What to look for in trekking poles

gethuntin

WKR
What features does one look for, like length for pitching tarps, what's considered lightweight, twist or cam lock, type of feet ,handles? Kinda looking at mountain smith.

I just purchased a pair of carbon black diamonds. Incredible poles. These are cork handles incredibly comfortable. The locks are lever locks not twist. I like the lever much better.

I look for lever locks. I also use black diamond aluminium poles because they are very stout. I'm a bigger guy so that plays into why I want the heavier duty aluminium.

huntndad

FNG
I just purchased a set of lever-lock aluminum poles from Walmart, ya Walmart, for about $30. There were some decent reviews for them on a few different backpacking websites. I've never used poles, so I figured I'd give them a try.

I am not a fan of the twist locks. I have a pair of Leki poles that are only a year old and the twist locks on both no longer work properly. And I just found out they are not covered by the warranty. So I'm looking at BD FL Z poles.

I just purchased a set of lever-lock aluminum poles from Walmart, ya Walmart, for about $30. There were some decent reviews for them on a few different backpacking websites. I've never used poles, so I figured I'd give them a try.

My buddy bought those when we were in Idaho 2 years ago. They broke on the first ascent and were slipping before as well. I'd suggest returning them and looking for black diamonds on sale. Buy once and cry once with an item that takes as much stress as trekking poles.

I prefer flick locks as they are much stronger and require less maintenance than twist locks. I look for collapsible length as well as extended length to make sure I can use them with all of my shelters. I do prefer aluminum as they handle a bit more stress than the carbons do, but its not a deal breaker for me.

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the Black Diamond Z-Poles, all carbon, and go together like your tent poles do, no twist or lever lock. Super light, love them.
The only downside is they are not length adjustable, you have to order the length you want.
Just do a search, you can find last years models for a discount.

shaun

WKR
I picked up a kinda hybrid set this year from Easton the first 2 sections are carbon fiber and the bottom is aluminum so if it gets bound up in rocks etc light weight and durable can't go wrong

jherald

WKR
I've had good use out of Leki Malaku twist locks. 3 years so far, over 20 ten+ mile hikes and 4 mountain hunts on them. One of the poles did get slightly bent on the last hunt but I was running a real haul of a load, moose quarters.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both but Flick locks work best for me. Someday I might try carbon fiber poles, but for now, my Black Diamond Trail Shock aluminum poles are sturdy and perform well.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am preferential to the BD Zpoles.....they are some on sale at the Black Diamond website.....Ultra Distance Trekking Pole - 149.95 USD

$104.95 USD ........they weigh around 10 oz per the set and have a rubberized grip. As noted they are not adjustable, so you have to pick the appropriate size.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Leki Corklite with Speedlock. Used them on 2 hunts last year as well as a center pole for a Golite SL5. I like them allot and don't know why I didn't buy a set earlier.