What to do

fwafwow

WKR
OP - any concern about where to cut out the partially eaten food? I had second thoughts about eating my kids' leftover chicken parm recently (not sure if it was my daughter's, or one of her friends'), so I'd think a lot about the bear saliva and whether his/her dirty claws had been up in my elk meat.

OP
B

b1c2r3r4

FNG
Classified Approved
I wouldn’t think a bear would go to each quarter and sample them. I would leave the quarter or two that was eaten on if the bear isn’t around. It sounds like the law is on the bears side so if there is a bear there I will have to leave the meat.

blfelts

FNG
If the bear isn’t at the site, recover the meat and get the heck outta there. Be bear aware though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
I’ve taken 17 elk, never had a bear issue. Had one instance where three of us each filled cow tags, packed out two and left the third for tomorrow. A big pack of coyotes stripped it down to bone that night.

OP
B

b1c2r3r4

FNG
Classified Approved
Oh I bet somebody down here has some chained up and you can “hunt” them for a big fee.

bstronger

FNG
What they say where I'm from... Shoot, shovel, and shut up. Best of luck this season and hopefully it doesn't have to come to that.

I have never hunted around grizzlies, so a black bear I would run off and trim the eaten quarters if needed.

if I was hunting around grizz, I would take precaution and figure out how to get the meat out of reach from bears, seems pretty straight forward in grizz country.

if something happened and I wasn't able to, knowing what I know (or what I don't know) I would try to run the bear off, I want the meat, and I would do whatever I could to recover it even if it wasn't the most common sense thing to do.

I feel like if I was hunting around them, I would take the steps to avoid that situation, and come in for the second load adequately armed.

a little foresight should keep you out of that situation, it's a bad time to get lazy when you have meat on the ground.... don't leave until it's out of reach of the local wildlife that may claim it or eat it.

we are lucky here in that regard, you can leave meat on the ground without issue (always get it hung for cooling anyways) but I have never had any type of issue or known anyone who has with animals being eaten.

educate yourself about the areas you hunt, take the necessary steps and don't have those issues is the best course of action.