WHAT TO DO?

My Satori has two strings (for medium and short limbs) and the shorter one is considerably thicker with no twists in it. Not sure how to add string silencers to it. Was gonna put some beaver on it but that seems impossible. Thoughts?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is the shorter string a dacron string? Even endless loop strings should have some twists, but dacron usually not that much. I would get a string made for it that lets you do what you want as far as silencers go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Blackcow

WKR
I'd just have one made. They're pretty cheap. If you're happy with your brace height and tune now, measure that string and use that string length.

LostArra

WKR
At the risk of sounding like a smarta**, if you are getting into recurve archery it would be beneficial to learn to make a flemish string. It's pretty simple once you see it done and it sure comes in handy when you need a string on short notice or a backup to take on a hunt.

Tartan

WKR
My Satori has two strings (for medium and short limbs) and the shorter one is considerably thicker with no twists in it. Not sure how to add string silencers to it. Was gonna put some beaver on it but that seems impossible. Thoughts?

Doesn't have any twist in it as it came out of the package, or doesn't have any twist to get the brace height you need?

hopefully the first one. I have never heard of a string not having any twists. Is it one of the materials that has a heat activated bonding agent to stick it together? (angel majesty?) Can you pull the strands apart?

As a generality, endless loop strings require less twist than flemish. But you're still looking at 1 rotation every 3 inches at a minimum. Put it on the bow and start twisting until you get into the correct range for brace height.

If its the second one, I would just get a different string, or as suggested try making your own.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't know that I've ever bought a string for any of my bows. I've got a gazillion dollars worth of string material and serving material though! I like shooting stuff with strings I've twisted up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
A correct
Doesn't have any twist in it as it came out of the package, or doesn't have any twist to get the brace height you need?

hopefully the first one. I have never heard of a string not having any twists. Is it one of the materials that has a heat activated bonding agent to stick it together? (angel majesty?) Can you pull the strands apart?

As a generality, endless loop strings require less twist than flemish. But you're still looking at 1 rotation every 3 inches at a minimum. Put it on the bow and start twisting until you get into the correct range for brace height.

If its the second one, I would just get a different string, or as suggested try making your own.

Endless loop strings don't need to have twists if they are the correct length to start with, at least not with stick bows, not sure about compounds.

oldgoat

WKR
I'd just get another one made, generally about $20 to your door, and I totally agree with learning to make your own, really easy if you start with a good jig and a good training video. Rmsgear makes great strings, and Chad from Champion Custom Bowstrings has a great video of him and Rod Jenkins making strings and it had designs for the string jig. I've already easily paid for materials and the video and I've only been doing it for less than 2 years I think.

Tartan

WKR
A correct Endless loop strings don't need to have twists if they are the correct length to start with, at least not with stick bows, not sure about compounds.

Agreed that a properly built endless doesn't need twists to hold together.

But I've never seen anybody run one without some twist and have never heard anybody recommend running it that way. Unless you absolutely nailed the length for your optimal brace height, you're out of luck. That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with it, and maybe I'm missing other benefits of running it that way.

It may be just me, but I'm obsessive about getting a perfect tune and also like to mess with different set ups. Not being able to micro tune with brace height would drive me crazy. I have a long draw and can't cut arrows any shorter than they come. Also shooting off the shelf, so no benefits of a plunger. Minor adjustments to brace height can get me from a good tune to a great tune.

Before I started building my own I had only used endless loop. I've since made jigs and have built both endless loop and flemish. I've come to prefer the flemish. I can actually build them faster and I always seemed to have problems getting the serving just right on an endless loop. The problems of a perfectionist...

For the beginner just starting, that may be too much. Get a string made out of a material that is compatible with your bow. Get the brace height within manufacturer specs and go shoot. Learn some good form, this fine level of detail can wait until you shoot with consistency.

PatrickW

FNG
A Flemish twist won't work without twist. It's the opposite twist In the loops and body of the string that holds it together.

If you haven't used the string, other than to string it once or twice, I'd say string it, wax it, and leave it strung for a while. Hang it by the string and pull a few times every little while.

Even the newer string materials will stretch a little when you first use them. You can then twist it to get the right brace height..