What to look for in a Mtn Bike? Never Been

Read 2-3 threads over the last year. Some guys here REALLY nerd out on the bikes. Totally foreign to me. I don't even know how to ride one (not quite literally...but I did want to ask how often are you to be swapping gears?). I don't ever see myself going off the deep end with a bike. Too many other interests.

But where would I start to search? Head spins with all the options and YouTube BS. Totally not my swim lane. Im 48. Short 5'8". 225 pounds and stout. No clue on frames. Intent is to goof around, access behind locked gates for hunting access. Burn calories. Ease up on knee wear from running. Think this is a HardTail? Don't want to break the bank. Soooo many frame, tire size, component questions. Dude in Texas last year got a TimberJack?? That's the last rabbit hole I went down. Selling my home next month and will have a little pocket cash.

Poser

WKR
Timberjack is a reasonable option. You could even go less aggressive geometry with a more XC (cross country) design that the Timberjack. Certainly, A hardtail is all you need.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer a 29'er as you get better ground clearance. Stay away from cheap steel frame junk from box stores. Giant, Trek, specialized all good options along with others. You can get something functional under $1K. Spend the money to add some kind of flat tire defense Stanz or other. Definitely, get a repair kit to keep on your bike (primarily flat repair) and learn how to use it. Walking a bike out sucks. Go to a local bike store and let them help you through it. Try a couple brands in you price range (may take more than one store) as bikes fit people differently.

Warning they're kind of addictive.

OP
J
$1500ish budget. Think disc brakes are kinda mandatory and an area where Box Store bikes lack? I could try 20 bikes and have no clue what I am looking for feeling!

Poser

WKR
This 27.5 isn't the Be All, End All for my application?

27.5s are definitely fading in popularity, but they are still abundantly available. Salsa probably leads the pack these days in 27.5 sales because they are still very popular for bikepacking. I have a 29er wheel set and a 27.5 and I prefer the 27.5. I wouldn’t worry about it too much in your case. If you look at comparisons on YouTube, you’ll find that pros see less than a 2 second time difference when competing against themselves with the two wheel sizes.

Phaseolus

WKR
I would look for a high end USED mtn bike. You can get quality for a lot less after someone has taken the shine off of it. My current ride is a Santa Cruz 5010 CC with carbon wheels, yes I am a bike nerd.

OP
J
Can I even start by looking for a frame size for my build, or is even that not simple? Is this like pants.....not all 33X32 fit the same, even though the sizes show same specs?

Beendare

WKR
27.5 bikes are more agile....the gold standard for guys riding technical trails as those 27.5s as they have tighter more responsive turning on a shorter WB.

I think you need to get out and ride some. I like a hardtail 29'er, but I don't ride the technical stuff with tight weaving trails and boulders. Longer WB bigger wheels give you a smoother ride. Sounds like you should be looking for what is termed a 'Cross country bike'

I've seen some good name brand hardtail bikes for under $1000. A little more gets you an excellent bike...like this Marin. And BTW, this Jensons is an excellent online bike store, for bikes, parts, etc.
Marin Team

The one issue you will have is being 225#, the standard Disc brakes 160mm on these bikes are pretty mediocre. They might be fine but if you are going to be going fast down hills....you would be wise to upgrade the brakes to a better 180mm disc and better calipers [Shimano Zee, XT, something like that]

_____

excaliber

WKR
There are some deals to be found on 29er Hardtails. I'm still riding my 2012 Giant XTC with all XT parts and it will handle just about anything I ride here in the Foothills. I'd search craigslist and look for a Giant or Trek bike. Specialized is another option. The older 3x9's or 3x10's would be cheaper than the newer 2x or 1x drivetrains.

Most of the boutique brands will be quite a bit higher in price. If you can find a full suspension 29er for a bit more that could be an option. A used Trek Top Fuel or Fuel-Ex would be a nice bike and could be found for another 500.00 Scott also builds some nice bikes.

Try a search at Pinkbike

Let us know what you end up with.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
You'll want a frame size to fit your build. Guys at the shop will help you with that. The geometry of the frame is far more important than the actual frame size. I am far far from an expert but geometry is key.

29-27.5 ride both and see what you like. I currently have a 29, don't like it and never have. I rode the old 26's for years. Switched to a 29 and it still feels like I need a Wal Mart parking lot to turn the thing around. It is not "nimble" by any stretch.

Apollo117

WKR
Contact local universities to see if they have an annual bike auction. My local university rounds up all the bikes that are obviously abandoned and auctions them at the end of the semester. It baffles me that people leave Treks, Giants, Specialized, etc bikes just unlocked on campus, but it happens. I've gotten a nice Jamis road bike and a nice Fuji mountain bike from this auction.

To reiterate a previous post, disk brakes are better than caliper brakes.

You can get a really solid hardtail for $1500. I'd buy a year old model and upgrade what you want with the extra cash. A full suspention in that price range is going to leave you wanting better components and "where did that noise come from?". I love carbon cranks and tubeless rim/tire setup. Rotational weight is what matters.

Go to a local bike shop and demo some stuff. They should be able to get you on a bike that fits. Make sure you talk to someone who knows what they are doing.

In a prior life I built custom bike frames. One of the biggest things I would get requests for is additional bottle bosses and rack capacity. If you want to haul anything on the bike take that into consideration.

I would stay away from aluminum hard tails. They will eventually crack and can't be repaired.

I have a soft spot for steel, even over my Ti frames. It can be very comfortable to ride and it isn't much more weight than a Ti frame.

Some folks in you height range think a 29er is too clumsy. Unless your trying to blow up berms or something I wouldn't worry about it. They roll over stuff so well compared to a 27.5. You would be surprised.

Plenty of good options in that budget. Stay away from fat tire. They have their place but for general riding can be a pain in the ass.

Specialized Fuse is a nice do all bike.

For fit, You can get a general sense from specs but to really nail it you need to go to a shop that knows what they are doing. Bikes shops are a bit like bow shops in that They probably only stock one or two flagship brands very deeply, so you may need to visit more than one shop to get a true sampling.

I’m very interested in this. My current bike is a 2018 KTM 300XC (2 stroke beast). I’ve never owned a mountain bike. I think it’s something I’d like to try. My question is I’m a heavier guy. I’m 220-225 pounds depending on what time of year it is. I’m not fat. I’m what most would call a bodybuilder, although I don’t think of myself or refer to myself as such. Is my weight an issue for these bikes? Would a suspension bike be better for me? I’m literally clueless on this subject. I know that I need to visit a bike shop and get fitted.

ZDR

WKR
Check out ‘the pro’s closet.’ They sell high end used bikes and there’s some good deals there. Great service over the phone - advice, fitting etc.

Wrench

WKR
Jesse, you should quiz 208 mountainbiker. Tim has made a habit of killing bulls off his bike with a Bob behind it.....and he's in CDA so he can probably point you to some deals.

Riplip

WKR
You can get a pretty nice full suspension bike at $1,500 these days.

Check out Canyon (direct to consumer, lots of bang for the buck). Nueron Al can be had for about $1500

Would also check out Giant Stance 29 (2) - $1,550