What to eat while truck camping

Curious what everyone likes to eat while hunting 4-6 nights camping near the truck. I have had issues with Mt.House causing constipation like dont go for days issues. Make fun but any help is appreciated. I have tried a few different meal brands, I assume elevation is part of it. And salty preservatives is the other.

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt out of a camp. I'm usually there 3 to 5 days. I have a generator for power, but have to bring in water/beverages, and I do have access to an Ice Chest to keep stuff cold. If you have that option, you can incorporate drinkable smoothies, & Yogurt, string cheese, lunchmeat, Thin Rounds (bread) or tortillas. A store here, HEB, has pint containers of potato salad and BBW beans, that you can re-seal.

44pTLE2.jpg

I particularly like stuff I do not have to prepare, just grab and scarf!
Foil packs of tuna, food bars, crackers, fig bars, hard candy, pretzels.
I make my own trail mix with either dried cranberries or raisins mixed with cashews, pistachios, almonds & pecans.

Ya!

GWB

Truck camping? I'm eating steak, burger, everything I eat at my office each day. A good cooler will keep ice for a week.

And it's likely dehydration and/or underrehydrating the meals that's causing your constipation. Mountain House isn't terribly high in salt. Three servings a day is right at the recommended daily allowance.

Last edited:

Razz

FNG
Nestled between the Tetons & the Big Holes
Pre-make meals such as chicken noodle soup, spaghetti, stir fry, etc. and freeze them in vacuum bags. Boil them at camp to warm them up and you have a quick easy meal.
Adding beef stew to the list. Also have a small grill that connects to my propane system, will grill a steak if I am in camping before the hunt starts.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Curious what everyone likes to eat while hunting 4-6 nights camping near the truck.
For only 4-6 nights I generally don't get too crazy, but for extended trips I've grilled up steaks, chicken, burgers, brats, and reheated previously cooked ribs. Also bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, breakfast burrito's, toast, french toast, pancakes, etc on the griddle. Already prepared soups, chili, fried chicken, spaghetti, chips and salsa, guacamole, etc, etc, whatever you can think of. I generally make lunch my big meal because I don't get back to camp until just about bedtime at night.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I like instant potatoes that you just add water to. Then I throw a can of tuna or sardines in. Pretty filling not the best flavor.

Werty

WKR
Depending on weather, I make pasta salad, macaroni salad, pot luck style dishes that don't taste bad cold. I'll also cook up polish sausage and bacon to put on sandwiches.

Fatcamp

WKR
Wraps and sandwiches with lots of vegetables. PB&J.

Oatmeal.

Bring a cooked roast or pork loin to cut up and add to soup, pasta, MH.

I really like simple. My wife needs more variety. No matter what having a plan to keep up with water intake is key. And coffee. Life sucks without coffee.

TX_Diver

WKR
If I'm truck camping I eat well but do all the prep/cooking at home so I'm just re-heating stuff.

Pasta w/ meat sauce, chicken and rice or potatoes, pulled pork, sausages, steak or pork chops, burgers, etc. Essentially anything you'd eat at home as leftovers makes for great truck camping food. All those are super easy to cook at home, put into quart ziploc bags, then dump into a pan at camp and heat up. Sometimes I'll bring a bag of the pre-mix salad too. For 6 nights I'd probably bring 2 each of 3 different items or even 3 each of 2 different items. I don't worry to much about variety as long as I'm eating a full meal. Throw a loaf of bread in and it's easy to add toast on the side (throw it in a pan w/ butter after you cook your main course).

I try to minimize raw meat in camp just so I don't have to deal with as much cleaning and surface contamination. Eggs are about the only real raw item I bring. Camping is my once/year use of pre-cooked bacon.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I second the vacuum sealing suggestion. I vacuum seal breakfast burritos and freeze them. If pre-made burritos stop you up, make your own and freeze them. Heat them up by boiling the bag.

I cook on a small one-burner propane grill from Coleman. I like to have a steak once per trip and, the rest of the time, I will make burgers, brats, or hot dogs.

For side dishes, I make up vacuum bags at home. Nuke your favorite steampak of vegetables. Bag them (don’t seal yet) and freeze them overnight. Then vacuum seal the frozen veggies. Boil them in water to reheat.

Mosby

WKR
If I am in bear country I don't cook high scent things like bacon, steaks, hamburgers etc., on a grill. I do bring a coffee pot for car camping and will have things to make sandwiches. Mostly reheating food that I made at home.

If bears aren't an issue, then I bring a portable grill and stove and cook things like eggs and bacon, burgers etc.

Last edited:
Steak, brawts, eggs(egg beaters is easier to travel with) and bacon. Tortillas. Sides and potatoes, bell peppers and avocado and cheese.

I use Mr Buddy flex system. Heater is good to 9k ft and stove works well.

Truck camping? I'm eating steak, burger, everything I eat at my office each day. A good cooler will keep ice for a week.

And it's likely dehydration and/or underrehydrating the meals that's causing your constipation. Mountain House isn't terribly high in salt. Three servings a day is right at the recommended daily allowance.
Yeah I’ll typically bring along steak, hamburgers, brats, tacos, etc. Bonus points if they can be premade and reheated.

I’m looking for something that doesn’t involve a lot of prep. If I’m just out camping I don’t mind but if I’m hunting I don’t want to be making a 3 course meal - takes up too much time. Throw a couple brats or burgers on the grill and I’m gone

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
i wont do dishes when I'm hunting. So anything that won't make dishes. Canned foods, food I brought from home, leftover pizza, lasagna, mix in some fresh fruit and vegetables, big ass sandwiches

Fatcamp

WKR
Steak, brawts, eggs(egg beaters is easier to travel with) and bacon. Tortillas. Sides and potatoes, bell peppers and avocado and cheese.

I use Mr Buddy flex system. Heater is good to 9k ft and stove works well.

i wont do dishes when I'm hunting. So anything that won't make dishes. Canned foods, food I brought from home, leftover pizza, lasagna, mix in some fresh fruit and vegetables, big ass sandwiches

Yup. Dishes and raw meat are both no goes for me. The little bit of stuff we dirty we clean with unscented baby wipes and a quick rinse.