What to expect in Nebraska Mid November

I'm going on my first Nebraska (Sand Hills area) mule deer hunt this November (rifle on private land) and was wondering what to expect weather-wise. More specifically what type of outer clothing to bring/buy. Most of my hunting is Michigan whitetail from Oct-December so Im sure I have enough to keep me warm but was thinking this would be a good time to expand my hunting wardrobe. I have a few FL base layers and I just received a FL Solitude jacket and bibs but the bibs seem too loud.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I live in the Sandhills of Nebraska and the weather is very fickle it could be anywhere from 80 to 20 degrees I know that doesn't help much, the point is be prepared for extremes. Good luck!

Couple years ago I was sitting on a hill at daylight and the wind was blowing 30 MPH and it was 5 degrees. People were walking everywhere blowing the deer off the public land in the first 10 minutes of daylight....

TSAMP

WKR
I was there archery hunting first week of sept this year. Saturday it was 98. Sunday night dropped to 28 and it snowed 6 inches. So yeah I slept in my truck. Bring the kitchen sink.

Plan for lows in the 20's highs in the 40's/50's for an average. Check the forecast before you leave, in case there is a storm blowing through. Handwarmers are your friend and cheap!

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
Im not sure how you are planning on hunting, but private rifle sounds like maybe more stationary/still hunting or maybe even stand hunting? If that is the case, bring what you would wear stand hunting up there. Layering is key, and be prepared for wind...

jrm02

FNG
I'm going on my first Nebraska (Sand Hills area) mule deer hunt this November (rifle on private land) and was wondering what to expect weather-wise. More specifically what type of outer clothing to bring/buy. Most of my hunting is Michigan whitetail from Oct-December so Im sure I have enough to keep me warm but was thinking this would be a good time to expand my hunting wardrobe. I have a few FL base layers and I just received a FL Solitude jacket and bibs but the bibs seem too loud.
How big is the property you're hunting? Is this a guided or DIY hunt? Are you driving roads and spotting from the truck and then making the stalk, or are you hiking miles and glassing for hours? Layers will be key, but depending on the style of hunt, the number/type of layers will be different.

OP
W
The property is pretty big (>20,000 acres) at least for Michiganders that's big. Its a do it your self hunt (friend of a friend hook up deal). Planning on hiking and glassing, but am told we can glass from the truck if need be.

jrm02

FNG
The property is pretty big (>20,000 acres) at least for Michiganders that's big. Its a do it your self hunt (friend of a friend hook up deal). Planning on hiking and glassing, but am told we can glass from the truck if need be.
Everyone is different, but since you're from Michigan, I'm going to assume you can handle the cold just fine. What might be new to you is the wind; it'll likely be windy during most of your hunt, and that wind will take it out of you if you're not prepared, especially if it's cold and windy.

If it was me, I would start with a merino base (top and bottom), uninsulated pants, fleece quarter/full zip, insulating vest, and windproof jacket. If I was hiking to a glassing spot, the jacket/vest would likely be in my pack, and I'd layer as necessary when I got to my spot.

Since you'll have the truck, and have a better idea of the forecast before you leave, you can adjust as necessary. It's possible a fleece lined/wind proof pant would be necessary if it was really really cold (single digit highs are not common, but possible), or probably more likely, you would just need a windproof vest instead of the insulating vest/windproof jacket combo.

Not sure if that helps, but as others have pointed out, the weather during rifle season in Nebraska can be all over the place.

Honestly, whatever you have for whitetail will probably work for this hunt. If you're looking to spend cash, I'd consider your optics first in case they're in need of an upgrade (binos/rifle scope). Also, make sure you're in decent shape to do some hiking, and that your boots (I'd recommend uninsulated) are broken in. And lastly, have fun, and enjoy the sandhills, it's gorgeous country!

mgacf

FNG
I live in the Sandhills of Nebraska and the weather is very fickle it could be anywhere from 80 to 20 degrees I know that doesn't help much, the point is be prepared for extremes. Good luck!

That explains it quite well. Just check the weather the week before and that will help narrow things up. Most of the time it will be 20-50 degrees that time of year(I hunt there every November). Nothing worse than being cold so pack plenty!

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
You can't ever know what to expect. I used to hunt the sandhills every year and the only thing that was consistent was it was almost always windy. Other than that it might be in the 80s or it may be below zero and snowing sideways.

I can say though that hiking and glassing is much more rewarding than driving around. We were the only people on this ranch that actually put boots on the ground and we always saw a lot more wildlife. The unfortunate part was inevitably someone on an ATV/UTV would ruin a hike for us by coming up on us, and then driving through where we were headed.

Enjoy the sandhills. My family hunted a ranch there for 20 some years and it was some of the best times of my life.