What to do with Elk in WY with 9PP

deadi

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a bit late for planning but.
I have 9 PP for elk in WY and would appreciate thoughts on a specific unit. I am a NR but will have time to scout.
Would prefer your thoughts through a PM.
Thanks in advance.

Ralphie

WKR
Well, after last year I now have 0 PPs in Wyoming.
We could average and have 4.5... just a thought :)
If this is an offer to partner up with you on the hunt along with averaging points then it could be a better deal than you are probably thinking. Especially if you have 9 points and really don’t know what unit to apply for.

satchamo

WKR
Man, hindsight is 20/20 but you could have had like 3-4 kick ass hunts using those points for gen tags

HOT ROD

WKR
cnelk is a elk killer if I was a nonresident looking to team up with a proven elk hunter he would be one of many to hunt with....JMO

bz_711

WKR
I agree - splitting 9 points with cnelk may be the best offer I have seen for an elk hunt!
These guys are telling the truth.

...and if you guys need more help packing my buddy and I have 2PP each (both have taken archery elk)...that would make our average at 3.25 PP...still enough to guarantee general tag...and I'll buy pizza in town a couple times:)

"Say When"

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
You could do much better than a general tag with 9 points. There is plenty of info out there even if you just use the WY game and fish site. I'm not saying the general tag is not good. I killed a 320 bull this year with one, but the overall hunt is not going to compare to what you could draw LE with 9 points. I've had multiple WY LE tags and multiple general tags. You've waited this long don't get suckered into sharing your points. Now if you had 5 or maybe 6 it might be a different story.

You could draw the unit from the pic below. No, not going to giver you a #. The bulls are not really bigger than what I'd expect to be able to find with a general tag, BUT the overall hunt and the opportunity is far greater. These two were killed in a couple days of hunting, where on a general hunt you may have to grind for a long time in order to find the same quality of bulls.

That really is the big difference in most of WY. The LE tags give you a "better" hunt, but if you have the time and energy to grind you can find comparable bulls in gen units. Especially if you're ok with bears.

Attachments

• wyelk3.jpg
    wyelk3.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 119
a. you are probably never getting to max points so 9 is not a bad level to try to draw a tag.
b. If you go on the WY fish and game website and click 2020 draw odds you will see all the units that 9 will
get you.

In my opinion it is not worth chasing the point creep anymore. Save your money and book an outfitted hunt
or Ranch hunt if you want to spend $$.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
a. you are probably never getting to max points so 9 is not a bad level to try to draw a tag.
b. If you go on the WY fish and game website and click 2020 draw odds you will see all the units that 9 will
get you.

In my opinion it is not worth chasing the point creep anymore. Save your money and book an outfitted hunt
or Ranch hunt if you want to spend $$.
a and b yes! As well as the point about chasing points

But the rest of that NOOOOOO! You have the points to go on a great WY elk hunt. Out of almost every state I can think of WY is the state where you should not even consider a guided/outfitted hunt unless you are someone who just wants to sit on your couch 11 1/2 months a year. The opportunity you have in front of you is good, Look at the stats, load up your truck and have a great experience.

Don't be some douchey FU#$ that just want to get led to a bull after breakfast!

I did not say a high fenced hunt. Every outfitted hunt I have been on I have hiked 8-10 miles / day.
The concept that a DIY hunt is more honorable, or you always get out of a truck and shoot is incorrect. I pay the outfitter to do the things I would
rather not do like set up a camp, chop firewood etc. I don't pay him to carry my pack or shoot the elk.
I have still busted my ass for 25 + yrs on outfitted hunts.

If I lived in WY or MT I would have the time/desire to go out and spend weeks on DIY. Right now I
have 1 -2 weeks maybe to hunt every year. An outfitter makes more efficient use of my time off.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider

I accidentally hit "like" when reading that. Did not mean to. Its a wildly inaccurate assumption for most guided hunts. Either you havent ever been on one, or you've been on REALLY good and expensive ones. Many guided hunts are still tough, and many are still unsuccessful. There are plenty of reasons people use guides, and none of them make that person a "doughy FU#$".

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

a and b yes! As well as the point about chasing points

But the rest of that NOOOOOO! You have the points to go on a great WY elk hunt. Out of almost every state I can think of WY is the state where you should not even consider a guided/outfitted hunt unless you are someone who just wants to sit on your couch 11 1/2 months a year. The opportunity you have in front of you is good, Look at the stats, load up your truck and have a great experience.

This is a horrible and inaccurate post. A public land guided hunt will in no way mean a lazy hunt. A ranch hunt over fields, sure. Also, you waited 9 years for this. A guide is without a doubt your best way to a great hunt with a real chance at a trophy bull.

Two70win

FNG
I cashed in my points (1 shy of max) in 2019. My original intention was to do a guided hunt and was working with an outfitter. Over time, I decided that the guided hunt wasn't for me and I downgraded to a drop camp with the same outfitter. He provided a camp and good advice for a smaller fee. I saw some very nice bulls and tagged out on a decent bull. Do whatever is comfortable for you and go hunt. I am glad to be rid of those points and look forward to hunting the units that don't require as many points - more often. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!