What to use for training weight?

SDHNTR

WKR
So if ya want to load up the pack and get some excercise in, what do you use for weight? I really don't feel like unpacking all my usual backpacking gear to load on the pack. Need something more practical. I've tried all the usual rocks, dumbells, even a 6 gallon water jug, but nothing really duplicates the feel of a hunting pack. There has to be a better way. What do you guys use?

OBP

WKR
I use a tube of sand, the kind you use to throw in your vehicle in the winter. Weighs around 55 lbs and I can really cinch it down inside my pack.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
jysy5ara.jpg

Ethel and Myrtle there weigh 50 lbs each.

Take a 50 lb sandbag, fill up 16 quart freezer bags with the sand. Wrap each with duct tape, put two small bags in a gallon freezer bag, wrap again with duct tape. Put all 8 packages in a stuff sack.

You can beat the heck out of these and it won't leak.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
I've used both Sand and Fertilizer. I like the sand the best for weight to bulk ration. From experience if using sand double bag it. Sand is a pain in the A@@ to get out of your backpack.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
thanks guys. Some good ideas. One time I took a bag of Quickrete and sprayed it with water and let it harden. That worked pretty well. Might have to give that a shot again. It at least kept the material from sinking mostly to the bottom.

crumy

WKR
Here is an idea I have used and it works pretty good for me. Get two 5 gallon water bladder and fill them up. Go for your hike/walk. If at any point you decide that you just can't go or don't want to carry the weight any more just empty them. Then you can start over. Or leave them in and use them again.. I put them in a big lawn garbage bag just in case it leaks.

Hike&Hunt

FNG
I picked up a 70 lb weight vest a couple of months back. It was around $200, part of my decision was it keeps a much more expensive pack on the shelf in the garage. The vest can easily be thrown in the washing machine when it gets funky. With the weight in front and back, it feels heavier than pack weight, just different I suppose.

Hunting and camping gear works pretty good and is lots more fun for me than carrying around bags of sand or jugs of water.

Here is an idea I have used and it works pretty good for me. Get two 5 gallon water bladder and fill them up. Go for your hike/walk. If at any point you decide that you just can't go or don't want to carry the weight any more just empty them. Then you can start over. Or leave them in and use them again.. I put them in a big lawn garbage bag just in case it leaks.

That also really helps to simulate boned out meat to see how well your pack cinches down and controls a 'wobbly' load. Though I'd be careful cinching down too hard on the water bags! :)

Mike

sk1

WKR
40lb bag of water softener salt fills up the pack nicely, i just toss it in a garbage bag

Scoutman

FNG
I use 5lb bags of rice,they settle down just like boned meat.You can eat it when your done,I never need rice now.

2rocky

WKR
Head down to old Mexico NATE ol' Boy...I hear they will pay ya to back pack back North. You might even get some cardio if the DEA shows up!

Better yet, your Lil' Fellar would probably ride well. Rig it like this..

PapooseBoard.jpg

Last edited: