I put in and draw I'll gladly pay to hunt on their leased land. There is no way to explain how different the hunting is, in a Limited unit with Private land access compared to any Public land, Well worth the money spent to use an Outfitter after waiting years to get a good elk tag.