What to do?

I’m headed to the brooks range for a 15 day middle of September hunt for moose.
I’m stuck on a what sleeping pad and bag. I’d like to buy a Kifaru or Nemo based on reviews. however realistically I may use this bag every 5 years. I dream of deep country Idaho hunt and or Wyoming back country but let’s be real I live in the Deep South. I don’t do a lot of backpacking and camping and when I do I weigh out sleeping naked vs the bug bites.
So my question is you drop all this money on a big hunt where we will be spike camping using horses I don’t want to tap out beaucae I’m so cold I quit it. Outfitter said plan for worst case 0 degrees and 40 best case.
I’m fine buying a nice pad which I have no clue witch one. But can I get away with using like a black Ovis 0 degree bag and save $300.00
As for what I’m considering
Pads
Nemo flyer pad $139
Big angus q core $159
See to summit comfort plus $199.00

Bags
Big Agnes 0 degree $209
Black ovis 0 degrees $189
Vs
Nemo $549.00
Kufari $500.00

Thanks for any in site

mlgc20

WKR
I think the sleeping bag is a no brainer. Spend the money and get a quality bag. You won’t regret it. IMO, the sleeping bag and sleeping pad are two pieces of gear that can really make a difference in the quality of your trip.

For the sleeping pad, the only one on your list I would consider taking to 0 degrees is the S2S Comfort Plus. I love my Q-Core and use it more than any other pad. But, for 0 degrees, I want at least an R-value of 4. I would recommend the Thermarest Xtherm. It costs a little more than the S2S, but much lighter and much warmer.

Sounds like a fantastic hunt. Best of luck.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t risk a lifetime hunt with shitty equipment. Buy the right stuff for the conditions necessary and, if buying quality, it holds its value well in most cases. If you are really not going to get use of it after this hunt you can almost certainly sell it on here and recoup most of your money. Is an extra couple hundred dollar investment good insurance for an AK moose hunt... I sure think so.

HuntnPack

WKR
My Current Sleep system:
NEMO Men's Riff 15 Degree Sleeping Bag
Exped SynMat UL Winter LW Sleeping Pad
Therm-A-Rest Air Head Down Pillow
Seek Outside:
Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet
Matty McMat Face - Ground Pad

Deadfall

WKR
A good roomy foot box will also make a big difference. Cheap bags are warm. They not very comfortable.

Buy the best you can get for your trip then sell the stuff once you return. Quality gear will bring great money on a sale and you can repurchase again in 5yrs for the next trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For something that will see intermittent us over time I would only consider down. None of the synthetic insulations hold loft over time as well. Plus, there are no synthetics that can compete with 800 or higher fill power down in the warmth for weight category.

A cheap, warm synthetic bag will work fine for a single use if you don't have to worry about weight.

If you buy a good down bag, like Western Mountaineering Kodiak you could sell it afterwards and be out less than the cost of the Black Orvis bag.

You could also get a 10 or 15 degree bag and bring a bag liner for a more flexible system. Say a Western Mountaineering Apache and a Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme bag liner.

If money is an issue and $500 is your upper limit, look at Rab down bags.

Rokwiia

WKR
When buying a sleeping bag, remember that the temperature rating of the bag assumes you have a pad/mat commensurate with that temperature rating. So, if your sleeping bag is rated to 0F but your pad is only rated to 32F, you will cold at 0F.