What to expect in Wy Region D

My dad and I put in for a Region D deer tag with 2 points we should draw. We've never hunted WY before and we settled on this unit because we've both drove through the area south of Casper a few times and we're trying to get doe antelope tags in the same area. We're planning to hunt Units 66 & 70, I've been scouting online with OnX and I plan to make a trip out there once we draw the tags. Any insight would be appreciated, mainly wondering if we're wasting our time and points going with this unit.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
I have worked on some the the wind farms out there and there are some smacker bucks in the checker board of private in unit 70. But it's pretty hard to get access to them. The north part of 70 I have seen some good deer. I would strongly recommend scouting as that season is only 6 days long and you want to be hunting that six days not figuring out logistics for 3 of them. Not sure where you're from but coming out and looking the country over would do you a lot of good.

Dcrafton

WKR
My dad and I put in for a Region D deer tag with 2 points we should draw. We've never hunted WY before and we settled on this unit because we've both drove through the area south of Casper a few times and we're trying to get doe antelope tags in the same area. We're planning to hunt Units 66 & 70, I've been scouting online with OnX and I plan to make a trip out there once we draw the tags. Any insight would be appreciated, mainly wondering if we're wasting our time and points going with this unit.

Did you guys draw a region D tag? Just wondering and following this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longjoshr

FNG
Taking some interest in this thread because I just drew the same tag. I've heard some mixed reviews about units 66 and 70, and definitely understand the advantage of private access.

Those that have hunted this area: Is there some merit to going down to 74, 75, 76, and 77 during the October 1-14 dates? It appears that 90% of people drawing this tag talk about 66 and 70, and I'd assume there's a reason for that. :)

I'm relatively new to the site, and this will be my first Wyoming hunt. I actually applied for this alongside a few Antelope units hoping I could hunt both, but just happy to be out there hunting. Any pointers are much appreciated!

reese

FNG
I also drew this tag, planning to go alone, and bow hunt in September.

looking at the NF in 75/76 and getting back in there, mostly worried about running into elk hunters more than anything. I also know there was a fire somewhere in that vicinity too, not sure how that factors into those areas but just wondering if thoughts on that plan at that time of year.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
I would avoid 76 this year as that burned most of the southern end and it burned hot, probably won't be good for a while. Went out there this spring and there was hardly any new growth popping through. Bad hydrophobic soils in most spots. If you're going in September go 10k plus, those deer migrate down and its hotter than hades below that elevation.

wytx

WKR
I don't know aidan I see plenty of deer down lower in Sept. Just depends on the area.
I would not worry about elk hunters they may throw some info your way on deer.
Good deer to the south of 66 and 70 but you'll work for them.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know aidan I see plenty of deer down lower in Sept. Just depends on the area.
I would not worry about elk hunters they may throw some info your way on deer.
Good deer to the south of 66 and 70 but you'll work for them.
I would agree, I do see and have killed multiple down low in some of those areas during rifle season. Depending on when he is planning to go in September I would say the only issue with lower is that it gets pretty dang hot (depending on the year) that can make a lot of those deer pretty nocturnal. Seems like the deer that I have see higher up will get up and move around more throughout the day and you have a better chance of seeing them at like 1-2 in the afternoon as opposed to right after sunrise and right before sunset like the deer down lower. Wherever you go if you glass well and are patient you will find deer like most places.

longjoshr

FNG
I have a week to hunt out there, and I'm debating coming October 1st-14th for the southern sections, or waiting until the 15th-21st for 66 and 70 to open up. Is there an advantage or disadvantage that you guys see to either of these strategies?

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
I have a week to hunt out there, and I'm debating coming October 1st-14th for the southern sections, or waiting until the 15th-21st for 66 and 70 to open up. Is there an advantage or disadvantage that you guys see to either of these strategies?
If you come out early then you will be fighting with other deer hunters. If you wait till the 15th, elk season opens up so generally that is where a lot of residents focus shifts. But ultimately it depends on what you're looking for in a hunt.

OP
S
I received my Region D tag the other day in the mail. I also drew a unit 47 doe antelope tag. I'm really torn between hunting early August down in units 75/76 or the later season in 66. I did a little tour through 66 last month and the only area I saw that looked good was Shirley Mtns. I'm planning to run out there again in September to see how bad the drought affected the units.

longjoshr

FNG
I'm in the same boat. I'm headed out there in a few weeks to visit a customer and hoping to spend a few days checking things out. Maybe we can compare some notes when I'm back.

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I’m considering a region D tag this yr as a NR since I just burned all my pts for H last yr. Hoping for an early season high country back pack type trip. Any of you had good experiences like that in 66?

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I’m considering a region D tag this yr as a NR since I just burned all my pts for H last yr. Hoping for an early season high country back pack type trip. Any of you had good experiences like that in 66?
Deer unit 66 isn’t really that type of unit. Think sagebrush up into smaller mountains with public private mix. It’s not alpine and not really a backpacking unit. I’m sure you can do it but I live here and that’s really not what you’d find. Nothing like H

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Deer unit 66 isn’t really that type of unit. Think sagebrush up into smaller mountains with public private mix. It’s not alpine and not really a backpacking unit. I’m sure you can do it but I live here and that’s really not what you’d find. Nothing like H
Thanks for letting me know