What to look for in a Mtn Bike? Never Been

tdot

WKR
Tdot, I've never heard of this kit. Has it been around a while? Proven reliable? Do you know if it is at all waterproof for riding in wet conditions? Also, how does power consumption/battery life compare to modern Bafang? I'm assuming it offers PAS AND thumb throttle. Thanks for any real world experience you can offer!

It's been around a couple of years. I haven't heard of any issues with reliability. The controller is potted and the motor is sealed, so about as waterproof as you can get.

They use a torque sensing bb instead of PAS. It's pretty nice. Throttle as well.

I can't comment on power consumption vs. Bafang as I havent tested them head to head. But I've been impressed so far in comparison to my wife's new Bosch system and I'm using up gobs more power.

The major issues have all been associated with their controller/App interface and programming. The main issues seem to have been rectified with their most recent firmware updates and they have been very good to work with

tdot

WKR
Yeah, it makes a difference. I'm around 240# right now and I feel like I'm working against my full suspension bike when I'm not clipped in.

I rode a buddies Trek Farley [the big fat tires] and on uphills it felt like I was just compressing the tires working hard and going nowhere. He is about 130# and its perfect.

I think we are seeing....this is like picking out a bow or a rifle...no one size fits all.

Watch about 5 min of this to see what some of these bikes are capable of....awesome, but thats NOT me.....I'm too big and old for that....

Thanks for that video! It was good to see an unexpected video of the Whistler Bike Park. That place used to be home.

The crazy thing about those guys is they are only on Enduro bikes, not even full on Downhill bikes.

rjf611

FNG
No, the Trance had been around a while. Mine is 5-6 years old and it is a 29er. You can find reviews online about the bike online from several years ago and they all mention the front end float and geometry issues.

It can be improved some with different bars and neck but persists even with the changes. I'm sure they have addressed it on the newer bikes.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yes from the what I have read about that bike I agree. They stopped making the 29 Trance after that until 2019’s redesign. I do not have any of those issues.
Quite honestly there are many bikes that would work for the OP.
I posted that one because I ride the same frame geometry(carbon tho), am very happy with it and think it Is a quality bike at a good price to develop some skills on, enjoy and not lose your shirt on if you chose to sell and upgrade.

I was in same position as OP, haven’t ridden in years, not knowing what to look for in a bike. Demoing bikes takes a lot of time, travel and effort. I found a great shop that supports me with great advice and service before and after my purchase. So I wanted to let him be aware of that. I think for a new rider having support from a good shop is worthwhile.
I found a good deal on it, it had great reviews and I like the way it rides. Suspension is firm when pedaling, not a squishy mess like I thought full suspension bikes were. It lets me grow as a rider and I think it will do the same for the OP.

jmez

WKR
The only issue I have is the light front end. I like the bike. What I was told when I bought it and what I've read is since Giant is so big you get a lot of bike for the money with their lower end bikes. Much moreso than other brands. I think they are pretty hard to best for the money.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
There's 10+ solid bike makers out there with lots of models under your $1,500 budget. All have slightly different geometry so hit as many bike shops as you can and try them. Giant, Trek, Scott, etc., don't get hung up on a brand name before you sit on them. In the $1,200-$1,500 price range they'll all be playing with the same quality levels of Shimano or SRAM components. $1,500 should obviously get you a slight step up in a few components over a $1,200 bike but all the components in this range are pretty darn good.

29ers have great rolling speed and rolls more easily over roots etc. A 27.5 is more nimble if your doing trails with tight turns. You really need to try both and decide which feels more comfortable to you. I think initially most people would say the 27.5 because it feels more maneuverable. The 29er feels bigger but they make up for it with how well they carry speed.

For general trails and mining roads into the backcountry, a hard tail would be my choice. The hard tail will also save you weight over a full suspension. Consider a 1x front drivetrain. A 1x10 or 1x12 covers most all gears you typically use and simplifies the system. 2x front drives are still good but stay far away from a 3x front drive. Many bikes in your price are starting to come with dropper seat posts, which is a nice feature.

I saw some one mentioned me. Thanks.
you could say i like to hunt via bike. For a long time, the bike i used was just what ever i had. Now, i have a dedicated bike to hunting. It is the green one with racks and a frame bag.
But here is some of the bikes i have used over the years. My first bull came out on bike in 2002. I do prefer the bob trailer, but it is all i know.

Attachments

• IMG_0322res.JPG
    IMG_0322res.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1271res.JPG
    IMG_1271res.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20151013_095333.jpg
    20151013_095333.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Untitled attachment 00162.jpg
    Untitled attachment 00162.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20171018_115906.jpg
    20171018_115906.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 26

Beendare

WKR
Can most of these be converted to an e-bike with the bafang kit? Any geometry specs you need to be aware of related to fitting the motor, and especially the battery pack?
I converted my 29er to an Bike with the Bafang BBSHD motor...and started a thread in the DIY section on it with all of the info and links a guy needs on this.
BD752534-BE5A-4F03-AFEA-5E516DD830BE.jpeg
The hardcore mountain bike guys probably won't like these...but for an older guy like myself....it extends my range.
It takes a little getting used to if you ride regularly as it makes the bike very heavy. The power of this BBSHD motor is pretty incredible....and I haven't gone over a 5 yet....didn't need to.

_____

Last edited: