What to pack for first hunt

ofl0926

WKR
Hey what’s up everyone. With all the sales going on, I’m trying to see if I need to purchase any additional clothing for next year elk hunt in Oregon. So listed below is what I have. I want to see what setup you guys recommend to pack. If I am missing anything clothing related, please mention it. The clothing is from first lite.

Jackets
  • Sanctuary jacket
  • puffy
  • catalyst
  • sawtooth

Pants
  • north branch pants
  • kanab pants
  • corrugate

Layers
  • halstead fleece
  • chama 230g top
  • furnace 350g top
  • aerowool wilkin 150g top
  • aerowool fuse 200g bottoms
  • Allegheny 230g bottoms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Rain pants and jacket. Gloves. Head gear. Otherwise, you have more stuff than you need to take.

Jeremy

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Rain pants and jacket. Gloves. Head gear. Otherwise, you have more stuff than you need to take.

Jeremy

I will make note of those recommendations. I don’t want to pack all of my gear that is why I was asking what do you guys suggest and packing.

ljalberta

WKR
I think much of it depends on your hunting style, how cold you personally get, and the season you plan on hunting. I have nearly the same basic gear for much of the year from 3 days to 11+ days.

Worn Clothing:

Socks
Underwear
Pants
Merino long sleeve (lightweight)
Hat

Packed Clothing

Rain jacket
Rain pants
Puffy (which one depends on temperature expected - I always err on the safe side - I hate being cold)
1 pair long underwear
1 spare merino long sleeve (lightweight)
1 spare underwear
1 spare pair of socks
Touque

Optional Depending on Area/Weather/Season:

Fleece mid-layer
Puffy vest
Puffy pants (new addition this year)
Neck gaiter
Gaiters
Gloves/Mitts

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I think much of it depends on your hunting style, how cold you personally get, and the season you plan on hunting. I have nearly the same basic gear for much of the year from 3 days to 11+ days.

Worn Clothing:

Socks
Underwear
Pants
Merino long sleeve (lightweight)
Hat

Packed Clothing

Rain jacket
Rain pants
Puffy (which one depends on temperature expected - I always err on the safe side - I hate being cold)
1 pair long underwear
1 spare merino long sleeve (lightweight)
1 spare underwear
1 spare pair of socks
Touque

Optional Depending on Area/Weather/Season:

Fleece mid-layer
Puffy vest
Puffy pants (new addition this year)
Neck gaiter
Gaiters
Gloves/Mitts

I like the list.
I’m going to eastern Oregon and it will be during November. I’m from Florida so I do tend to get cold. I have the FL puffy. Is there another puffy I should look at?

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
What gaitors can you guys recommend? FL, kuiu, Sitka, OR?!?

ljalberta

WKR
I also have the Unpronounceable puffy from FL. I have never been to Oregon in November, so I have no idea what sort of weather you'll be expecting. From my personal experience hunting Alberta with it I've found it's a great active layer for late seasons or early season stationary insulation layer, however I don't find it a great choice for sitting still or extended glassing session for anything under 40F if there's any wind. This is based on using just a long sleeve base layer, the puffy, and then a lightweight rain shell overtop while sheep hunting.

Two weeks ago however it was a fantastic piece of insulation while hunting mule deer. Temperatures began in the morning around 3 to 8F and generally rose to about 26 or 27F by mid day with a heck of a lot of wind. I wore a merino base layer, a mid-weight fleece and the puffy. We were predominantly hiking coulees and glassing new exposed terrain as we went, without any extended glassing periods where we actually sat down. We had doe tags, so we weren't concerned with picking out any superstar bucks. I stayed perfectly warm doing this active style hunting even amidst the wind and cool morning temperatures, however even stopping for 10 minutes I would rapidly cool down. I also think I run a tad colder than most people seem to on this forum.

I couldn't guess if it will be sufficient for you with your style hunting during that season in Oregon, but hopefully some others with experience will be able to chime in and you'll be able to gather a better idea of what will suit your needs.

Wapiti1

WKR
The FL puffy (unpronouncable or down, not cirrus) will be good in Nov. I own OR gaiters, specifically their crocodile and verglas. The Verglas are lighter and seem to be as durable.

You didn't say if it is a base camp hunt or backpacking.

My list is a hodgepodge of hunting and non-hunting brands. I don't match and only wear camo in archery season.

Base camp, I take:
Rain jacket, rain pants, a puffy hoody, 2 pair 150gr bottoms, 2 pair 150gr tops, 4 merino t-shirts, 2 pair pants (mine are close to the corrugate), 1 300gr fleece hoody, 1 fleece hunter orange vest, socks and skivvies for each day plus extra socks.

If it will be really cold, like <20 all the time, I'll add a primaloft vest, and change the pants to soft shell pants.

I like windproof fleece liner gloves with over-mittens. Mittens are much warmer than gloves, IMO.

If backpacking, I pair down the socks and skivvies to one per three days, and drop to 1 each of the thermal top and bottom. Also drop to 2 t-shirts. Keep in mind some of this I wear in, and don't take a duplicate.

Don't discount a balaclava, and good touque. Use the rain gear for wind shelter. Wear minimal layers to hike. Put warm layers on IMMEDIATELY when you get to a spot to glass from. Don't wait until you are cold, then start layering up. You will freeze your ass off and never warm up. Loosen your boots as well. Blood warms the feet, so let the blood circulate.

Jeremy

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
The FL puffy (unpronouncable or down, not cirrus) will be good in Nov. I own OR gaiters, specifically their crocodile and verglas. The Verglas are lighter and seem to be as durable.

You didn't say if it is a base camp hunt or backpacking.

My list is a hodgepodge of hunting and non-hunting brands. I don't match and only wear camo in archery season.

Base camp, I take:
Rain jacket, rain pants, a puffy hoody, 2 pair 150gr bottoms, 2 pair 150gr tops, 4 merino t-shirts, 2 pair pants (mine are close to the corrugate), 1 300gr fleece hoody, 1 fleece hunter orange vest, socks and skivvies for each day plus extra socks.

If it will be really cold, like <20 all the time, I'll add a primaloft vest, and change the pants to soft shell pants.

I like windproof fleece liner gloves with over-mittens. Mittens are much warmer than gloves, IMO.

If backpacking, I pair down the socks and skivvies to one per three days, and drop to 1 each of the thermal top and bottom. Also drop to 2 t-shirts. Keep in mind some of this I wear in, and don't take a duplicate.

Don't discount a balaclava, and good touque. Use the rain gear for wind shelter. Wear minimal layers to hike. Put warm layers on IMMEDIATELY when you get to a spot to glass from. Don't wait until you are cold, then start layering up. You will freeze your ass off and never warm up. Loosen your boots as well. Blood warms the feet, so let the blood circulate.

Jeremy

this will be a base camp style hunt. i am bringing a 22mag/frame for my day pack.
i like your list. especially how you broke it down by quantity. i am trying to prevent overpacking but being as prepared as possible.

which gloves/mitten could you recommend? liner gloves? touque?

Wapiti1

WKR
I take a pair of windstopper fleece liner gloves (I think mine are eddie bauer or hestra), and a pair of Marmot Precip shell mittens. Hestra also makes mitten shells. I treat my hands the same as the rest of me. Wear something breathable and warm while hiking, and put on a shell when I stop to hold in the heat.

My touque, beanie, watchcap is of unknown origin. I just grab a dark colored one out of the closet. It goes on over an old Montana Grizzlies ball cap.

Throw in some camp shoes as well.

Jeremy

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I take a pair of windstopper fleece liner gloves (I think mine are eddie bauer or hestra), and a pair of Marmot Precip shell mittens. Hestra also makes mitten shells. I treat my hands the same as the rest of me. Wear something breathable and warm while hiking, and put on a shell when I stop to hold in the heat.

My touque, beanie, watchcap is of unknown origin. I just grab a dark colored one out of the closet. It goes on over an old Montana Grizzlies ball cap.

Jeremy

copy that, truly appreciate it

rbljack

WKR
I also have the Unpronounceable puffy from FL. I have never been to Oregon in November, so I have no idea what sort of weather you'll be expecting. From my personal experience hunting Alberta with it I've found it's a great active layer for late seasons or early season stationary insulation layer, however I don't find it a great choice for sitting still or extended glassing session for anything under 40F if there's any wind. This is based on using just a long sleeve base layer, the puffy, and then a lightweight rain shell overtop while sheep hunting.

Two weeks ago however it was a fantastic piece of insulation while hunting mule deer. Temperatures began in the morning around 3 to 8F and generally rose to about 26 or 27F by mid day with a heck of a lot of wind. I wore a merino base layer, a mid-weight fleece and the puffy. We were predominantly hiking coulees and glassing new exposed terrain as we went, without any extended glassing periods where we actually sat down. We had doe tags, so we weren't concerned with picking out any superstar bucks. I stayed perfectly warm doing this active style hunting even amidst the wind and cool morning temperatures, however even stopping for 10 minutes I would rapidly cool down. I also think I run a tad colder than most people seem to on this forum.

I couldn't guess if it will be sufficient for you with your style hunting during that season in Oregon, but hopefully some others with experience will be able to chime in and you'll be able to gather a better idea of what will suit your needs.

I would second this. For me....I run FL base layer of merino wool. Either long sleeve llano or chama. Over that I wore the FL Halstead fleece layer. I would put my puffy on I stopped to glass or sit for a while. I would also add my rain jacket over that to keep the wind down. I would stay warm when hiking, and actually sweat if I left the jacket on. Definilty helped to leave it off until sitting down for a glass session. But with that said...I would still get cold while sitting when the temps were down, and the wind was up if we weren't active for any period of time. My two biggest problem areas were my toes and my fingers. Still trying to dial a glove system in. I may try the chopper mitts with the wool liners for the colder temps. I did pick up the puffy pants this year, and they were a nice addition. I was able to leave the Long John bottoms off, and put the puffy pants on when needed instead. My hope was to be able to leave the LJ's out of the pack completely, but turns out that wont work because the I would only suggest the puffy pants for sitting and glassing. Not for walking around if the country is brushy, or has blow down, etc. they just wont hold up to the brush IMO. I like the Kanab pants as well. I have a pair of corrugates, but haven't tried them yet, so I really cant comment on whether they are better than the kanab.Oh..and I also packed a FL balaclava and a beanie. I packed 1 extra pair of Red desert boxers and 1 extra pair of socks. That covered me for 5 days in the backcountry in WY this year. temps dropped into the teen's and up to the 40's, and we had about 10 inches of snow overnight. Which reminds me.....because of the snow I did wear gaiters. Glad I brought them too.

Last edited:
OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I would second this. For me....I run FL base layer of merino wool. Either long sleeve llano or chama. Over that I wore the FL Halstead fleece layer. I would put my puffy on I stopped to glass or sit for a while. I would also add my rain jacket over that to keep the wind down. I would stay warm when hiking, and actually sweat if I left the jacket on. Definilty helped to leave it off until sitting down for a glass session. But with that said...I would still get cold while sitting when the temps were down, and the wind was up if we weren't active for any period of time. My two biggest problem areas were my toes and my fingers. Still trying to dial a glove system in. I may try the chopper mitts with the wool liners for the colder temps. I did pick up the puffy pants this year, and they were a nice addition. I was able to leave the Long John bottoms off, and put the puffy pants on when needed instead. My hope was to be able to leave the LJ's out of the pack completely, but turns out that wont work because the I would only suggest the puffy pants for sitting and glassing. Not for walking around if the country is brushy, or has blow down, etc. they just wont hold up to the brush IMO. I like the Kanab pants as well. I have a pair of corrugates, but haven't tried them yet, so I really cant comment on whether they are better than the kanab.Oh..and I also packed a FL balaclava and a beanie. I packed 1 extra pair of Red desert boxers and 1 extra pair of socks. That covered me for 5 days in the backcountry in WY this year. temps dropped into the teen's and up to the 40's, and we had about 10 inches of snow overnight. Which reminds me.....because of the snow I did wear gaiters. Glad I brought them too.

Great info and thanks for the guidance. Which gaiters do you wear?

I'll start by saying I have no experience, I am also hearing up for my first hunt and this is kind of a late reply.

I took advantage of the First Lite sale and went with the things I bought figuring that what I got would get me going yet not be a bunch of extra stuff. Once I get the stuff I ordered I can see how its gonna work for me and then purchase any items missing here and there between now and my hunt.

What I got:
Rain pant
Corrugate pants
Kiln boot top bottom

Kiln top
Klamath fleece hoodie
Rain jacket

Glove liner
Brimmed beanie

Lost Park Parka with Kifaru sale

Things I didnt get but might later
Gaiters
Possibly one more light base layer

Neck gator and gloves were out of stock but will be ordered.

Btaylor

WKR

Jeremy

Some camp slippers is almost as good as a wife with an off button.:cool:

Where in ne oregon are you heading? One of the big 3? If you’re more specific i can offer more targeted conditions you may see.

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
Never been to Oregon, but I do love a neck gaiter. Glad to see you have it listed, those that don't wear one don't know what they missing