What to do with old powder?

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a variety of old powders that were stored in a shed. They’re 10 years or so old. What’s the best thing to do with them???…pour it in the middle of my burn pile, lay down a 30’ fuse, and toss a match?

OXN939

WKR
I have a variety of old powders that were stored in a shed. They’re 10 years or so old. What’s the best thing to do with them???…pour it in the middle of my burn pile, lay down a 30’ fuse, and toss a match?

What kinda temps did they see? Are they all still sealed? Basically, getting hot can cause powder to degrade, but other than that sealed powder is generally quite stable. If they are powders you use and are still sealed from the factory, I'd load a few rounds up and see what your numbers are.

OP
C

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
Anywhere from low teens to high 90’s. I’m guessing a sweet fire is in order. That’s way cooler than green grass

brn2hnt

WKR
If they’re smokeless powders you’ll likely be pretty disappointed with the fire.

At least I was. Allegedly.

Who knew that smokeless powder just melts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I found some old powder that was from the 70's when my father passed away. It was in heavy cardboard containers and there was no way I was going to save it. I took it out and put a 2inch wide line down the bottom of an irrigation ditch and lit it. Burned more or less completely.

OP
C

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
This is one of those hold my beer moments, but what’s the flashpoint of smokeless powders? What if I putting it in a welding rod oven to dry it out?

Rob5589

WKR
With the shortages right now, I'd make 100% sure the powder is no good before squandering it.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
With the shortages right now, I'd make 100% sure the powder is no good before squandering it.

This. Unless it shows signs of degradation, load it up and at least make a range session out of it.

OXN939

WKR

This. At very least give them the sniff test, and if they don't smell sour, they're probably okay.

I got a can of Varget from 2011 last year in trade, and accuracy and SD are identical to new production stuff. Seems to average about 25 FPS slower, but that's the only difference I can tell.

Zappaman

WKR
I think Alliant (who bought Hercules) still has some 130 yr old powder stored in water (yes... they were making a point back in about 1910 or so). From what I read back about ten years ago, they silll take some out, dry it, and shoot it. Supposedly it still burns as good as it did when it was made in 1910 (dates are approx here... but still!)