What to do?

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. I want a LR mountain rifle. I like the CA Ridgline but just don't want to gamble on the accuracy. I also am not sure I want that stock or trigger. I have a Rem 700 7 RM I could use but will keep as a 7RM due to sentimental value of the particular weapon. If I build off a custom I will likely go 300 WM. I like the carbon wrapped barrels with a brake. I like the Manners MCS-T. I like what I read about Trigger Tech triggers.
1. Would you just build off of the Remington?
2. Which action would you use if going custom (not interested in titanium for fear of galling)?
3. Would you hust but the CA Ridgeline and be done with it?

Thanks

OP
S

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
1k in Kansas. Not sure on the mountain. Depends on situation. From where ai hunted last I can't imagine more than 700.

Gualing is not a issue that ive ran into with the people making titanium actions nowadays. I have a lone peak ti actiin and will be ordering another . My hunting partner has 2 and they are sweet actions imo . Brian at lone peak has been very good to deal with as well . All im saying is dont be afraid of the ti actions for mountian hunting its a good place to start on a build .

gbflyer

WKR
Borden Accuracy. By the time a smith gets done truing a Remington, the cost is almost a wash.

I built a custom off a PTG blueprinted R700 and that choice is my biggest regret on that build. It works fine but it's just not smooth like a $3000 rifle should be. I think the PTG bolts are bigger than factory and it seems to bind a lot easier if you're not working the action straight forward or back. Doing it again I'd pony up for a Bighorn or Defiant. The new Curtis Custom actions appear to have a good thing going as well.

In my opinion it's pretty cool to have a rifle built off a personal sentimental action. Evolving from the past into something that still serves you well now, as once you go custom that weapon will likely not be used very much, if at all.

I wouldn't worry about galling with the Ti action either, built a few of the LPA and they are solid and very very nice.

You can get into a semi custom Remington/steel barreled 8 lb rifle for about $3k that'll come with a 1/2MOA guarantee. Or you can go titanium/carbon and spend about $4k and have a 7 lb rifle with the same accuracy.... Hard to beat a 300 Win mag 9-10 lbs scoped up/loaded for consistently killing animals at 800+ yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I'm starting to think I may build off of what I have and start collecting components for a fresh build.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'd keep the 7 mag, as is. Go buy you a Model Seven or some other smaller, lighter rifle in 308 or 7-08. If it's out of range of that, just get closer. Lol

OP
S

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
How much experience do you have at shooting long range?

Not as much as I like. I'm still learning. I have capable rifles and access to a range within 20 minutes of the house. My problem is time. Getting more than a couples hours out there is tough.

connorwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
My ridgeline has produced sub .4 groups at 100yds and another that I have shot is sub .5 with the same load. Took a few loads, but .5 is very doable in these guns. (They are both .300wm)

dotman

WKR
Hey guys. I want a LR mountain rifle. I like the CA Ridgline but just don't want to gamble on the accuracy. I also am not sure I want that stock or trigger. I have a Rem 700 7 RM I could use but will keep as a 7RM due to sentimental value of the particular weapon. If I build off a custom I will likely go 300 WM. I like the carbon wrapped barrels with a brake. I like the Manners MCS-T. I like what I read about Trigger Tech triggers.
1. Would you just build off of the Remington?
2. Which action would you use if going custom (not interested in titanium for fear of galling)?
3. Would you hust but the CA Ridgeline and be done with it?

Thanks

The CA has the trigger tech in it.